Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8-year-old boy groped by TSA at PDX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doober
My last sentence was written with a great deal of sarcasm, which I should have indicated.
Ah. Carry on, then.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gov't, Choice Gold
Certainly let me preface this by saying I wish the TSA as a whole would go crawl in a hole somewhere.

Now, similar to a comment in another post, could this be construed as a positive thing for those of us who want the TSA abolished or at the very, very least reined in from using the damned scanners and inappropriate patdowns? We are in mid-spring break season and quickly approaching summer where many families will travel. If this begins to happen to more and more kids hopefully parents become outraged - you have certainly reached a larger population than you ever would with just frequent flyers. It needs to affect more people before a real change is going to happen. And these people can't just be told, it has to happen to them.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Here is the link from the original source, KGW. (The video is longer than the one posted by someone else.)

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-mo...119816969.html

I've also updated this on the blog:
http://tsascrewups.wordpress.com/201...ld-boy-at-pdx/

Any link love to http://tsascrewups.wordpress.com/ is appreciated! I want to make it as easy as possible for reporters who want to dig deeper to have a one stop shop for the various TSA abuses.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:35 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rocky
Here is the link from the original source, KGW. (The video is longer than the one posted by someone else.)

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-mo...119816969.html
...and the comments are almost entirely "boo hoo! you're a wimp! your child is fine! TERRORISTS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!! TRUST THE GOVERNMENT!"

And my favoritate ACTUAL comment:

That is why you are a house wife, and someone else is running the TSA.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
The TSA is just a gigantic Milgram experiment.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by rocky
The TSA is just a gigantic Milgram experiment.
It has gone way beyond 'experiment'. The experiment is over, data and reactions have been analyzed, conclusions drawn and actions implemented.

In the US, anything is acceptable in the name of 'safety'.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:57 am

I think my fave snippet of comment is this:

"We just have to let children know that Mom or whoever is present and it is ok just like in the doctor's office. As for not knowing the background of the person doing the screening, how do we know the doctor's background either? It is to keep us safe, like a doctor helps keep us healthy."

Really? I'm pretty sure I can check on a doctor's background, either by checking with the state licensing board or by speaking with other patients. Maybe I need to start using that BeenVerified website on any screener I come across?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
We keep hearing that scarcely anyone actually gets a frisk - 2% of pax maybe? And presumably children represent a smaller subset of that number.

So I think TSA supervisors should be required to log every child patdown, review and retain the tapes, and specifically sign off that he/she has reviewed them and found no problems.

We know TSOs are reluctant to turn each other in for misbehavior. Since there are only a relatively small number of children who will be frisked, and since children are greatly at risk if a sex offender without previous convictions does enter the workforce, I don't think this is asking too much.

Besides, it's not like these supervisors ever seem to actually be at the checkpoint or in the baggage area actually supervising what is going on, so they should have plenty of time.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by kmanus

"We just have to let children know that Mom or whoever is present and it is ok just like in the doctor's office. As for not knowing the background of the person doing the screening, how do we know the doctor's background either? It is to keep us safe, like a doctor helps keep us healthy."
The same person continued with:

Although I do not fly,

Do you frequent train stations, bus stations, sporting events, etc? The mission creep marches on, just listen for the sound of a blue glove being snapped on.

Nice how some people that don't put up with the nonsense at airports feel they can be self righteous.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:19 am

Really? I'm pretty sure I can check on a doctor's background, either by checking with the state licensing board or by speaking with other patients. Maybe I need to start using that BeenVerified website on any screener I come across?
I check every doctor our family uses on the licensing website for our state. Obviously, only the most egregious infractions find their way there, but it's the best I can do, and it does tell me about the physician's educational experience, as well as training and certifications. I talk to trusted friends and I talk to hospital nurses, and I've been grateful for honest, heartfelt responses about physician referrals from both. I don't let people touch me or our child without at least doing the most minimal amount of due diligence I can.

Now...where I can I research the screener's background and do the same? How do I find out their level of education and training? Can I speak to their colleagues up and down the chain of command about their experiences with the screener? Where do I determine that licenses are current and not encumbered? Are they particularly skillful at certain tasks, such that their professional organization has recognized and certified their competency? Oh, and finally...how do I go about letting the screener of my choice touch my child?

If we're going to make the comparison to a medical professional, let's make the comparison complete. Perhaps we should even be asking if I can get my child's Sports PE done during the patdown, because after all, it's just like at the doctor.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Now...where I can I research the screener's background and do the same? How do I find out their level of education and training? Can I speak to their colleagues up and down the chain of command about their experiences with the screener? Where do I determine that licenses are current and not encumbered? Are they particularly skillful at certain tasks, such that their professional organization has recognized and certified their competency? Oh, and finally...how do I go about letting the screener of my choice touch my child?
But, but hasn't the TSA said all the screeners have background checks? lol
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:39 am
Suspended

But, but hasn't the TSA said all the screeners have background checks? lol
Yep. They background-checked this guy, too. Doesn't that make you feel better about letting TSA employees touch you and your children?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Yep. They background-checked this guy, too. Doesn't that make you feel better about letting TSA employees touch you and your children?
One of the reasons we only have 2 trips planned this year and although I love to travel (for the destination), I no longer want to. Thankfully we don't have kids, so not an issue at the moment. In fact, I'm doing a race in the Santa Rosa area and we are driving the 15ish hours to get there. Not to mention that I would have had to ship or fly with my bike otherwise.

Bonus that the airport we fly out of doesn't have scanners and *knock wood* I've always made it through w/o a hitch. Once I even made it through with an 8oz bottle of shaving lotion that I had in my bag from a previous (driving) trip. No worries, on the way back some screener in San Diego found it and now has really smooth legs.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Fisher1949
Is this the one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsMiE6S6AY

If this is new let's get it to Drudge while the other story is still there.
Yep, sure does. That is one of 8-years old boy who patted it down at checkpoints.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
According to the article:

On a MySpace page that apparently belongs to Bennett, he says he is a S&M-oriented swinger out to meet "submissive females," the station reports.
What a tool. Maybe this is giving away an overabundance of information about me(TMI, as they say), but rule #1 of S&M/BDSM is "Safe, Sane, Consensual."

Somehow I think this fails condition 3 spectacularly, and it's not looking so good on 1 and 2 either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.