Top 10 list of TSA complaints

Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Top 10 list of TSA complaints

What are your top 10 complaints about TSA ?

Would like to compile a list, and send it to the TSA idea factory, and see if we can implement some changes that would make a bit of sense.

My #1 complaint is "barking @ the pax". I harp on it over & over with my TSO's.

Feel free to vent
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Kip Hawley is an IDIOT.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TakeScissorsAway
What are your top 10 complaints about TSA ?

Would like to compile a list, and send it to the TSA idea factory, and see if we can implement some changes that would make a bit of sense.

My #1 complaint is "barking @ the pax". I harp on it over & over with my TSO's.

Feel free to vent
#2 Shoe carnival
#3 Liquid ban
#4 TSA employee impertinence
#5 Ridiculously long lines
#6 Laptop removal
#7 TSA employee personal hygiene
#8 Screening exclusion for security-side airport employees
#9 Inconsistent rule application
#10 TSA Employee laziness (refusing to push items through the x-ray machine)
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Inconsistencies from terminal to terminal. Every manager has their own little kingdom and insist on the employees doing it "their" way. When you go to a different terminal it's another way of doing the same procedure. The managers and administration needs to get on the same page.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Although its not strictly TSA can i add having to be secondary screened in a foreign country, before we can board the plane, even though weve already been through that countries perfectly adequate screening.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:52 pm

#1 Barking. It's completely un-called-for

#2 The liquid ban. It makes no scientific or conceptual sense, makes screeners' jobs far more difficult, thereby making it less safe to fly.

#3 Shoes. Nobody has ever been hurt or injured by a shoe-related weapon in an airport or airplane. It wastes time and it prolongs the screening process. It's a stupid rule, time to axe it.

#4 SSSS. We all know it's bogus. Just stop it, for crying out loud.

Item #1 will be tough to fix--too many "soldier of fortune" types thinking they're the "front line in the war on terror." Items #2, #3, and #4 are easily correctable, but Kip would never swallow his pride to make these changes.

The barking, the liquid ban, and the shoe carnival catalyze the TSA's loss of legitimacy as an authority. From an organizational behavior standpoint, we're dealing with meaningless, poorly-enforced rules. It's a recipe for disaster.

I sometimes think that TSA employees should have to take a mandatory trip to Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv. They can see how polite, friendly, organized, and quick it is to clear security in perhaps the strictest airport in the world... I'm not talking about the profiling stuff; just their attitude.

Last edited by Mats; Jul 15, 2007 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
The liquid ban. Nothing else even comes close. Bark and scream and throw temper tantrums all day long, just let me carry back my souvenir bottle of wine. I can't believe what we've given up and for what? No proven benefit at all. At least with the shoes, there really was a shoe bomber who could have seriously harmed himself or the other passengers. No one has proven that the so-called liquid bombers could have even lit a match.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:38 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
#1. TSA (it must go)
Old Jul 15, 2007, 3:48 pm

In addition to all of the points above, there should be transparency with the grievance process. In particular, some kind of civilian/congressional oversight on the complaints and a process to actually talk to the powers that be to take corrective action.
Also, lack of cargo screening.
"Bravos" and Terminal Dumps.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cpx
#1. TSA (it must go)
Totally Agree here.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Definitely the superiority complex (this goes hand in hand with the barking!) that some screeners have. The issues some of these people must have to get something out of acting tough in this setting must be pretty pathetic.

Unless you get the rare nice/decent people working, I'm constantly wanting to say "who do you think you are? don't talk to me like that", but we all know where that would land me. :/
Old Jul 15, 2007, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I agree with all that's been said so far.

I'd also like to see you give them this:

Revised TSA Terrorism Poster

to show them what people think of them.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 5:21 pm

Besides the barking which has been a gripe of mine since the beginning, it is certainly the liquid ban! Besides being so inconvenient and ineffective, it takes the screeners' attention away from the real threats! Case in point....in ALB they found so many bottles of water...but missed nearly every legitimate weapon!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Mats
#2 The liquid ban. It makes no scientific or conceptual sense, makes screeners' jobs far more difficult, thereby making it less safe to fly.

#3 Shoes. Nobody has ever been hurt or injured by a shoe-related weapon in an airport or airplane. It wastes time and it prolongs the screening process. It's a stupid rule, time to axe it.
I think shoes will not removal while they put onto the x-ray machines. Absolutely, it was no reason that I have nothing wrong with my shoes. I am never had anything problems. I have to rights being allowable to leave my shoes on. It just only for me but, it is no one everyone else. It has been no evidence the shoes at all. It should be goes away shoes rules effective immediately. All you guys can leave the shoes on when you getting through the metal detector then, you need to keep mouth shut with TSA screeners. Just please step forward letting passengers leave the shoes on to get through checkpoint.

When I see TSA while they are searching large liquid and they took the passengers' bags when TSA is searching the large liquid. Then, they thrown it away into the garabage. Absolutely, it was nothing wrong the large 3.4oz. They need to do followed the guidelines as liquid restrictions.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
Inconsistencies from terminal to terminal. Every manager has their own little kingdom and insist on the employees doing it "their" way. When you go to a different terminal it's another way of doing the same procedure. The managers and administration needs to get on the same page.
This is my #2 complaint. We have 3 different cp's @ RDU. If I am sent to A or C, I have to ask what we are & aren't doing. Even the morning shift does things differently. It's freakin' ridiculous

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.