Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was on an AA flight from Costa Rica to Miami, with a Miami based crew.

Got on, sitting in international C or really domestic F (on a 737). Doors hadn't closed yet.

Used the restroom and came back and on my way to the seat, the FA said
"you have to wear shoes."

I said I didn't choose to wear shoes and she said "it's an FAA regulation in the book, you must wear shoes at all times while you are on the aircraft. At all times."

I said I hadn't heard of such a rule and she said that if I didn't comply I would be speaking to the captain and would be met by "customs officials" when we arrived.

Then the captain came out. He looked down at me and said that I had to be "respectful of the crew members" and asked me if I was going to do that, or else I would have to get off the plane.

I assured him I would be respectful and he went back to the flight deck.

I am filing a complaint with AA. This FA was making up a rule and further, since I argued, she must have reported to him that I was unruly and causing a disturbance of some kind.

All I did was argue with her about this inane assertion about "FAA regulations."

It has gotten to be quite fascist, where if you dare to argue with the anointed you get threatened with arrest. That was very clear from the FA's threat that I would be "met" by US officials.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ironically enough, on tthis flight, the "fasten seat belts" sign was NEVER used throughout the flight after initial takeoff. I photographed it. Never was on even as we taxied and landed. The captain somehow forgot?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Wow

Do let us know what happens with the complaint to AA. I've seen tons of people walk barefoot on planes, and into the bathroom , and have never heard the FA say anything about it being an FAA regulation. I always take off my shoes when on long flights, especially ones in international C...
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Wow

Do let us know what happens with the complaint to AA. I've seen tons of people walk barefoot on planes, and into the bathroom , and have never heard the FA say anything about it being an FAA regulation. I always take off my shoes when on long flights, especially ones in international C...
if AA had such a rule, that's one thing. It's a private company and I can fly them or not fly them. But to assert under color of authority some non-existent law is what I find highly objectionable.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:47 pm

The captain doesn't have anything better to attend to than come out to tell you to put your shoes back on?!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Who knows? Maybe there is some obscure rule about shoes being worn.

Could it have anything to do with being a food service area? I've wondered about that, with airlines allowing non-service animals in the cabin.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Who knows? Maybe there is some obscure rule about shoes being worn.

Could it have anything to do with being a food service area? I've wondered about that, with airlines allowing non-service animals in the cabin.
I just searched FAA regulations on line and there is *nothing* about this. She made it up, I argued, and she reported me and threatened me with arrest. Simple as that.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:54 pm

Kind of gross to walk into a bathroom without shoes, no?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Kind of gross to walk into a bathroom without shoes, no?
I walk everywhere barefoot. If a store tells me to put shoes on, or in stores that require shoes, I comply. I have no problem going into an airport restroom barefoot. My immune system is fine and I am not troubled by it.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I highly doubt the FAA has a written rule about wearing shoes/socks on planes. Therefore I would have asked the Captain is that is his interpretation as well. A forced disembarkment would have been an involuntary denied boarding and probably a good lawyer could find a couple other things. Paired with a DOT & FAA Complaint probably quiet lucrative if your time allows.

Anyhow besides that I find it gross not wearing shoes (not to imagine going barefoot) on a plane. In the lavatories? Are you kidding me??? With every turbulence the likeliness someones urine get's sprayed around in there rises. Bah! Even without... the amount bacteria on a mass transportation vehicle (~ commercial airplane) is probably hard to count. Would anyone go barefoot on a bus or train? I already wear slippers at the TSA checkpoint... Again, gross!!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FaustsAccountant
The captain doesn't have anything better to attend to than come out to tell you to put your shoes back on?!
As the OP suggested, the FA likely told the captain that he was being unruly and not heeding flight crew instructions, not that he wasn't wearing shoes and please make him put on shoes.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Searched my freshly arrived 2011 FAR/AIM. No mention of shoes. anywhere.

My seaplane instructor told me to always have my shoes off when beaching the airplane in case I have to jump out to secure the airplane in a hurry.

There might be a reason for wearing them on the ground. If the airplane were to break or an engine were to explode and an evac was required, it might save feet from being cut on shrapnel. Rare, but then, you never know when the underwear might explode.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

if I choose to go barefoot in a restroom, how is that any concern of yours or anyone else's but mine? I don't find it gross and it's my body, so I think that is irrelevant. What is relevant is threatening me with arrest for failing to comply with a made-up regulation. Makes sense, right?

BTW, I wear shoes from taxi to takeoff, and final approach through landing, as these are the times most likely to require an evacuation of the plane.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
As the OP suggested, the FA likely told the captain that he was being unruly and not heeding flight crew instructions, not that he wasn't wearing shoes and please make him put on shoes.
Maybe I grew up differently, but the lessons I learned as a child carry into adulthood.

If I came to my mom crying that Uncle Dan abused me and she found out that abuse=him turning down my request to bury his heirloom Rolex watch in the backyard...let's just say my tushy would sting for a bit, but I'd never cry chicken little every again.

The OP's case wasn't as extreme as my example, but the message is still the same.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:28 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by richard
I just searched FAA regulations on line and there is *nothing* about this. She made it up, I argued, and she reported me and threatened me with arrest. Simple as that.
So write AA and complain about their FA making up rules, engaging a pilot in her bogus claim, and threatening you with arrest. I hope you got her name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.