Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-paid Unlocked Phones

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Pre-paid Unlocked Phones

Can anyone tell me if T-Mobile or AT&T Go Phones come unlocked?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by DCATravel
TMO prepaid phones come locked (at least the last few I bought last year) but will unlock for you, usually with certain conditions.

1. After 90 days from purchase
2. If you have another regular TMO contract plan, they can usually be talked out of the 90 day wait period.

Last edited by dtsm; Jul 1, 2010 at 4:05 am
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:01 am

Both tmobile and AT&T phones come locked. However, both of them will provide the unlock code upon request. As long as you meet certain criteria. such as, how long you've been a customer, when your last topup was, etc.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I had my t-mobile unlocked the day after I bought it, but was a long time prepaid customer. So they don't always stick to the 90 days.

It took a few days to get it done, they send you a form, you send it back, and then two or three days later they supplied the code, so don't wait until the last minute.

The conditions are currently (from their website)

For customers with a T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 60 days of active service with T-Mobile and either a Prepaid Plan account balance of at least $10.00 or a prior refill within the last 30 days

Last edited by cordelli; Jul 1, 2010 at 10:06 am
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:16 am

Hey guys, sorry to jump in on this thread but I have a question and I think you guys can help me. Also, I didn't want to make another thread with this one so close to the top.

My family has Verizon and we are going to Europe for 14 days (Austria for the longest time but also Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic a few days.) My uncle from the states is coming with us and he has a Black Berry Global, so he is covered as far as service. As for my mom dad and I we're in the dark.

I read about European SIM cards and I am fairly good with technology so I think I understand it but I want to clarify.

My needs are to be able to call some relatives still in Europe and call back to the states a couple nights (I will probably link my Google Voice up to this for the cheap rates.)

Here is my question - should I buy a prepaid phone in Europe like at the Airport or drug store or should I buy this phone from Wally World http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-P...tooth/12548189 and then just get a European SIM when I get there?

My other question is if I get a T-Mobile European SIM, will I need to unlock it to put it on the T-Mobile American phone I got? I leave on Saturday so waiting 60-90 days really isn't an option.

Sorry if I'm confusing but I think I'm clear. If not, let me know.

David.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:59 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Most of the prepaid phones on TMO and ATT do not have the 900Mhz and 1800Mhz GSM bands that you will need in Europe. And getting an unlock code for one before the weekend is most unlikely.

Can you borrow an unlocked GSM phone that supports these bands?

Then you could buy a SIM from a phone shop after arrival.

Or, I have seen phone shops (not name brand stores) in Europe that sell used handsets and SIMs. These phones would certainly be unlocked. And the clerk would verify functionality. But expect the battery life to be possibly reduced.

I would expect that if you visit these shops with a humble attitude and appearance, you may get a very good deal.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by DCATravel
They do not. I don't know AT&T's policy but T-Mobile will unlock their prepaid phones after 40 days with the stipulation that you need to have made a money deposit to your account within the last 30 days.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by dthorton15
Here is my question - should I buy a prepaid phone in Europe like at the Airport or drug store or should I buy this phone from Wally World http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-P...tooth/12548189 and then just get a European SIM when I get there?

My other question is if I get a T-Mobile European SIM, will I need to unlock it to put it on the T-Mobile American phone I got? I leave on Saturday so waiting 60-90 days really isn't an option.
One alternative is to buy a new, unlocked quad-band phone from a trusted seller like Amazon; here is one example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

With this phone in hand (charge the battery before you leave), you can just walk into the shop, pay for the SIM, set up the account, and you're good to go. You also get a warranty.

(I did exactly this about 5 years ago - I purchased a T-Mobile Germany SIM at the T-Mobile airport store in Berlin, put it into my unlocked US phone, and had a working phone (the account setup took about 10 minutes)).

* My T-Mo SIM is not locked in any way - for example, I can freely move it from my unlocked smartphone to my second phone (also unlocked) with no problem whatsoever.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:59 pm
Mul

Moto RAZR V3 @BigLots!

If you are nearby BigLots!, they are currently selling Motorolla RAZR V3 quad band for $25 . Reports from fatwallet indicates that this phone is unlocked.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1014701/
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I'd buy a used set for cheap and if needed pay the 3-20 dollars to get a unlock code.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:27 pm

Look on eBay. There are tons of unlocked tri and quad band phones which will work with a European SIM for voice.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:46 pm

Keep in mind that many if not all prepaid phones are not tri/quad band.

If you are looking for an unlock code so you can take the phone to Europe, Asia, ect. It probably won't work
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Motorola RAZR V3 quad band for $25

Still available at Big Lots. I picked one up the other day as a back up phone for my Dad's V3. I popped in a Tmobile SIM and it worked so unlocked at least for Tmobile.

Great phone for the occasional overseas use with a local prepaid SIM or a Sprint or Verizon international SIM.

Jim
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I haven't checked the model line up recently, but a number of the models used to be easily unlocked using instructions readily available online.

That said the biggest problem is the 900/1800 issue. If you're planning to use the phone internationally with any frequency I would bite the bullet and buy an unlocked quad-band phone somewhere. If you aren't spending a lot, it will be a basic phone, but that's the way it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.