TSA & Currency Control

Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SgtScott31
Not that it's enforced greatly, but many states make it unlawful to carry prescription meds in anything but the containers they were issued in. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "heap 'o trouble," but yes, out on the street you can be arrested for it.
Neither melatonin nor vitamins are prescription drugs. As that is what the OP is noting that they are carrying I'd be very surprised if they found themselves arrested for such. But I guess the details of what actual pills are being carried are less important to you, huh?

By policy, he is supposed to report suspicious items discovered during an administrative (and consensual) search.
I'm still trying to figure out why $10K in cash is suspicious, particularly to the TSOs. I understand compelling the TSOs to report things like drugs to a LEO, even if I don't think they should actually be searching bags looking for them specifically and I think that they are more than not. But carrying cash is something that people do from time to time. The retort you seem to come back with frequently is that it is obvious when someone shouldn't have lots of cash on them so you know they're criminals. But that doesn't explain how the TSOs could possibly know or be trained as such, nor why something that is not actually criminal in any way is considered suspect by anyone.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by icurhere2
A. Over $10K must be reported.
B. If you work at the location in your profile, Canada and Mexico would both be non-stop international destinations (add connections and one can travel anywhere).
A. By whose authority must the $10+ be reported and to whom?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:25 pm
KTW

Originally Posted by Spiff
What are you going to do, put the beat down on Johnny Law?

The Man wants your money, The Man's going to take it. If you're lucky, you'll get a receipt.
Like I said it wasn't a "what if" post. I simply stated I just don't see any "normal" individual carrying $10k+ or whatever not doing ANYTHING to stop ANYONE from taking their hard earned money. You don't hear about these situations, so I doubt the seizures happen even 1% as much as we seem to hear about.....Assuming I am incorrect on all counts; everyone is a criminal and or a coward. Their can't be another selection.....End of thread for me.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:36 pm

I have been giving this issue a lot of thought and research. I think what bugs me the most is not the fact that if you are carrying large sums of money a LEO may become involved but the fact that TSOs are being told that greater than $10k IS contraband and they "should" refer you to a LEO according to OD-400-54-2.

When TSA discovers contraband during the screening process that is not a TSA Prohibited Item, the matter should be referred to the local Law Enforcement Officers as appropriate. An Enforcement Investigative Report should not be initiated.

Examples of such contraband include:

- Illegal Drugs
- Drug Paraphernalia
- Large Amounts of Cash(10,000.00)
I think we all understand and agree that if a TSO (or anyone) sees something that constitutes a serious crime (felony) they must report it. If they don't they will be guilty of misprision of a felony, but does that extend to being compelled to report something that is legal but claimed to be contraband?

I have spent a good amount of time pondering this issue.

If a TSO referred a passenger to a LEO because the TSO felt the amount of money being carried was suspicious, I would be more forgiving. After all as good citizens we should report suspicious activity to the authorities.

If I see someone walking from a house carrying a TV and in my mind this is suspicious I should report it. If my life were run by the TSA I would compelled to report ANYONE carrying a TV even if I can see the delivery truck in the driveway.

$10k+ would be suspicious in some circumstances and not in others. If I am carrying $10k+ that would be suspicious, if Bill Gates were carrying $10k+ it would be pocket change.

In summary I really don't have a problem with a TSO having a REASONABLE suspicion about a large sum of money and involving a LEO, I have a huge problem with the TSA lying to the TSOs about $10k+ being contraband and forcing them to involve a LEO when there is NO reasonable suspicion.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 2:59 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
They arrest a local drug dealer and confiscate $200,000. They make a "procedural mistake regarding evidence" on the arrest and the dealer does not get convicted because the police do not want him convicted. They want him back on the street. Six months later, they pop him again and keep another $200,000. The dealer is happy, being out of jail and in business. The "loss due to stolen cash" is a cost of doing business no more than if he was bribing the cops. The cops get to say "We're not getting bribed", but the drug money ends up in their pocket just the same. What's the difference? None that I can see.
This is a cute story.

You, Ari and others still want to ignore the fact that this type of action has been going on for years, and it will continue. TSA is just a scapegoat because the checkpoints are currently under their control rather than the FAA. Like I said before, I don't recall any forums bashing FAA and/or the contract security companies who were doing the exact same thing long before TSA came along. It's just easier to go after them because of the dislike by you and others here at FT.
While the TSA is an easy target both here on FT and in general, there are two major distinctions between then and now:

1) When the government gets involved, everyone has elevated responsibilities. Acme Security Screening Inc and the TSA are in two very different legal positions. The TSA is accountable in so many more ways than a private company would be. But it does go both ways-- they get federal benefits! Also, killing them is a federal crime.

