AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Summary
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ce_survey.html

Actual survey
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ce-ratings.htm

Almost all of my friends with 3G iPhone tells me they turn off 3G in NYC - too many dropped calls; faster with regular 2G mode
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do realize that this report is dated January 2009, right?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
And AT&T still sucks.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Hmmm, it says updated for Jan 2010, no?

Not sure why Jan 2010 but text/editorial indicates survey includes Sept 2009 data.....
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:15 pm
Suspended

How do i turn off 3g. I am a NY based ATT customer and it is horrendous. I actually got a replacement phone so many calls were being dropped. When I was in the ATT store three other people w the same problem.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
How do i turn off 3g. I am a NY based ATT customer and it is horrendous. I actually got a replacement phone so many calls were being dropped. When I was in the ATT store three other people w the same problem.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#...network-access

In Settings, choose General > Network and tap disable 3G.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a subscriber. The report I see on the website is for the January 2010 publication.

The reader score (not sure I can quote this exactly, so I'll be a bit vague).

Verizon wins over #2 T-Mobile by a margin greater than T-Mobile's lead over AT&T.

AT&T really does look bad in the survey, getting a lot of black marks on individual categories.

Verizon looks stellar in these.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
Verizon wins over #2 T-Mobile by a margin greater than T-Mobile's lead over AT&T.
I have both Verizon and T-mobile. In downtown Chicago there's no difference in service quality. In the rural areas I go to for work, only Verizon is reliable (but T-mobile has surprisingly good coverage).
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by dtsm
Almost all of my friends with 3G iPhone tells me they turn off 3G in NYC - too many dropped calls; faster with regular 2G mode
I was traveling with a friend to NYC who has ATT and it was so bad. Almost every time I called him it dropped and got a lot of fast busy. He still has some problems here in IND but NYC was the worst.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I had been with AT&T since the bag phone days. I finally switched to Verizon last week.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Guess it depends upon where you live. Never had any problems with AT&T.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
I had been with AT&T since the bag phone days. I finally switched to Verizon last week.
I had AT&T for about six or seven years. When Cingular took over, it really went to crap.

When I alerted them to poor Canadian service, they just blamed it on Rogers. After reminding them that I pay Cingular, not Rogers, they didn't do a damn thing.

Shortly thereafter, I couldn't get a simple voicemail notification, and I missed a very important one about a family member. That's when I abandoned Cingular and went to Verizon.

Not going to say everything is rosy with Verizon, but it is a lot better. Their customer service is pretty good. I had a BlackBerry Storm 1, and numerous problems with it. They ended up replacing it very recently.

While AT&T does have the iPhone, of late Verizon seems to be trying to be the smartphone leader. Looking forward to their smartphone releases in 2010.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
At&T Service and the North East Corridor are a contradiction in terms

I live between PHL and NYC and had AT&T service for years, I was always being told the service would get better. I found it hard to understand why service would be so bad while riding amtrak between NYC and Washington but it was. Most of the time calls would be dropped or hearing each other was difficult. I finally dropped AT&T and switched now I have no problems on Amtrak or even in the NYC subways.
I have always said get the best coverage for the areas you make the most calls in and do not worry about the name of the supplier.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swanscn
I live between PHL and NYC and had AT&T service for years, I was always being told the service would get better. I found it hard to understand why service would be so bad while riding amtrak between NYC and Washington but it was. Most of the time calls would be dropped or hearing each other was difficult. I finally dropped AT&T and switched now I have no problems on Amtrak or even in the NYC subways.
I have always said get the best coverage for the areas you make the most calls in and do not worry about the name of the supplier.
Who do you have now?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
I have ATT and it works great when traveling. However, $2.5 roaming overseas is never good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.