Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalker files suit against TSA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by RVP
Good luck to the OP!

Bolding of TSORon's comments is mine.

I can't respond to the validity or legality of this argument because I'm not an attorney.

But I found TSORon's term "violating the 4th Amendment crowd" to be demeaning. Regardless of his belief in his employer, we are fighting for his rights as well as our own.

Sorry he doesn't get that.

Sorry for the off topic comment. Carry on.
What crowd? I thought Pissy and CBS said everyone was in agreement these things were nessessary to keep us safe?!?!?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:48 pm
Suspended

I think it's interesting how brainwashed our two self-alleged TSA employees are. They don't seem to deny that the searches are way over the line, but just suggest that they think that the TSA is above the law (and especially, the Constitution) and can get away with it in court.

This is most definitely not my first time filing a suit in federal court, and I'm quite clear on the process, requirements, etc. Though most defendants and their attorneys assume that a pro se plaintiff won't "have his .... together," I find that around when the judge denies their motion to dismiss, they rapidly sober up to the reality that this pro se plaintiff is not like the others.

I'm in this to win this (for all of us), and this is a fight that I will not be bullied into giving up on by those who think I can't. While I won't publicly detail my legal strategy any further, what I can say is this: Bring 'em on.

--Jon

Last edited by Affection; Nov 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:27 pm

Thank you Jon!

Give em hell and I hope you win.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
...The proper term is "standard pat down."...
No, the proper term is "unwarranted, demeaning, molesting, unconstitutional pat down".

Originally Posted by Affection
I'm in this to win this (for all of us), and this is a fight that I will not be bullied into giving up on ...
Thank you, Jon.
Your efforts on behalf of all of us are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 2:23 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Jon, last year I annoyed quite a few TS&S regulars by starting a thread titled I am a Keyboard Kommano. It made fun of those who post here in the most belligerent terms about how they would stand up to any TSO who gave them a problem but, in real life, would never do a thing.

You, very obviously, are not a Keyboard Kommando. Congratuations (and thank you) for your efforts.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by JSFox
You're saying someone went from being a Federal Judge to a Mgr in TSA? It's rather rare that a Federal Judge moves on to anything other than retirement, SCOTUS, law faculty, or inmate.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
A federal judgeship is a lifetime appointment given to experienced, respected attorneys & vetted by the both the executive & legislative branches.

It is beyond credulity that a such a person would give that up & become one of the Supervising Gropers.
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Yup, I could not even envision an SSA Administrative Law Judge stepping down to take a "manager" position within TSA, even with the almost daily threats they tend to receive.
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
But makes it easier for TSA to seize the airport
*ROTFL* You guys certainly make up for the lack of a paycheck for modding this forum.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by essxjay
*ROTFL* You guys certainly make up for the lack of a paycheck for modding this forum.
Glad we could bring a little sunshine into your day!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TSORon
The question of administrative searches was answered by the US Supreme Court in the 1970's. Suits basing their complaint on that are tossed out of hand by most courts. I'll leave it to you fine folks to research what I am talking about, I doubt you will but at least I have attempted to point you in the right direction.
Bolding mine.

Well, I did. Please refer to Marshall v. Barlow's, Inc., 436 U.S. 307 (1978). I found this in about 30 seconds. In this case the Supreme Court stated:
"We conclude that the concerns expressed by the Secretary do not suffice to justify warrantless inspections under OSHA or vitiate the general constitutional requirement that for a search to be reasonable a warrant must be obtained. ... We hold that Barlow's was entitled to a declaratory judgment that the Act is unconstitutional insofar as it purports to authorize inspections without warrant or its equivalent and to an injunction enjoining the Act's enforcement to that extent."
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
The question of administrative searches was answered by the US Supreme Court in the 1970's.
The Supreme Court ruled that the concept of an administrative search doesn't violate the 4th Amendment. That doesn't mean any conceivable search is permitted by calling it an "administrative search". The normal principle of 4th Amendment cases apply: there's a balancing between the governments interests and privacy interests
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Interesting (and in character) responses from two different alleged TSOs.

One cites carefully presented specifics to counter the OPs suit.

The other takes an unspecific, demeaning 'us vs. you' attack approach.

As a subsequent poster noted, we're supposed to all be on the same side. From top to bottom, way too many in TSA have lost sight of who the enemy is.

Hint: the enemy is someone who seeks to harm the American way of life, someone who commits an assault on our fundamental rights. It doesn't matter how the goal is achieved, anyone who tries to destroy or deny our freedoms is to be feared.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Quick update for you all -- there is a radio show host who claims to have inside knowledge that my motion for temporary restraining order against the TSA will be granted by Tuesday. His blog is:

http://macsmind.com/wordpress/2010/1...res-next-week/

I do not know the author at all and had not communicated with him prior to this article, so I have no more details than are in the article, including whether or not these sources are reliable. Also, my temporary restraining order covers only me, not the public in general, while it's the permanent injunction that I'm seeking which would cover everyone. But, if this temporary restraining order is approved, there's nothing that prevents me from asking for another one to cover everyone, which is definitely on the table. Either way, this would be a great step forward. Cautiously excited.

--Jon
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:21 pm

Any news on this?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MajorJim
Any news on this?
I second this. Inquiring minds want to know...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:12 pm
Suspended

No decisions yet, guys! I'll be sure to post as soon as there is.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Gov't Replies to My Suit: A “would-be terrorist would make the same assurances”

Approaching a month ago, I filed the first suit against the new procedures (nude body scanners + molestation) in US District Court, and the first response from the government came back today. Details and the full reply:

http://tsaoutofourpants.wordpress.co...me-assurances/

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.