Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security and Restroom Video Monitoring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

From another blog:

Acute airport-urinal observer . . . catches this unlikely warning posted in a men’s restroom at the newish Southwest Airlines terminal at Hobby. The text below the Dept. of Homeland Security logo at the top of the urinal reads:

Automatic infrared flush sensors also provide video monitoring for security purposes.

The camera appeared to be in the same panel that carried the flush sensor… a brushed metal panel with an oval shaped dark transparent glass with a red on it. . . .

And this panel was located just above the urinal itself. Given how close the user of the urinal would be to the flush sensor and camera, it’s probably designed to monitor people walking in/out/around the bathroom, not the user of the urinal. But still freaky!
Story HERE.
Old May 21, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Now there’s a fun urinal target!

A bit discriminatory though; the ladies should have a chance to pee on the DHS as well.

Old May 21, 2009, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
it's gotta be a prank, no?

if not, pretty scary but i certainly know what i'm gonna do to the little camera when i see it. yes a bodily function or "2" but also a nice close-up of my laptop screen showing this: http://thecleverest.com/countdown.swf
Old May 21, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
From another blog:

Story HERE.
Have you posted it on PV?

Surely there must be a FT'er who can confirm the existance of this...thing?
Old May 21, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txrus
I have not.

I have found Swamplot to be remarkably reliable with regard to architectural developments in Houston. Accordingly, I see no reason to doubt its statements with regard to restroom developments in Houston.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by goalie
it's gotta be a prank, no?[/url]
No. It's part of the filming for that new Fox Reality TV show, "Tales from the Terminal Loo", hosted by Larry Craig. . . .
Old May 21, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by flaflyer
Originally Posted by goalie
it's gotta be a prank, no?
no. It's part of the filming for that new fox reality tv show, "tales from the terminal loo", hosted by larry craig. . . .
ROTFLMAO tsa sucks
Old May 21, 2009, 7:26 pm

Awww I cant go while anyone is watching.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Crazyace718
Awww I cant go while anyone is watching.
close your eyes
Old May 22, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
It could be in the area after the aircraft and before customs. They do monitor you in that area to make sure you're not hiding/disposing of anything.

added: Nevermind.. re-read article and saw its in the SW area.

Its possible the sticker may have been put there when it should've gone in the pre-customs area.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn
It could be in the area after the aircraft and before customs. They do monitor you in that area to make sure you're not hiding/disposing of anything.

added: Nevermind.. re-read article and saw its in the SW area.

Its possible the sticker may have been put there when it should've gone in the pre-customs area.
AFAIK, HOU does not have any commercial international flights.
Old May 24, 2009, 1:51 am

I took the photograph at Hobby Airport last week on Wednesday with my iPhone... so while it might have been someone's prank, the sticker was there. Can anyone verify whether this is an actual DHS program or not? This got posted to slashdot.org (http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../05/22/1714245) and there have been a lot of people over there wondering whether it's real or not.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
From another blog:

Story HERE.
This is why I just go ahead and inject my insulin in public and not in the restroom (unless I go for a thigh site and am wearing long pants). If I'm doing anything "furtive" in the restroom I'll likely be arrested for illegal drug use.

Or cruising for gay men.

Somehow "chilling effect" seems such a weak phrase right about now...
Old May 24, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Aren't video voyers arrested for this kind of behavior?
Old May 24, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by rakeshagrawal
<SNIP> I took the photograph at Hobby Airport last week on Wednesday with my iPhone... so while it might have been someone's prank, the sticker was there.
Welcome to FT!

Did you happen to notice what kind of material the label was made out of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.