Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pushback on passport books as ID?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Pushback on passport books as ID?

Has anyone had trouble with the TSA not accepting a passport book as ID, especially for domestic flights?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
No, why wouldn't they accept it? Its the most legal form of an id out there
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Agree with MR_MAMA. I've never had a problem and frequently use my passport for domestic flights. Besides, the TDC doesn't know if you're connecting to an international flight or not.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
I used to have problem w/my old one, that was replaced in May, because it had a B&W picture in it & that confused smurfs nationwide. There was only 1 time, however, that I was asked for something else @ that was in SHV & I chalk that up to it being SHV more than just the normal TSA stupidity...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:26 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
I always use a passport as it has less information on it that is useful in identity theft situations.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
No, why wouldn't they accept it?
Awhile back I posted a thread about my non-driver state ID being rejected by an airline ticket counter employee. Because of that, and based upon some suggestions in this forum, I sent away for a passport book.

But now I'm hearing from co-workers that while the airlines are okay with passport, TSA really prefers that you present a driver's license. I don't know whether this is true or not, since my passport hasn't arrived yet, and I haven't had a chance to use it.

Originally Posted by tlc
I always use a passport as it has less information on it that is useful in identity theft situations.
As much as I dislike the TSA, has there ever been a case of a screener stealing a passenger's identity?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 3:19 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:42 pm

From Shannon to jfk this weekend, the delta checkin clerk wanted my drivers licence in addition to my passport. We had words.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Originally Posted by morcheeba
As much as I dislike the TSA, has there ever been a case of a screener stealing a passenger's identity?
There have been a few reports here of TSA screeners taking ID and copying info down, demanding SSNs, and that kind of stuff.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
TSA really prefers that you present a driver's license. I don't know whether this is true or not, since my passport hasn't arrived yet, and I haven't had a chance to use it.
You are wrong. Passport is the first on the list of ID TSA recommends.

TSOs, on the other hand, are often unaware of what is proper ID. There are cases where they want to get your address and SSN, and sometimes it's even for an official report. But you have no legal obligation to give them this information.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: Bellanca Turbo Viking, AA Gold/Plat
One of the smurfs wanted to see another government id for whatever reason burned her butt the other day [other than my passport] - so I gave her my pilots license. That threw her for a loop. It doesn't have a photo on it - she says.

I responded, well, you did not ask me for a TSA approved photo id document, you said a government issued ID. You ask me for what you want and maybe you'll get it. She shoved it back in my hand and I walked off - they truly are idiots.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:03 pm

cross-reference TSA's airline passenger identification policies thread

Originally Posted by janetdoe
TSOs, on the other hand, are often unaware of what is proper ID.
It seems that they're also often unaware that passengers are not required to present any documentation of their identities.

See also: FlyerTalk: TSA's Airline Passenger Identification Policies
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I always use a passport card because at one point I presented my DL, and was told by a TDC that you may be rude in New York City, but that's not how we do it around here. I felt that I was discriminated against because of my residence, and this was facilitated by the address printed on my ID.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:25 pm

Awhile back I posted a thread about my non-driver state ID being rejected by an airline ticket counter employee. Because of that, and based upon some suggestions in this forum, I sent away for a passport book.

But now I'm hearing from co-workers that while the airlines are okay with passport, TSA really prefers that you present a driver's license. I don't know whether this is true or not, since my passport hasn't arrived yet, and I haven't had a chance to use it.
And that is crap. cause what if you dont drive?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by janetdoe
You are wrong. Passport is the first on the list of ID TSA recommends.

TSOs, on the other hand, are often unaware of what is proper ID. There are cases where they want to get your address and SSN, and sometimes it's even for an official report. But you have no legal obligation to give them this information.
Third on that list is Nexus cards, yet they have had to blog about how they are working to let the people working for them to actually accept them. The tsa makes lists, but never distributes them to their employees apparently.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Yes, I had trouble at BWI. Took supervisor intervention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.