Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What the heck was this TSA bizarre behavior?:confused: :confused:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PR Premier Elite

Just cleared security at the TBIT north checkpoint. Really the TSA at this checkpoint are actually a bit better than average so I won't be to hard on them but what the heck was this????? After I cleared a painless WTMD and x-ray of my carry-on, professionally administered.... self opt-out from the radiation scanners available to anyone with an obvious lane change point,, no complaints at all.....I was collecting my stuff from the trays. Someone at the elevated TSA podium announce "Bravo" something on the PA and then all the TSO ran around telling everyone to stop moving in place and hush. Like literally 200 people in various stages of screening from lines, to just leaving the checkpoint were told to be quiet and don't move. Silence and non-movement prevailed for about 5 minutes, all clear was called, some TSO said thank you for your cooperation with this exercise and everything proceeded normally. I finished reassembling my carry-on and proceeded to the OW First lounge . WTeF was that. It struck me as one of the silliest things I ever participated in.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I was collecting my stuff from the trays. Someone at the elevated TSA podium announce "Bravo" something on the PA and then all the TSO ran around telling everyone to stop moving in place and hush.
Run a forum search for "Code Bravo."

Many of us refer to it as a "Code Bravo Sierra."

Treat it like a game of "Marco Polo." They call "BRAVO!" and you respond "SIERRA!"
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:25 pm

Verzeihung - dupe post
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:26 pm

'Ich bin Ausländerin, nichts verstehe. Bye bye'

There are many of us I suspect at TBIT...
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: OnePass
If I were clear being actually screened, I'd take a chance and continue leaving the checkpoint, telling them I'm not taking part in your idiotic exercise and see what happens.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:42 pm

What's the worst that can happen for refusing to "freeze" (submit to unlawful detainment or an unlawful violation of your freedom of movement) or stay quiet (submit to a violation of your First Amendment right to free speech)?

What if you've not been screened yet?

What if you have?

What if you're near the checkpoint but not intending to go through it (e.g. accompanying a family member)?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
http://listverse.com/2009/02/22/top-...meant-to-know/
Code Bravo is the code phrase for a general security alert at airports. Unlike most of the codes on this list, the code is meant to cause alarm – but not through knowing what it means: when this alert is raised, all of the security agents will begin to yell “Code Bravo” in order to frighten the passengers – this is supposed to make it easier for the agents to locate the source of the problem without interference from the general public.
Shhh! It's a form of double secret probation!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Treat it like a game of "Marco Polo." They call "BRAVO!" and you respond "SIERRA!"
That, or start clapping your hands and cheering "bravo!" at the performance of theatre.

If I was getting my stuff off of the belt, the old hearing impairment would kick in as I ignored the silliness and went on my way. I suppose a screener may trot after me to tell me to stop, but I would just ignore them. They do not have the authority to detain me.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or you could start to "panic".

"Bravo? Bravo? What's going on, something not right, OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Tom M.

"Bravo? Bravo? What's going on, something not right, OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

+1!!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Happens at LAX Terminal 4 all the time.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Tom M.

The time I witnessed it, I was too far back in the line to do anything about it like this. If they ever pull this stunt while I'm near the conveyor, I would love to do something like this with the addition of scrambling under a carry-on table or something.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
flash mob?

I wonder: what would happen if a flash mob showed up and started chanting "Bravo"?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by celticwhisper
What's the worst that can happen for refusing to "freeze" (submit to unlawful detainment or an unlawful violation of your freedom of movement) or stay quiet (submit to a violation of your First Amendment right to free speech)?

What if you've not been screened yet?

What if you have?

What if you're near the checkpoint but not intending to go through it (e.g. accompanying a family member)?
If you're within the screening area, you could arguably be fined for interfering with the screening process. If you are outside of the screening area, TSA has absolutely no authority to prohibit your movement or your speech.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
If you're within the screening area, you could arguably be fined for interfering with the screening process. If you are outside of the screening area, TSA has absolutely no authority to prohibit your movement or your speech.
Seems like a load of Bravo Sierra

If a pax has already been screened, then how could TSA say they were interfering with the screening process?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.