Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

DNA samples required to fly; Next on the TSA agenda?

DNA samples required to fly; Next on the TSA agenda?

Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Angry DNA samples required to fly; Next on the TSA agenda?

eGene is Seeking Partners for Its Business of DNA Samples Collection in Airport Terminals

hursday April 27, 12:40 pm ET

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 27, 2006--eGene Inc. (OTCBB:EGEI - News), a leading biotechnology company, announced that it is looking for global business partners in the DNA sample collection in airport terminals.
The company's leading product, the compact and automated digital genetic analyzer, HDA-GT12(TM), is already achieving rapid penetration and acceptance in the current genetic research and testing market. Acting CEO of eGene, Dr. Ming Liu, said, "The DNA samples collection combines both the informative and instrumental aspects of DNA analysis, which is an integral part of our business approach."

eGene was awarded a U.S. patent (6,645,718) titled, "DNA sample collection for identification." The patent describes a process of collecting DNA samples for identification purposes in the event of a cataclysmic accident. This is a new, low-cost way to benefit air travel passengers and their families.

For example, in the last decade, hundreds of plane crash victims have remained unidentified because of incomplete information. Dr. Liu believes that airline passengers can take advantage of the company's patented identification technology and process in combination with flight insurance purchases, or through the requirements of various airlines.

"Passengers can choose to temporarily store their DNA samples at an airport terminal for specific flights," Dr. Liu explained. "In the event of an accident, the stored samples can be sent to authorized DNA testing labs for faster personal identification. This benefits the victims' families, the airlines and the insurance companies by avoiding time-consuming and costly individual DNA identification work."

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060427/20060427005802.html?.v=1

Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Passengers can choose to temporarily store their DNA samples at an airport terminal for specific flights,"
Yes, I wonder how long it would be a "choice..."
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Yes, I wonder how long it would be a "choice..."
I'm wondering the same thing too... and of course it would be marketed under the the idea of convenience, racial profiling, security... OOPS! Did I say racial profiling? I'm sorry... I meant racial harmony!

Somehow nazi Germany comes to mind...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.