FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iPad to Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1075538-ipad-mexico.html)

jwhite4304 Apr 18, 2010 11:41 am

iPad to Mexico

Any issues with taking a iPad to Mexico. Going to Cancun in May and want to make sure I have no problems entering or leaving. Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 18, 2010 5:16 pm

I dont know whether to laugh of roll my eyes at this question.

Why would you have problems with an ipad in Mexico? They're not afraid of technology south of the border.

jwhite4304 Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 13797480)
I dont know whether to laugh of roll my eyes at this question.

Why would you have problems with an ipad in Mexico? They're not afraid of technology south of the border.

Laugh - Israel has banned the iPad.

Rampo Apr 19, 2010 8:44 am

Apart from Israel and possibly North Korea, it's highly unlikely that there would be a problem with bringing in an iPad.

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Laugh - Israel has banned the iPad.
The israelis are paranoid of everything. A change in wind direction is enough to justify a cavity search by the mossad.

That's why I wanted to :rolleyes:. For anyone to think Mexico is spending an ounce of concern on ipads is insane. I think Mexico has far more problems to deal with than worrying about tourists with ipads. Apparently, there's this little drug war going on down there.

gj83 Apr 19, 2010 4:02 pm

I'd be more afraid from theft for leaving it around, but that can happen just as easily in the US

rogerh Jul 22, 2010 9:19 am

There are Issues With iPad in Mexico

Just entered Mexico yesterday with an iPad and there are problems now. Mexico now considers the iPad a computer and if you are also traveling with a laptop they consider that you have 2 computers and it is not allowed. I spent 30 min going back & forth with Aduanas (customs) that this was not a computer. In the end I was able to keep it and not pay a fine for not declaring it however I doubt most people would be successful in arguing this with them. Mexico has changed their customs form within the past 2 months and in the section for computers there is a statement using the term "or similar" and this is where they get you. So if you enter with a laptop and an iPad be aware that you can be fined 70% to 100% of the value or have it or the laptop confiscated. I hope they change this and I fear other Latin American countries may have similar problems. Will be in Argentina next month and will investigate first before traveling with it.

gfunkdave Jul 22, 2010 9:29 am

I don't understand why they would care if you brought one, two, or ten computers into the country - especially if they were your personal property that you would then bring out of the country.

ESpen36 Jul 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Here is the relevant documentation from the Mexican Customs website regarding computers:

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mex...139_10210.html

Which items may be included in my personal luggage exempt from duty?

Goods for personal use, such as clothing, footwear and personal toiletries and beauty products, as long as they are appropriate for the duration of the trip, including wedding party items.

Two photographic cameras or video recorders, 12 rolls of film or videocassettes; photographic material; two cellular telephones or radio phones; a portatil typewriter; an electronic calendar; a portable computer (laptop), notebook, omnibook or similar items; a copier or portable printer; a portable projector, and their accessories.

Two sports equipment, four rods, three speedboats with or without sails and their accessories, trophies or recognitions, provided that they can be transported normally and commonly by the passenger, one stair climber and bicycle

A portable radio for the recording or reproduction of sound or mixed tapes; or a digital sound reproducer or portable reproducer of compact discs and a portable reproducer of DVD’s, such as a pair of portable speakers, and their accessories.

Five laser disks, 10 DVD disks, 30 compact disks (CD) or magnetic tapes (audiocassettes), for the reproduction of sound and five storage devices or memory cards for any electronic equipments.

Books, magazines and printed documents.

Five toys, —included those that are collectible— and a video game console and videogames.

One device that permits measurement of arterial pressure and one for glucose, as well as medications of personal use; in the case of psychotropics the medical prescription should be shown.

One set of binoculars and a telescope.

Valises, trunks and suitcases necessary for the movement of goods.

Passengers over 18 years of age, may introduce a maximum of up to 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine; in excess of the above, cannot be imported without complying with applicable regulations and restrictions.

Baby travel accesories, such as strollers and baby-walkers

Two musical instruments and its accessories.

A camping tent and camping equipment, as well as their accessories.

Handicapped or old travelers may introduce items for personal use, useful to have a better performance of their activities, such as walkers, wheelchairs, crutches and canes.

A set of tools including its case, it might have a hand drill, wire cutters, wrenches, dices, screwdrivers, current cables, among others.

Beddings, that will be able to include a set of matching sheets and pillowcases, a set of towels, a set of bath, a set of table linen and a set of kitchen.

Up to two dogs or cats, maybe introduced as well as their accesories, provided that the corresponding zoosanitary import certificate issued by (SAGARPA) is presented to the customs officials.

Última actualización: 14/abril/2008, 19:36, información vigente.

(emphasis mine)

An iPad would seem to fit under: a portable computer (laptop), notebook, omnibook or similar items.

ESpen36 Jul 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Also, be sure not to bring your Garbage Pail Kids trading cards, as they are specifically prohibited to be imported into, or exported from, Mexico, under Article 4908.90.05:

Stamps or printed transfers in colors or in black and white, displayed for their sale in envelopes or packages, even when they include chewing gum, candies or any other type of articles, containing drawings, figures or illustrations that represent childhood in a degrading or ridiculous way, on attitudes of incitement to violence, to self-destruction or in any other form of antisocial behavior, known like Garbage Pail Kids, for example, printed by any company or commercial denomination. (to the import or export)

Wouldn't want to "represent childhood in a degrading or ridiculous way" or portray "antisocial behavior" on any belongings!!! :D

manneca Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Wonder where an eReader fits? I could see myself carrying an iPad, a laptop and an eReader. Hope I remember this next time I go to Mexico.

Does anyone know if any other countries limit personal electronics for tourists?

alanh Jul 22, 2010 3:35 pm

The typical restrictions are to catch importers trying to duck import duties, and secondarily business travelers trying to avoid businesses visas.