2) Under the TSA, the option to withdraw consent during the (administrative) search was eliminated. I understand the security rationale for such a rule, but I think the result needs to be "blinders" on the TSA when it comes to things that aren't per se illegal. Otherwise the temptation is just too great-- not for the individual TSO-- but for more and more dragnet-type of procedures to be added. This is only one security directive.

While each of those distinctions seems minor, those are both major distinctions in the legal arena. I have not ignored the issue.

Not that it's enforced greatly, but many states make it unlawful to carry prescription meds in anything but the containers they were issued in. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "heap 'o trouble," but yes, out on the street you can be arrested for it.
I believe most (if not all) of such laws apply only to controlled substances, a small fraction of all prescriptions filled.

By policy, he is supposed to report suspicious items discovered during an administrative (and consensual) search. Again, whether you believe the policy is bologne is another question. Take that up with the suits in DC, but as far as the TSO, they're doing what they were told. You guys are wanting to punish the messenger.
The rule doesn't ask them to report suspicious items-- it asks them to report over $10k in cash irrespective of any suspicious nature. Is over $10k in cash now per se suspicious?

As far as punishing the messenger, that would never happen around here.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I have been giving this issue a lot of thought and research. I think what bugs me the most is not the fact that if you are carrying large sums of money a LEO may become involved but the fact that TSOs are being told that greater than $10k IS contraband and they "should" refer you to a LEO according to OD-400-54-2.

I think we all understand and agree that if a TSO (or anyone) sees something that constitutes a serious crime (felony) they must report it. If they don't they will be guilty of misprision of a felony, but does that extend to being compelled to report something that is legal but claimed to be contraband?

If a TSO referred a passenger to a LEO because the TSO felt the amount of money being carried was suspicious, I would be more forgiving. After all as good citizens we should report suspicious activity to the authorities.

If I see someone walking from a house carrying a TV and in my mind this is suspicious I should report it. If my life were run by the TSA I would compelled to report ANYONE carrying a TV even if I can see the delivery truck in the driveway.

$10k+ would be suspicious in some circumstances and not in others. If I am carrying $10k+ that would be suspicious, if Bill Gates were carrying $10k+ it would be pocket change.

In summary I really don't have a problem with a TSO having a REASONABLE suspicion about a large sum of money and involving a LEO, I have a huge problem with the TSA lying to the TSOs about $10k+ being contraband and forcing them to involve a LEO when there is NO reasonable suspicion.
Respectfully, Trollkiller, I disagree because most screeners do not have the capacity to make a determination of "reasonable suspicion."

If it is not illegal to carry >$10,000 in country, then the TSA has no business referring anyone to a LEO. I don't care if the money or instrument is in a wallet, tucked into a bra, hidden in the bottom of a shoe - it is none of the TSA's business.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:10 am

Sorry dude you are judged by the company you keep. There are thousands of cases involving crooked cops and crooked agencies. You know as well as I do that a good portion of seizure cases are weak at best and fraud at worst.
A fraction of a percent that you seem to be exaggerating just to support your cause here. In every seizure case I have ever been involved in (going on 7 years), there has never been an ounce of doubt in my mind that the money was illegally obtained and being carried to go buy drugs. There are other factors at play aside from just the money itself, but I care not to divulge them here.

The more you claim this hogwash is consensual, the more your already minimal stature diminshes. Keep kidding yourself. I do not ever recollect giving explicit consent for the silliness that passes for a search at the typical airport check-point... Would seem that the recipients of a search would have to explicitly give consent in order for the search to be consensual.
Last I checked, walking into the checkpoint IS consenting to adhere to screening procedures to board an aircraft. Call it what you want, but no one is twisting your arm to have you and your belongings searched. It seems that the US Justices agree on this as well. I guess they're just supporting "hogwash."

While the TSA is an easy target both here on FT and in general, there are two major distinctions between then and now:

1) When the government gets involved, everyone has elevated responsibilities. Acme Security Screening Inc and the TSA are in two very different legal positions. The TSA is accountable in so many more ways than a private company would be. But it does go both ways-- they get federal benefits! Also, killing them is a federal crime.

