Reload this Page >

Recommendations for noise canceling headphones

Recommendations for noise canceling headphones

Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Sennheiser PXC 450

Any comments on the Sennheiser PXC 450?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
FREE

Thanks for the info!

I thought I could do that and save $90. The QC-15 may be a top notch set but I question why I would need to replace the QC2 when it is practically new. I will call again to see if I can get the head band. When I brought that up before the Bose rep said there was a problem rerouting wires replacing the head band etc but I will try again at the Kiosk.

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by nmenaker
you should have gotten a free headband, or free set. That is basically the BOSE repair policy, I have had five pair in the past decade, haven't ever paid for a replacement or repair part even for items that are SEVERAL years old.

The headband on the QC2 v1.0, was a weak spot, I just had a pair from over four years ago, replaced for free (indeed, it did cost me 10$ to ship them to BOSE) but they were clearly out of warranty, I had no receipt and they shipped us a QC2 v2.0 model.

Also, for one with a broken pair of basically ANY of their NC line, many many many people call in are are offered the QC15, the new ones for 99$, or at leas a new QC2.0 v2.0 pair for the same 99$. This can also be done at a bose store and as some have reported extensively here on FT, at the BOSE kiosks in the airports. It isn't a stated policy in their T&C's or warranty, but if they continue to do it for basically all comers, then it becomes a defacto practice nonetheless.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Here are some Sony phones for $18

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...shed-18-a.html

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...2981&t=1969394

Good luck!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
just to be clear, in ear canal is noise blocking/reducing whereas OVER the ear can be true noise CANCELING.

Although, someone makes a true in ear noise CANCELING headphone, I think it is like 750$?
Why would you need cancelling in an in-ear unit? I guarantee the Etymotic and Shure models will eliminate much more noise than the on-ear or even over ear noise-cancelling models.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by deubster
Why would you need cancelling in an in-ear unit?
Because more is better. When I'm on long-haul flights, and really want maximum isolation, I bring along a pair of Plane Quiet over-the-ear NC 'phone to put over my Shure in-ears.

I'm fine with the Shure's isolation ability for most flights, but if I could get NC electronics added at no cost and no loss in sound quality, I'd certainly take it. But I wouldn't pay $750 for it.

but I also wear a set of muffs over 33NRR ear plus when on the lawn tractor, have spent way too much on audio gear, and Mrs. CP worked for a safety company that makes ear protection gear, so I may be a bit on the obsessive side...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by drjazz
Any comments on the Sennheiser PXC 450?
I use these regularly in flight. Like them a lot. The flat pack doesn't take up much space. They are comfortable and sound good. Better sound than the Bose Quietcomfort II which I used to use.

The talkthrough button is useful.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Because more is better. When I'm on long-haul flights, and really want maximum isolation, I bring along a pair of Plane Quiet over-the-ear NC 'phone to put over my Shure in-ears.

I'm fine with the Shure's isolation ability for most flights, but if I could get NC electronics added at no cost and no loss in sound quality, I'd certainly take it. But I wouldn't pay $750 for it.

but I also wear a set of muffs over 33NRR ear plus when on the lawn tractor, have spent way too much on audio gear, and Mrs. CP worked for a safety company that makes ear protection gear, so I may be a bit on the obsessive side...
May be?

I've sat in rows right behind wing engines with screaming babies right in front of me - couldn't hear a thing with my Etymotic 6i's - only the music from my mp3 player.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Technica vs Koss

After some research, I've narrowed it down to two: Technica ATH-ANC7B's or Koss QZ900's. Both are around the same price and have similar positive/negative reviews and features. The Koss ones come with a lifetime warranty but the Technica ones have better accessories and a lot more online reviews.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with either one of these or has heard good vs bad things about them.

I also looked at the Sony and Bose ones but they don't seem to be $200 better than the Technica and Koss ones especially with the breakage reports about the Bose ones.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I just ordered the Audio-Technica ATH ANC3BK based on Amazon reviews. They claim to be active noise-cancelling in-ear headphones. Any experiences with them? (It's not too late to cancel and order something else!)
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have the Audio Technica ANC7's, which cost about a third of what the Bose ones do and do about 90% of the job. I like them quite a lot.
Agree.

I am very happy with my ANC7's.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Agree.

I am very happy with my ANC7's.
Thanks....that's what I wound up going with (the next model actually...the ANC7B's)
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'll put in another recommendation for the bose over-ear noise canceling headphones. I use them on every flight! I have the older version (QC3 maybe?). I've heard the newer version have a significant improvement...just can't justify the price at the moment with a pair that work well.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA, DL, LAN, SPG
Originally Posted by CPRich
There are lots of threads here on NC options - try a search.

Many folks, myself included, greatly prefer an in-ear option, a Shure or an Etymotic noise-blocking earphone, over a Bose or similar over-the-ear noise-canceling solution. They are much, much smaller/lighter, cut noise across the frequency band vs. the Bose narrow band, and a comparably priced pair sound better, IMHO. Or you can get a set for <$200 that sound just as good.
^agreed. I have the Shure SE 420-K's and am very happy with them. It's nice to be able to be oblivious to the din around me on flights.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Anyone have any thoughts on the Sennheiser PXC-350 model of headphones? My QC2's are having technical difficulties as the sound is out on the left side so I a thinking of getting a different brand and found this model refurbed for about $120.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:00 am

I saw a good review of noise canceling headphones on The Gadget show in the UK.

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/video...ing-headphones

Obviously, it's a test limited to a small number of headsets, but it's interesting to see the differences.

Cheers

Rad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.