Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modified pat down for children? Details?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Modified pat down for children? Details?

Anyone have details on the "modified" pat down for children who opt out?

We're traveling with our youngsters next week (1, 6 and 11) and need to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
No personal experience, and the answer would probably be SSI, yet I figure same areas, less squeezing and more patting.

TSOs?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:52 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I would absolutely refuse to give a stranger permission to touch my child(ren).
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:20 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by PBQ
Which is what makes Pistole's admonishment, "Submit, or don't fly," all the more odious.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by PBQ
I think that's the best message to send everyone involved.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by PBQ
With this in mind, I repost this article from the New York Times entitled, "Good Touch, Bad Touch, TSA Touch."

The author, Ms. Belkin, advises parents to tell children that, "a nice officer might ask to pat their clothes... The officer won’t hurt them, and, like a doctor, they are allowed to touch them even though they are strangers." It is hard to believe she is even a parent - hopefully her children won't be too angry with her when they grow up and realize she allowed complete strangers to touch them in private places. It is sickening. Fortunately, some of the comments are a little more rational and point out that TSA officers have nothing in common with doctors.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:58 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
With this in mind, I repost this article from the New York Times entitled, "Good Touch, Bad Touch, TSA Touch."

The author, Ms. Belkin, advises parents to tell children that, "a nice officer might ask to pat their clothes... The officer won’t hurt them, and, like a doctor, they are allowed to touch them even though they are strangers." It is hard to believe she is even a parent - hopefully her children won't be too angry with her when they grow up and realize she allowed complete strangers to touch them in private places. It is sickening. Fortunately, some of the comments are a little more rational and point out that TSA officers have nothing in common with doctors.
Quick, the barf bag!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
TSA = setting up children for sexual exploitation. I sure as heck wont be giving permission for any govt actor to touch my kids. if they do so without my permission they will be arrested on site for assault and what ever can stick.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:30 pm

A TSA Agent is not a doctor or a nurse and another point that is the most important... The doctor or nurse that is examining your child is someone that you can put a stop to touching your child if you don't like what they are doing to your child. When it comes to TSA Agents who are touching your child. The rule is this... The TSA Agents can do whatever they want to your child and you can't stop them from doing it. So even though the patdown for children under 12 is suppose to be modified. If you get a power tripping TSA Agent who makes up their own rules and your child is taken to a private room for screening then all bets are off as to what the patdown is going to be like for your child.

Last edited by Lara21; Dec 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
if any govt actor takes my child out of my sight, without my permission there will be hell to pay and will find me tracking them down as well as the likelyhood of that govt actor needing the services of a level 1 trauma center and of the legal profession is pretty much guarenteed. That persons supervisor will be on the hook as well.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Quick, the barf bag!
My favorite sentence from the NYT piece: "News reports indicate that many a pat down has been triggered by clumps of lint."

The comments were the best I've seen.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only do TSA employees want to look at naked kiddies now they want to feel 'em up.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I appreciate some of the sentiments here, but sheesh... 10 replies and no helpful information? Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MilesDavis
I appreciate some of the sentiments here, but sheesh... 10 replies and no helpful information? Thanks.
Hey, I tried (post 2)

The issues is, what is your measurable of helpful information?

What are your boundaries, and where do you draw the line? Worst case is, you say "no", they show you the door, and you don't fly.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by MilesDavis
Well, if you read the NYT piece, you would have seen that the author had asked the same question of the TSA and is still waiting for a response. So it is unlikely you would have better luck. I think the NYT piece is as helpful as you are going to get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.