Recommendations for noise canceling headphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)

I have never been impressed with the noise canceling headphones handed out by Delta when I have flown Business Elite in the past. I have a few long flights coming up flying in coach (DTW-HKG, SYD-LAX, ATL-DXB, NRT-BKK) and was considering buying a high-priced pair of brand new Bose noise canceling headphones. Would anyone recommend them? Are they worth the price? Thoughts? Sorry if this is misplaced, but I flew DTW-AMS and had a loud German man behind me talking about the nuances of American life for 6 hours and it put me in a sour mood.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
DELETED due to thread title change...

Thanks RSSrsvp.

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Apr 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm Reason: Title change
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
I recently got the Bose QuietComfort 15 noise cancelling headphones (used Marriott Rewards points). I think they are slightly better than the ones Delta provides in BE but they are fantastic. I take them with me on most flights now.

They do a great job getting rid of the constant airplane noise. I don't think they will help much with the loud talkers though.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Bose makes a great product. Pricey, but worth it IMHO. Go for it.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Chooses not to participate in FlyerTalk any longer because of objection to homophobic comments and lack of concern by staff.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...policy-ft.html

Last edited by inyourvillages; May 3, 2010 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am changing the title of this thread to read "Recommendations for noise canceling headphones" from the original title of " Delta Comfort On Board".

In addition I am moving this discussion over to the Travel Tech board which is the correct home for this subject.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Beware of Bose headphones

Bose headphone break easily.

Last year I purchased a set of Bose QC2. I used them for 4-6 flights before the head band broke where the band joins the earpiece. Bose does not sell the piece, so I have to purchase a replacement set for $97 US.

So 299 plus tax and shipping plus $97 plus $ 14 return shipping for the broken set, I question if Bose headphones are worth it. I have been very careful with my Bose, always in the case when not in use etc.

After My QC2 broke I found my seat mate's Bose headphone had broken also, and he said breakage was quite common. So I did a web search and found that cracks and breaks where quite common. So I have to question If the Bose retail headphones that the public can buy ( not the headphone the airline buy) are properly designed and are durable enough to be worth over $300 ( for 6 flights)

As a comparison: My wife has had her Sennhisers for 3 years. She wads then up and throws them in the bottom of her carry on and they are still working!

I am Quite disappointed in the Bose company. They sound good as long as they last! But they are way to fragile for frequent flyer use!

( I got chuckle when I saw the Bose.com add on top of the page!0

Before you purchase do a google search for "Bose Headphone repair".
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by timetosave
They do a great job getting rid of the constant airplane noise. I don't think they will help much with the loud talkers though.
Agreed. They're designed to neutralize low frequencies like rumbling. They're specifically designed not to cut out voice frequencies. It's so you can hear someone yelling 'evacuate!' or 'fire!.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the Audio Technica ANC7's, which cost about a third of what the Bose ones do and do about 90% of the job. I like them quite a lot.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
freee

Originally Posted by 2old4coach
Bose headphone break easily.

Last year I purchased a set of Bose QC2. I used them for 4-6 flights before the head band broke where the band joins the earpiece. Bose does not sell the piece, so I have to purchase a replacement set for $97 US.
you should have gotten a free headband, or free set. That is basically the BOSE repair policy, I have had five pair in the past decade, haven't ever paid for a replacement or repair part even for items that are SEVERAL years old.

The headband on the QC2 v1.0, was a weak spot, I just had a pair from over four years ago, replaced for free (indeed, it did cost me 10$ to ship them to BOSE) but they were clearly out of warranty, I had no receipt and they shipped us a QC2 v2.0 model.

Also, for one with a broken pair of basically ANY of their NC line, many many many people call in are are offered the QC15, the new ones for 99$, or at leas a new QC2.0 v2.0 pair for the same 99$. This can also be done at a bose store and as some have reported extensively here on FT, at the BOSE kiosks in the airports. It isn't a stated policy in their T&C's or warranty, but if they continue to do it for basically all comers, then it becomes a defacto practice nonetheless.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There are lots of threads here on NC options - try a search.

Many folks, myself included, greatly prefer an in-ear option, a Shure or an Etymotic noise-blocking earphone, over a Bose or similar over-the-ear noise-canceling solution. They are much, much smaller/lighter, cut noise across the frequency band vs. the Bose narrow band, and a comparably priced pair sound better, IMHO. Or you can get a set for <$200 that sound just as good.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm Reason: See note below
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
i LOVE my Bose QC15's. they are the mutt's .........
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
noise cancelling

Originally Posted by CPRich
There are lots of threads here on NC options - try a search.

Many folks, myself included, greatly prefer an in-ear option, a Shure or an Etymotic, over a Bose or similar over-the-ear noise-blocking solution. They are much, much smaller/lighter, cut noise across the frequency band vs. the Bose narrow band, and a comparably priced pair sound better, IMHO. Or you can get a set for <$200 that sound just as good.
just to be clear, in ear canal is noise blocking/reducing whereas OVER the ear can be true noise CANCELING.

Although, someone makes a true in ear noise CANCELING headphone, I think it is like 750$?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by nmenaker
just to be clear, in ear canal is noise blocking/reducing whereas OVER the ear can be true noise CANCELING.

Although, someone makes a true in ear noise CANCELING headphone, I think it is like 750$?
Correct, my fault for editing/re-wording on the fly. I'll update the original.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I like the Bose QC15

From the previous owner of Bose QC-1 and QC-2, I prefer the QC-15. The reason I like these better is they are over the ear like the QC-1's and 3's while the QC-2 is on the ear. I wear glasses and do long flights on a regular basis so I find over the ear more comfortable. Besides I think over the ear perform better.
Someone stated beware they break, I have broken mine and Bose replaced them at no charge each time (still under warranty). I recently took in a very old set of QC-1's to the local Bose store and they offered me a good trade up program to the QC-15's (half price I believe not bad for pulling something from the bottom of the drawer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.