Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

PA joins TX, NH, NJ - Anti-sex assault legislation introduced

Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR

From the We Won't Fly folks:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=0852&pn=0881

Amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania
Consolidated Statutes, providing for indecent assault during
the course of body search.
The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
hereby enacts as follows:
Section 1. Title 18 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated
Statutes is amended by adding a section to read:
§ 3126.1. Indecent assault during the course of body search.
(a) Offense defined.--Except as provided in subsection (c),
a person violates this section if he contacts another person's
genitals or breasts in the course of conducting a body search.
Hot damn. I'm actually starting to get somewhat optimistic.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Wow! Four states so far and when Rep Cissna introduces her bill in AK that will be five. 10% of the states!

If nothing else, this improves the odds that at least one will make it onto the books. Plus it puts an increasing amount of pressure on TSA to fix this mess before the mobs are at the gates.

Great post.^

Last edited by Fisher1949; Mar 11, 2011 at 4:34 am
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Wow! Go, PA, GOOOO! Maybe something really is going to happen...

to TSA. Just because I can.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:41 am

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Sent your link to Drudge. Maybe he'll pick it up and help get it to the mainstream media.

Sent them the pat down videos from yesterday but they haven't shown up yet so a second submission may not hurt.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waiting for the TSA Blog post from Blogdad Bob saying TSA receives very few complaints.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
Sent your link to Drudge. Maybe he'll pick it up and help get it to the mainstream media.

Sent them the pat down videos from yesterday but they haven't shown up yet so a second submission may not hurt.
I posted the link of the pat down video where screeners were trying to block the camera.

TSA did not post that comment.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Waiting for the TSA Blog post from Blogdad Bob saying TSA receives very few complaints.
He might change his tune when TSOs report for work covered in tar and feathers...

Philadelphia International has two lawsuits active, as I recall. This puts the issue in the face of the legislature.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n4zhg
He might change his tune when TSOs report for work covered in tar and feathers...

Philadelphia International has two lawsuits active, as I recall. This puts the issue in the face of the legislature.
One requires a bit of intelligence to understand they are mired in quicksand. It is clear that those on the TSA Blog lack that quality.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Prediction of BBs upcoming post: "Although ten percent of the whiner states have very minor issues with clerkpoint gropes, a full Ninty Percent of the States obviously must fully approve of the TSA procedures. To distract your thoughts from this issue, it's Friday afternoon and time for a story about a cute little puppy . . ."
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I gotta say, I really didn't expect this. Figured we'd have to fight the scope & grope in court or there'd be a high profile case that went up the food chain.

Who knew the push would come from state legislators. I'm going to make a few calls here in Tennessee this afternoon. There's a legislator who's currently pushing to create a TN-only currency (no joke). I think he's an idiot, but I'd certainly support his efforts to introduce something reining in TSA.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
I forwarded the text of the PA bill to my state senator and delegate, with a request for a similar bill here in Virginia. I referred only to rogue searchers conducting administrative searches, not to any particular agency.

Here's hoping that they follow up in a productive way. (Where "productive" means "arresting TSOs for sexual assault.")

Added on edit: How many emails to my legislative representatives do I have to send to upgrade my TSO DSP status? Can I at least claim Copper elite now?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by flapping arms
Added on edit: How many emails to my legislative representatives do I have to send to upgrade my TSO DSP status? Can I at least claim Copper elite now?
Non airline elite levels follow the progression of mankind’s tool evolution stages, unless you learned history from a Texas Approved™ school text book, in which case you skip the levels older than 6660 years ago and start at Bronze.

Stone
Copper
Bronze
Iron
Steel
Plutonium
Rust
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:53 am

State Legislators Challenge the TSA Scanner and Pat-Down Policies

http://www.examiner.com/public-polic...-down-policies

Fairly good round up of all state efforts to curb TSA civil rights abuses.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Good link!

Remember that the Texas bill formalizing the gropings as felony sexual assault (HB 1937) is being heard in committee TODAY. I doubt it would hurt for every Texan to call the committee members and briefly share their support. You can find a list with links to their official rep sites at the committee page: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Committ...&CmteCode=C220
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: Priority Club, HiltonHonors, US Airways Dividend Miles, Airtran A+
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
From the We Won't Fly folks:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=0852&pn=0881

Hot damn. I'm actually starting to get somewhat optimistic.
I received a letter from my PA state legislator today that their is a public hearing on this on 3/30. Unfortunately, I will be traveling and unable to attend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.