2) Under the TSA, the option to withdraw consent during the (administrative) search was eliminated. I understand the security rationale for such a rule, but I think the result needs to be "blinders" on the TSA when it comes to things that aren't per se illegal. Otherwise the temptation is just too great-- not for the individual TSO-- but for more and more dragnet-type of procedures to be added. This is only one security directive.

While each of those distinctions seems minor, those are both major distinctions in the legal arena. I have not ignored the issue.

I disagree. While it is now a federal agency conducting the screening, those before the TSA were required to screen passengers according to federal law (per FAA). It was still federal rule that required passengers be screened and things to go reported should contraband be found during the screening process by contract employees. Although the Aukai ruling occurred under TSA's time, I think the outcome would have been the same would it have been contract security who discovered the drugs in Aukai's pocket(s). Whether TSA or contract doing the screening, it is TSA/DHS policies that the screeners must adhere to. The contract companies do not make up seperate (non-governmental) policies to enforce at federally-mandated checkpoints.

The retort you seem to come back with frequently is that it is obvious when someone shouldn't have lots of cash on them so you know they're criminals. But that doesn't explain how the TSOs could possibly know or be trained as such, nor why something that is not actually criminal in any way is considered suspect by anyone.
TSOs simply call the on-scene LEO to the money. From my training and experience dealing with interdiction, it only takes a couple of minutes (with other factors at play aside from the money) to figure out if this person is carrying his own money, or someone else's to buy the drugs. Like I mentioned before, there are far more people who carry cash who are questioned very little who come through the security checkpoint.

Isn't there someone taking pictures at your airport within your imagined one minute check-point response zone?
Still relishing on the past are we? Imagined one minute response? Feel free to cause a problem at the checkpoint at BNA and time the LE response. I would be glad to provide you lunch at one of our restaurants if you prove me wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TK, I agree with you up to a point. If a person was found to have money taped to their body I would be curious as to why. More investigation would be on order. I think that is what you were getting at. However, if a person was found to have a large amount of money in their briefcase or such I don't think it is any business of TSA or Police as to why barring some other indicator of wrong doing.

TSA has enough on its plate without getting into a dragnet checkpoint. And by all indications aren't very good at what they should be doing! Why complicate the issue with make work problems.

The real problem I have is that $10K cash is contraband as determined by TSA OD-400-54-2 . I believe that the directive stating such is faulty.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Last I checked, walking into the checkpoint IS consenting to adhere to screening procedures to board an aircraft. Call it what you want, but no one is twisting your arm to have you and your belongings searched. It seems that the US Justices agree on this as well. I guess they're just supporting "hogwash."
A lot of us need to fly commercial to keep our jobs, see our families, etc. From that point of view, a TSA checkpoint is no more "consensual" that if the government put up a checkpoint outside my home's front door or on the commuter rail someone takes to work (and they're doing that too). Sure, you could say nobody is twisting my arm to leave my house, but it's not practical or realistic to avoid the checkpoint.

IANAL, but IMO the entire doctrine of "implied consent" is hogwash. There should be no implied consent. You either explicitly consent or you don't. And the checkpoints/dragnets the government seems to like putting up in our travel infrastructure (not just planes, but trains too, and who knows what's next) are not consensual searches, they are forced administrative (and effectively criminal too) searches (unfortunately) required to exercise our right to free movement.

If the government really wants "implied consent" administrative searches, they need to use the blinders listed in a previous post--anything outside the scope of their mandate that is not an immediate threat and not an obvious felony should be ignored. See a human head, report it. See a bunch of cash, white powder, glass pipes, or nude photos of someone who might be 19 or might be 17, ignore it.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by studentff
A lot of us need to fly commercial to keep our jobs, see our families, etc. From that point of view, a TSA checkpoint is no more "consensual" that if the government put up a checkpoint outside my home's front door or on the commuter rail someone takes to work (and they're doing that too). Sure, you could say nobody is twisting my arm to leave my house, but it's not practical or realistic to avoid the checkpoint.

IANAL, but IMO the entire doctrine of "implied consent" is hogwash. There should be no implied consent. You either explicitly consent or you don't. And the checkpoints/dragnets the government seems to like putting up in our travel infrastructure (not just planes, but trains too, and who knows what's next) are not consensual searches, they are forced administrative (and effectively criminal too) searches (unfortunately) required to exercise our right to free movement.

