ID questioned

Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

ID questioned

Has anyone ever had their ID questioned? I was going through security and the initial TSA person who checked my ID was seriously scrutinizing my picture (and proceeded with further questioning.) What would I do if she said I don't match my picture well enough?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by pineappley
Has anyone ever had their ID questioned? I was going through security and the initial TSA person who checked my ID was seriously scrutinizing my picture (and proceeded with further questioning.) What would I do if she said I don't match my picture well enough?
Serious question for ya - just how different are you now from your DL pic? Some people change dramatically, for better or worse. However, even if the TSA person thinks the ID is not you, you would get through. First they would ask you questions, verify address, DOB, things like that. If worst really came to worst, they would get a LEO would would have to verify that is your DL, and then you would get through.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: Vanishing
Oh yes! Just after TSA took over the ID checking, the smart@.. in DFW checking the ID decided that my EU passport was not good enough for her. Never mind that CBP had looked at it over 30 times without a comment, but this gal decided that there was an "extra" shadow on the picture. So according to her excellently trained brain she decided it was invalid and gave me SSSS because I has "NO ID".
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Serious question for ya - just how different are you now from your DL pic? Some people change dramatically, for better or worse. However, even if the TSA person thinks the ID is not you, you would get through. First they would ask you questions, verify address, DOB, things like that. If worst really came to worst, they would get a LEO would would have to verify that is your DL, and then you would get through.
How does doing these things you mentioned improve commercial aviation safety?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:28 am

If worst really came to worst, they would get a LEO would would have to verify that is your DL, and then you would get through.
No ... I think the "worst case" would be that the TDC would treat the persona as someone without a [cough] "valid ID", and subject them to the "it's SSI but everybody else knows the details by now" procedure by which your identity is verified through asking for lots of detailed-yet-publicly-verifiable information.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'd be happy to list all of the reasons for you..

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

hmm, I can't think of anything..
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

He won't be able to answer that one...

Tell them to go strait to ,,,,

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'd be happy to list all of the reasons for you..

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
I agree with all but number 4. I think " " really does nothing to enhance security.

As to the OP's question. I have had one occasion where my Passport Card was questioned in regards to whether or not it is valid ID to use to pass through the checkpoint. It was never in, question, however, whether or not it was my ID.

My guess, as SATTSO said, is that you would eventually be allowed to pass. It's my experience that TSA wants to verify ID, but being able to present valid ID is only one method they use to verify ID.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
He won't be able to answer that one...
Actually, I think I can - but why bother? On this site unless the critics agree with your answer then the claim is made you haven't answered at all. And we all know that very few here agree with why TSA does things - so explain to me why I should bother we I could safely bet all my money that my answer will not be liked, thus I will be told I haven't answered? If you can do that, I'll answer.

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
No ... I think the "worst case" would be that the TDC would treat the persona as someone without a [cough] "valid ID", and subject them to the "it's SSI but everybody else knows the details by now" procedure by which your identity is verified through asking for lots of detailed-yet-publicly-verifiable information.
I guess it all depends on what is important to you.. I was thinking time-wise, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Actually, I think I can - but why bother? On this site unless the critics agree with your answer then the claim is made you haven't answered at all. And we all know that very few here agree with why TSA does things - so explain to me why I should bother we I could safely bet all my money that my answer will not be liked, thus I will be told I haven't answered? If you can do that, I'll answer.
I want you to answer......I don't care if Bin-Laden is on the plane, if you all do your job he is no threat.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:59 am

I guess it all depends on what is important to you.. I was thinking time-wise, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.
That doesn't make sense to me. Granted, I've never experienced either, but ... wouldn't having to go through the identity verification procedure take significantly longer than calling a LEO over?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:17 am

That doesn't make sense to me. Granted, I've never experienced either, but ... wouldn't having to go through the identity verification procedure take significantly longer than calling a LEO over?
Not from what I have seen. I have seen it stop someone from flying, in one instance. The questions would be quicker, I believe.

Not from what I have seen. I have seen it stop someone from flying, in one instance. The questions would be quicker, I believe.
Dunno why but I still can't edit from my phone, so I'll have to add here...

Another reason why it will take longer is when our SOP allows us to contact a LEO. We have to go through all the steps before we get to them. So it's a longer process by default.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think an argument can be made that name checking against watch list when a person buys a ticket may have some value. However, I personally believe that no one should ever be placed on any such list without a court order and with due process being followed giving the person the ability to challenge that decision.

As far as TDC inspecting ID they have no references immediately available to know if a given name is on any list so the act of comparing the name on an ID to a Boarding Pass has little or nothing to do with aviation safety. Other law enforcement activities may be going on but I don't think those activities are part of TSA's charter.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:51 am

I have been hassled for looking "too different" from my DL. My picture is at least 10 years old, and I have long hair and am wearing contacts. I'm now obviously 10 years older, have short hair, and wear glasses when I fly due to the dry air. I had one ID checker tell me that if I'm going to make such "radical" changes, I should get a new ID. Needless to say, I haven't taken his advice, but I do get scrutinized by some ID checkers who think they've got the next big bust on their hands.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by L-1011
Oh yes! Just after TSA took over the ID checking, the smart@.. in DFW checking the ID decided that my EU passport was not good enough for her. Never mind that CBP had looked at it over 30 times without a comment, but this gal decided that there was an "extra" shadow on the picture. So according to her excellently trained brain she decided it was invalid and gave me SSSS because I has "NO ID".
did you complain/protest? what was the outcome?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.