MCO Testing Random Groping through WTMD

Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
MCO Testing Random Groping through WTMD

Saw this sign up at the checkpoint this morning... I'm wondering if they are testing it in the lanes with out the backscatter..

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Dec 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: None anymore
There has been chatter about WTMD`s doing this already. Seems all of them are capable of doing a random selection and flashing a light to signal the person watching that you are the 'winner'. When I hit the jackpot a couple months ago I won a 5 min seat in the clear both, quick HHMD and swabbing was nothing to it. This was in the expert lane which generally has 1/100 the business as the other 4 lanes in terminal B.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Saw this sign up at the checkpoint this morning... I'm wondering if they are testing it in the lanes with the backscatter..

Read the sign. It says Walk Through Metal Detectors.

And that particular program is going nation wide. It wont stop the complaints about retaliatory secondary screenings, but then again nothing ever will.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TSORon

And that particular program is going nation wide. It wont stop the complaints about retaliatory secondary screenings, but then again nothing ever will.
Just a small typo. Way to overreact

I meant to say lanes without back scatter...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:48 pm

That didn't take long. Can you explain how all the promises along the lines of "The only people subjected to a secondary are __(insert BS du jour here)___." are anything other than outright LIES?

Anyone else want to guess when the "secondary" become the primary?

It wont stop the complaints about retaliatory secondary screenings, but then again nothing ever will.
Here's a thought... ending the all to common practice of retaliation will probably go a long way to stopping the complaints about the retaliation.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
For what it is worth, these signs have been up for quite a few months and the TSA have been doing this random grope for quite a while based upon this random selection by the WTMD.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:36 pm

Thanks for actually proving the point I was about to make.

First of all ... retaliatory secondary screenings occur. You've admitted as much in prior postings. So, it's impossible to make complaints about them disappear, when they actually happen --- no matter how many policies are in place to assure that they don't.

Second of all ... this sign actually will decrease the number of complaints about false retaliatory secondary screenings, as it actually informs a passenger about the possibility of a secondary before the selection occurs. It's TSA's insistence on not publishing its procedures that creates misunderstandings in the process ... and leaving TSOs like you to deal with the brunt of those misunderstandings.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Due to numerous complaints TSA is implementing equal opportunity groping at airports that do not have the nudiscopes.

At airports without nudiscopes passengers have been complaining that they do not have the opportunity to be irradiated or choose getting groped as such TSA has decided to have random opportunities for getting groped via the WTMD.

Passengers have been very appreciative of the TSA listening to their concerns - as they want to make sure the passenger beside then has been adequately groped just like they have. Even if coming from different originating airports with different screening measures.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
According to the Toledo Blade there won't ba a WTMD option. All passengers get AIT like it or not.

If you're conecrned about X-ray or MMW thry are saying "too bad".

http://toledoblade.com/article/20101...0421/-1/NEWS32
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:41 pm

The random generators on the WTMDs will be coming to all airports soon. It was going to be started a few weeks ago but there is a situation where the generator could be adjusted in the field. There will be a set percentage but will not be activated on the WTMD associated with the AIT.

It should decrease the complaints of retaliatory secondary screening but the TSO and/or BDO can still send you to secondary if they feel there is a reason.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: formerly SW, DL; currently Amtrak S+
"Step into the new full-body scanner at Toledo Express Airport and you'll be asked to raise your hands above your head like a football referee signaling a touchdown."

A football referee signaling a touchdown??? HA HA HA!!! How about a criminal surrendering?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slh14
"Step into the new full-body scanner at Toledo Express Airport and you'll be asked to raise your hands above your head like a football referee signaling a touchdown."

A football referee signaling a touchdown??? HA HA HA!!! How about a criminal surrendering?
Idiots.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:43 pm

And for many of us, football doesn't have 'touchdowns'... Again, a lack of clarity or understanding of the diverse customer base.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by exbayern
And for many of us, football doesn't have 'touchdowns'... Again, a lack of clarity or understanding of the diverse customer base.
Even worse, I don't know much about (any kind of) football*. In the (extraordinarily) unlikely event that I find myself in a body scanner in Toledo, help me out here. It's the middle finger of each hand that a football referee extends, right?

*Further discrimination against (some) women?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL, AirTran

TOL has just one security line ... they're down to five flights a day between AA and DL, with Allegiant providing service a few times per week.

To date, TOL is the only place (out of nine airports I have dealt with since 9/11) where I have received additional screening (randomized once through the WTMD, checked bag note once, SSSSed once). TOL lost my business after my SSSS experience ... and the guy in the photo (who oversees the airport for the port authority) can't figure out why the airport has lost two-thirds of its business in recent years.

Last edited by HackyMcHack; Dec 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.