Thanks, Mr. Obvious!

Old Jul 30, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
When you crunch all these numbers up, it’s easy to see what a waste of bandwidth this was from Blogdad Bob.
But the up side of this is that they do find more inert grenades than they do terrorists. Now as to the snow globes.....
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Ronnie, do you really believe that more than 1% of air travelers actually go to the Blog or TSA page before beginning their trips?

If you do, I've got a bridge to sell you. Bob is wasting key strokes putting up such a thread.
No more so than you waste here dude. Its all a waste of time, at least until they get to the checkpoint. Then its a learning experience.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Yes you can. Have a part time easy to replace Grade A take it to the TSO break room, pull the pin, release the handle and count to ten. If the count gets higher than eight, it's not real. ^ Return to the checkpoint, resume looking for the Big Catch™.
Lame.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Lame.
I personally like the term "limp and lusterless" but that really applies to any meaningless job....
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Hmmm...roughly 2 million passengers a day in the U.S., and four hand grenades in a week. Yeah, I can understand why Baghdad Bob had to mention them. Right.

Bruce
First, lets add 2 more to the count, found in the last 24 hours on checkpoints. Someone said that blogs and posting here will make no difference, and I have to admit it hasen't. Maybe time will.

Second: Each time a replica or the real thing, inert or not, is found at the checkpoint it has a significant effect. They close the checkpoint. 15 minutes to several hours, depending. This has an effect on all the passengers who would like to get through the checkpoint, and of course the schedules of the affected aircraft, airlines, and entire airports down the line who were expecting things to run smoothly throughout the country. Its called a “ripple affect”, and tends to hose things up far and wide. Sometimes there is no ripple affect, but that’s pretty rare.

SO, ifs not just one or two people that choose to do something rather stupid, but entire airports and regions. A significant portion of that 2 million you write about.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Tom M.
So is this one of those "facts" that as a TSO you are permitted to disseminate, but the actual proof and documentation of of these incidents is SSI?
More like U//FOUO reports generated by our intelligence office. Sometimes we see incidents involving lots of things, including ones that get in the news and ones that don't.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
More like U//FOUO reports generated by our intelligence office. Sometimes we see incidents involving lots of things, including ones that get in the news and ones that don't.
So can you provide any actual backup to Ron's claims?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:21 am

The important message from Bob's post is that TSA's inability to identify non-weapons makes our air transport system vulnerable to denial of service attacks.

Imagine what a "terrorist" could do with $10,000 worth of cheap tickets and candy grenades. In the words of TSORon:

"Each time a replica or the real thing, inert or not, is found at the checkpoint it has a significant effect. They close the checkpoint. 15 minutes to several hours, depending. This has an effect on all the passengers who would like to get through the checkpoint, and of course the schedules of the affected aircraft, airlines, and entire airports down the line who were expecting things to run smoothly throughout the country. Its called a “ripple affect”, and tends to hose things up far and wide. Sometimes there is no ripple affect, but that’s pretty rare.

SO, ifs not just one or two people that choose to do something rather stupid, but entire airports and regions. A significant portion of that 2 million you write about."
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSORon
Lame.
But enough about your daily routine.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
As the old saying goes, those in the threat community never see a threat they don't like - or something to that effect.

I would take with a huge grain of salt information disseminated by the TSA's "intelligence" office.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
So whaddya s'pose would happen if I stuck one of these on my luggage?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:07 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:04 pm
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: I don't do status - I do benefits
Originally Posted by Bart
Just to clarify: the article was in response to inert grenades and novelty items (i.e. "take a number" with the number attached to the safety pin of a fragmentation grenade). Should be obvious that inert grenades and/or novelty items would not be permitted as carry-on luggage for the same reason why a realistic replica of a pistol or other firearm would not be allowed. As for checked baggage, it is virtually impossible to determine by x-ray alone whether or not a grenade is inert or a replica, even if it's attached to a piece of wood and made to look like a novelty item.

While this may be obvious to a lot of us, some people need this explained to them.
+1
When God was handing out the brains, they must have been given the "refurbished" ones

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.