Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Thanks, InkUnderNails. I'll adapt that for my purposes. I am not an A-Lister but I am (1) a shareholder of LUV and (2) more loyal to WN than any other airline {mostly due to their low fares and low hassles sky-side}.

Here's a draft of my letter to WN. Please comment and suggest ways I can improve it. Thanks in advance.
Good day!

As a Southwest Airlines shareholder, I want to convey my concerns over recent policies of the Transportation Security Administration and the potential impacts on Southwest’s business (and thus long-term stock price).
I know that TSA is not directly under any airline’s control. However, I am certain that Southwest can exert greater influence on TSA’s policies than I can. I request that Southwest exert what influence it can regarding TSA’s airport security screening policies, as those policies may substantially negatively impact revenue as people choose not to fly.

TSA has been increasing their use of whole-body imaging scanners and intrusive pat-downs. TSA had promised that WBI scanning would not be a primary screening method. However, their policy in practice has been to direct passengers through WBI scans instead of the metal detector. Passengers opting out of WBI scans are subject to detailed physical searches; these searches by TSA policy involve physical examination of genital areas. Passengers have reported being groped and fondled in the conduct of these searches.

New TSA policy indicates that as the fall travel ramps up, TSA will seek to conduct intrusive pat-downs of all passengers. This will create extensive delays at airport security checkpoints. These searches also intrude on passengers’ expectations of privacy and modesty. These searches treat every passenger with strong disrespect.

In sum, TSA’s WBI scans and intrusive pat-downs defy Southwest’s ad tag line, “You are now free to move about the country.”

I ask Southwest to use its corporate influence as a major provider of air travel in the US to (1) oppose TSA’s policies for the present and expanded use of WBI and intrusive pat-downs, and (2) promote smart and effective methods of screening passengers and baggage to prevent weapons and explosives from getting onto airplanes, while respecting passengers’ rights and dignity.

Sincerely,
{sig}
Character count is just under 2000.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: Co Gold
Just so everyone knows, we are trying over here in the UK as well

See this article and note particularly the credentials of the author
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rhino_uk

Great article! I posted it on facebook.
You can follow another group of us REFUSNIKS or more accurately Constitution Defenders at:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=239458517874

I have considered the argument for TSA body scanners. At the end of the day I will go on record saying that this is unacceptable. The individual in our society is systematically being degraded, demoted, stripped of his/her liberties and now, simply stripped.

TSA body scanners are supposedly a measure to protect us from Terrorism. Terror? If you read most forums associated with these scanners (as well as most online polls) you will discover that Americans are terrified alright. We are terrified by the insinuation of impending Authoritarianism inherent in this scanner scenario.

The message to every man, to every woman, to every child, is: "You will strip for Us. We will look at your naked bodies. You will not see Us, but We will see you. We will blur certain details of your nude image as a courtesy, but We have the power both to view and to document your nude image if We desire to do so. We may or may not use images of your naked body for Intelligence purposes. If you decline the scan (while declining is still an option) We will explore your body with Our hands rather than Our eyes. Either way We can and will violate you. You cannot win. We are in control. This is for your protection. Submit now."

This isn't merely the threat of a few troglodytic TSA employees receiving X-Ray Glasses from their bosses and being told that they are not only ALLOWED to look up any skirt they want but (snicker, snicker) that they'll be PAID for it. Just that in itself is inappropriate and unacceptable, but -- at least for most -- not an act of Terror. The Terror comes from the logical deduction that a potentially sinister, faceless force is rounding us up and herding us through mandatory checkpoints shoeless, virtually naked, and almost completely powerless.

Whether or not is DOES anything sinister with that power isn't the issue. It's the fact that it could, and that we would be helpless to defend ourselves. That is Terror.

For as long as this technology is in place my family will either drive or take trains.
- Dennis in New Orleans, LA, USA
posted today on NOLA Times-Picayune
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...omments-6.html
Spot on !

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I had posted this over in the Michael Roberts thread, but since we're writing to airlines, here are their addresses, heads, and fax numbers. If anyone wants to join Hoovers.com for the 30-day free trial, we can get email addresses - FYI. I'm personally going to print and mail letters to all of them, though.

