Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 15, 09, 8:26 pm   #1
Hoc

Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA; AA EXP, AA 2.5 MM, Hhonors Diamond, IC Platinum Ambassador
I Have A Magellan Roadmate GPS. Will It Work In Spain?

We're taking a road trip through Spain next summer. We have a Magellan Roadmate GPS that we purchased in Circuit City in California. We bought it last year. Does anyone know if we will have to buy a new GPS for our Spain Road Trip, or new software of some kind, or will it work when we get to Malaga?
Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 09, 9:01 pm   #2
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It would depend on your model what it costs to add the maps for Europe (don't think any of the roadmate series for the US include maps for Europe out of the box).

It may be less expensive to just buy a cheap GPS over there, you need to check the cost for your model. Some of the roadmates can not take maps for Europe, so without the model number it's a total guess.
Old Nov 15, 09, 9:21 pm   #3

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
You might telephone Magellan at 800-707-9971 to ask if they sell European maps; tell them what exact unit you have (e.g., RoadMate 1400 or whatever).

I know that with Garmin it is a lot cheaper in the US to buy a North America+Europe system like the Nuvi 270 ($135 on EBay) than it is to buy a North America only unit and purchase European maps later on. I have the Nuvi 270 and have used it quite happily on several trips in Europe.
altaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 09, 12:15 am   #4
Hoc

Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA; AA EXP, AA 2.5 MM, Hhonors Diamond, IC Platinum Ambassador
It's a Roadmate 1200. I don't use it anymore over here, since I bought a car that has a Navigation system pre-installed in the car. It was never very good, but I'd much rather use the existing one over there than buy a new one.
Hoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 09, 8:20 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Statusless. Woe is me.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that Magellan has pulled out of the European automobile GPS market.

You might find European maps for your 1200 through, um, other means.