TSA "encouragement" to use NoS at SEA

Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
TSA "encouragement" to use NoS at SEA

Ok, TSA now has a new approach to get you to use the NoS. This morning (about 20 minutes ago), I was going through the security here in Seattle, and one of the Barkers was saying the following not verbatum, but fairly close.

"We are using WBI here. It is perfectly safe and you have nothing to fear. You have the option to opt out of this type of screening. However, please be aware that you will be subjected to an intense pat down. Also please be aware that you will be waiting for a significant period of time to clear security if you choose to opt out. You may be waiting for a half an hour or more before we get to you. Therefore, I highly recommend that you use the WBI."

There was a line of folks who opted out waiting to be screened. And sure enough they were processing the WBI folks and not processing the opt outs. My line was next to the operationa NoS and therefore, i didn't have to go through the NoS or opt out option. However, in the 10 minutes i was in line I did not see a single person whatsoever in the opt out line get processed. while i saw about 10-20 people from the NoS line go through.

I think this may be TSA's new way to get us to use the NoS
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wait in line comes over as a passive way of saying "do you want to fly today?"
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
If I were left standing in the box for more than 5 minutes without anyone being screened, I would call the airport police and report I was being unlawfully detained.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:05 am

Or a passive way of saying "bad, BAD pax!"
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
If I were left standing in the box for more than 5 minutes without anyone being screened, I would call the airport police and report I was being unlawfully detained.
Oooh, would that work? @:-) If TSA is employing a 'delay' strategy for opt-outs, this may need to be addressed on the Opt-out day website.

Can you bring a lawsuit against a federal employee if they lie by asserting that the machines are perfectly safe when there is scientific proof to the contrary? I will grant that millimeter wave is 'perfectly safe' according to scientific consensus, but there is a documented incremental cancer risk from receiving backscatter x-rays, especially for cancer survivors, elderly, children, and fetuses.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Oooh, would that work? @:-) If TSA is employing a 'delay' strategy for opt-outs, this may need to be addressed on the Opt-out day website.

Can you bring a lawsuit against a federal employee if they lie by asserting that the machines are perfectly safe when there is scientific proof to the contrary? I will grant that millimeter wave is 'perfectly safe' according to scientific consensus, but there is a documented incremental cancer risk from receiving backscatter x-rays, especially for cancer survivors, elderly, children, and fetuses.
I'm not flying out of SEA, but if it happens next time I fly, I will not hesitate to call police.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:30 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Thank you very much for this insight. I will actually be flying out of SEA in just a few hours. Unfortunately I'll have to add extra time to my schedule to account for this TSA nonsense.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by baliktad
I will actually be flying out of SEA in just a few hours...
I have a 615am departure from SEA Tuesday morning. I'm guessing I should arrive at the airport by 400am to make time for this psychotic madness? Which means just staying up all night, I guess.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:11 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
I think this may be TSA's new way to get us to use the NoS
'New' is relative. Regulars to this forum have been reporting this tactic for weeks now.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Correct.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:02 am

Check out the sticky thread up top about which airports have the machine. It says that the C gate checkpoint at SEA does not have the NoS. I will be flying out of there in a couple of weeks so I hope it's still true.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:01 am

This may be a blessing in disguise. People are already weary of the TSA. Annoying them further brings more people to our side.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
'New' is relative. Regulars to this forum have been reporting this tactic for weeks now.
And now there are reports that TSOs are actively selecting cute women to go through the NOS.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Now this is getting interesting. The pax to pay will be those that either fail the WTMD and need a grope, or those that fail the ATI and need a grope.

If the secondaries are handled before the opt-outs, this is going to get real interesting.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cactus12
Check out the sticky thread up top about which airports have the machine. It says that the C gate checkpoint at SEA does not have the NoS. I will be flying out of there in a couple of weeks so I hope it's still true.
They all have them now. C-D checkpoint now has them as well. Totally rearranged as of about a week ago.

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Now this is getting interesting. The pax to pay will be those that either fail the WTMD and need a grope, or those that fail the ATI and need a grope.

If the secondaries are handled before the opt-outs, this is going to get real interesting.
That is exactly how it was getting done and what I observerd. NoS folks were getting their secondaries first. It is a passive agressive way to get folks to take the NoS.

Side note-- transiting IAH and all the machines were off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.