Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today the TSA is fondling breasts; guess what will they twiddle with tomorrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today the TSA is fondling breasts; guess what will they twiddle with tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Red face Today the TSA is fondling breasts; guess what will they twiddle with tomorrow?

US security services told Scotland Yard the woman - almost certainly linked to al-Qaeda - intended to hide eight to 12 ounces of plastic explosive in her vagina.

She would then go to the toilet during the Boeing 747 flight, remove the material and detonate a blast that would down the aircraft.

A senior Yard source told the Daily Mirror: "Smuggling a bomb on to a plane by this method is one of our worst nightmares.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Gee, seeing as that's allowed, can I bring a bookmark on board?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:41 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
What ever happened to that machine that sort of xrays the entire body (in & out)? I thought those were going to be tested in airports. Maybe that would solve the body cavity thing. Assuming plastics can also be seen....
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by detouring
What ever happened to that machine that sort of xrays the entire body (in & out)? I thought those were going to be tested in airports. Maybe that would solve the body cavity thing. Assuming plastics can also be seen....
Sorry, there is no safe dose of x-rays.

X-raying millions of people per day, even at very low doses is likely to be more harmful than beneficial.

Also, there already are devices that check people non-invasively for explosives. The GE EntryScan3 and the IonScan Sentinel 2 both do a fine job.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The sort of walk-through x-ray machine that has been tested is a "back-scatter" device that does not see inside the body (although it does see through clothing). The bottom line here is that women (and men, too!) can smuggle plastic explosives in body cavities and never be detected by methods currently in wide use. But God help anybody who tries to use their shoes!

Bruce
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:32 am

Programs: TSA
I dont believe so

Originally Posted by HeHateY
US security services told Scotland Yard the woman - almost certainly linked to al-Qaeda - intended to hide eight to 12 ounces of plastic explosive in her vagina.

She would then go to the toilet during the Boeing 747 flight, remove the material and detonate a blast that would down the aircraft.

A senior Yard source told the Daily Mirror: "Smuggling a bomb on to a plane by this method is one of our worst nightmares.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html
As I said once before: If you put an explosive in a body cavity, you will likely die before you get very far. It is a toxic substance.

Last edited by eyecue; Oct 14, 2004 at 8:33 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
As I said once before: If you put an explosive in a body cavity, you will likely die before you get very far. It is a toxic substance.
So is cocaine. That is why drug smugglers put it into condoms.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:43 am

you are correct but

Originally Posted by Spiff
So is cocaine. That is why drug smugglers put it into condoms.
There are certain properties to explosives that make this method not foolproof or practical.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are certain properties to explosives that make this method not foolproof or practical.
... there are certain properties that also make it and several slight variations an "option" for the foolhardy willing to die (which is self-evident with most in-flight plane bombers). In other words there are related methods that may not be foolproof but are "practical" enough to be a serious security risk. Of course, the dog and pony show of today does little in such scenarios.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:48 am

There is a way to contain almost any substance. Just because latex or polyurethane (what most condoms are made out of) might react with some plastic explosives does not mean there are no other materials that could be used to contain the plastic explosives instead.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:50 am
Suspended

I can imagine that there may be some R-rated or X-rated noises occurring if someone starts touching certain parts. When Harry Met Sally comes to mind.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:50 am

I was thinking

Originally Posted by Spiff
There is a way to contain almost any substance. Just because latex or polyurethane (what most condoms are made out of) might react with some plastic explosives does not mean there are no other materials that could be used to contain the plastic explosives instead.
More along the lines of being able to get all the contamination off the outside of the container.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:54 am
Suspended

More along the lines of being able to get all the contamination off the outside of the container.
That's not much of an issue with the half+wits. GE EntryScan and like technologies are going to have an issue. The level of scrub down required to get the residue off is not out of the question. Furthermore, you are making a false presumption that the "carrier" is the "packer" and that the "packer" is the "maker". Add a vaccum and a little submersion and we are still going to have a major problem one day. .....and so much for the dog & pony show and the non-dog & pony show expenditures.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:55 am

Despite having a fairly high viscosity, plastic explosives could easily be loaded into the container with a large syringe that does not have a needle. Also, plastic explosives might be toxic, but are not *that* toxic. Short term, non-prolonged exposure of a few PPM is not going to result immediate death. I don't have an MSDS for Semtex handy at the moment, but it is routinely handled and death does not routinely result.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:09 am

Am I the only one who noticed the names of the defense analyst and the Alabamian?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.