If the government really wants "implied consent" administrative searches, they need to use the blinders listed in a previous post--anything outside the scope of their mandate that is not an immediate threat and not an obvious felony should be ignored. See a human head, report it. See a bunch of cash, white powder, glass pipes, or nude photos of someone who might be 19 or might be 17, ignore it.
Let's just release all of it and let the criminals travel abroad as fast as they can on aircraft without any fear of getting caught with their tools. Rapists, pornographers, drug smuggling murderers, what's the big deal? As long as you can get to your vacationing spot in Florida without being "harassed," it doesn't matter now does it?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: DL, AA
As long as you can get to your vacationing spot in Florida without being "harassed," it doesn't matter now does it?
OK... I try to stay out of these debates. However, this attitude just steams me. Most FFs are not on vacation. They are trying to do their job; same as you. Their jobs just happen to require they pass through airport security checkpoints on a regular basis. (And keep in mind that exceptions are made for most people who need to regularly access the airport secure area... making it seem "the rules" only apply to those who are actually paying to fly. Just a side Q: How often do you have to pass through the checkpoint? Empty pockets; take off jacket; remove shoes; etc. Weekly? Daily? Once a year on vacation?)

I suspect if the US implemented automotive checkpoints similar to those at the US/Mexican border at the entrance to every US interstate highway, you would see similar complaints from truckers that we have here on FT regarding airport checkpoints. City dwellers and infrequent long-haul drivers probably wouldn't care as much. It's not a big deal - except to those most affected.

In the case of airport security checkpoints, FTers tend to be the most vocal complainers - because they are the most inconvenienced. While some of the arguments I read here are over the top - on both sides - I think we can at least try to understand the other point of view.

OK... now back on topic. Cash /= Contraband. Or does it?

I think if we're going to implement customs checks at the airport, they should be done by Customs... and only for those flyers getting on or off an international flight.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:31 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Let's just release all of it and let the criminals travel abroad as fast as they can on aircraft without any fear of getting caught with their tools. Rapists, pornographers, drug smuggling murderers, what's the big deal? As long as you can get to your vacationing spot in Florida without being "harassed," it doesn't matter now does it?
How many rapists and murderers, and even pornographers have been caught at checkpoints these days. I presume you mean child pornographers, who are likely to be caught be customs agents-as they should be-looking at electronic devices. They are not caught passing through a check point where I don't believe they turn the computers on and search photos-yet-but it seems you might advocate that as well, if we follow your money theory (. To bad OJ didn't try to fly after the Goldman murder it seems the TSA would have saved the day!

The inane fecklessness of TSA justification can only go so far. The sky was not falling before, it is not falling now. Unless you read TSA press releases...

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Hmmm - I carry melatonin and some vitamins fairly frequently on trips. They're in baggies. Sometimes they're buried in an available pocket inside my bag. Guess I can end up in a heap 'o trouble?
I hope you're not the one that has to make the determination. Neither melatonin (a dietary supplement) nor vitamins are prescription meds.

If I hear you correctly, the presumption would be made by an investigating officer that the pills are drugs or contraband until I proved otherwise. At the minimum, it would mean that I'm detained (and miss my flight(s) ) while y'all spend time figuring it out. At the worst, I'll face a false accusation and have to prove myself in court. In other words, I am faced with a "penalty" for flying with perfectly legal substances. That, my friend, is precisely what's wrong with the current process.

By the way, it's pretty a pretty common technique amongst certain law enforcement organizations to force someone to "pay" even if the law-enforcer can't prove anything illegal. It's done to "send a message". And yes, I have personal knowledge of that being done.....
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:01 pm

Please share your "knowledge" and enlighten us all as to the actual numbers of Rapists pornographers drug smuggling murderers arrested charged and convicted as a result of TSA calling over a LEO at Nashville over say the last 3 years. Thank you in advance. Their names would be useful as well. They are matters of public record after all.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Cash over 10K is officially being defined as contraband?????

They should not be reporting anything which is unrelated to aviation security. Period.

A good citizen minds his own business and keeps his mouth shut unless they see a crime where someone will be hurt or there is property loss/damage.

Please. Carrying cash is not suspicious. I'll write it again. Carrying cash is not suspicious. It doesn't matter who you are.

In summary I really don't have a problem with a TSO having a REASONABLE suspicion about a large sum of money and involving a LEO,....
I have a huge problem with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.