American Airlines, Inc.
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155-2605
Phone: 817-963-1234
Fax: 817-967-2841
Presidents: Peter M. Bowler, Robert J. Friedman

Delta Airlines, Inc.
1030 Delta Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30320
Phone: 404-715-2600
Fax: 404-715-5042
Chairman: Daniel Carp
CEO and Director: Richard Anderson

Frontier Airlines, Inc.
7001 Tower Road
Denver, CO 80249
Phone: 720-374-4200
Fax: 720-374-4375
Chairman, President & CEO: Bryan Bedford

Southwest Airlines Company
2072 Love Field Dr.
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: 214-792-4000
Fax: 214-792-5015
Chairman, President & CEO: Gary Kelly

US Airways Group, Inc.
111 W. Rio Salado Pkwy.
Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone: 480-693-0800
Chairman & CEO: W. Douglas Parker

United Continental Holdings
77 W. Wacker Dr.
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-997-8000
Chairman: Glenn Tilton
President, CEO and Director: Jeffery Smisek

Oh, and - here's some verbiage to start off those who'd like to direct missives to these folks. You might want to attach whatever you've already sent to your elected reps.

Dear Sir,

Attached please find a copy of correspondence I recently shared with my elected representatives. Since the issue of airline security is one that directly affects the financial health and well being of airlines such as your own, I feel you ought to be informed there is a groundswelling movement directed at stopping the Federal Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) from gross abuses of the person and effects of those who choose to travel via aircraft.

Until such time as TSA’s processes are reviewed by Congress and the courts, I personally intend to dramatically reduce the frequency and distance (cost) of airline trips I purchase for leisure travel. I feel that the currently required invasion of my privacy necessitates this step. Along with this invasion, of course, has come a requirement to invest noticeably more time, money and mental suffering in the need to arrive several hours early for a flight, and in contemplation of what is now an increasingly likely chance I will be significantly delayed or caused to miss my scheduled departure.

It is my understanding the TSA now shoulders costs and legal responsibilities formerly borne by the airlines in screening passengers, thus the hesitance by airline executives in helping to address these issues. However, I feel the bottom line of America’s air travel companies may at some point be affected by the hesitance of customers to purchase airline travel, given the increased costs via government intervention in what should be the private affairs of common people.

Signed,
Divemistress
[AA/DL/F9/WN/UN/US Frequent Flyer number] (I'm a member of all of them)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by sixteenkats
Some friends and I are trying to come up with some way to inform passengers at airports. We really think it would be helpful to have this be nationwide, although we're willing to go it alone. I will probably post an "event" on the FB page so that the timing can be coordinated once we nail down our plans, but the locations can be diverse. Each region will have to figure out how to meet up.

Rather than just loitering and handing out pamphlets, it would be better if we somehow made it so that passengers were approaching us. Wearing t-shirts or buttons advertising our message and then only giving pamphlets to those who come talk to us. Frankly, I think the cafe press t-shirts you all have linked to so far are too tame. We need to have some of the scanner pics blown up on the shirts... have these been created anywhere yet?

Update: nevermind... this will work for starters: http://www.cafepress.com/+tshirt,441421008
I'd love to see someone do some street theatre inside the airport, with guys in clown face and TSA uniforms. I can think of all kinds of pantomine skits that could be done using a few props and a special "nude-o-scope" booth. It would be a great way to get the message across in an amusing, non-confrontational way, and have much better chance of getting media coverage.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I just sent this letter using the email customer service page at Southwest.com. They have a 2500 character limit and this fits. Fell free to use any portion as an outline for your correspondence with your primary carrier.
I sent a similar note to United's 1Kvoice line and United's new CEO Jeff Smisek yesterday. Unless something changes United will be missing some revenue from me next year.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by polonius
I'd love to see someone do some street theatre inside the airport, with guys in clown face and TSA uniforms. I can think of all kinds of pantomine skits that could be done using a few props and a special "nude-o-scope" booth. It would be a great way to get the message across in an amusing, non-confrontational way, and have much better chance of getting media coverage.
Welcome to Security Theater, brought to you by your local TSA Comedy Troupe!!!

TSOs in Storm Trooper and clown outfits....hehehe
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by rhino_uk

Thanks for posting that. Here is a quote about which I have wondered many times. What happened to us over the last decade or so that we now react so differently than we did in past?

When the IRA was active, they posed a more real threat to the people of the United Kingdom than Al Qaeda & Co. – and they regularly delivered on that threat. We didn’t allow them to change our way of life to anything like the degree we now permit these terrorists to change our liberties and freedoms
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Originally Posted by polonius
That needs a planning thread. And preferably advice from some professional street theatre clowns.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:06 am

Or perhaps a German style 'fleshmob'? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8UmV...eature=related
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
At least there's an opt-out in the US; I was "invited" to the NoS in LHR in July (having already gone through metal detector) and told opting out would result in denial of boarding.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
Thanks for posting that. Here is a quote about which I have wondered many times. What happened to us over the last decade or so that we now react so differently than we did in past?
We were caught with our pants down and were embarrassed?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by doober
We were caught with our pants down and were embarrassed?
so now you get to 'drop them' every time you fly....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by bluenotesro
Welcome to Security Theater, brought to you by your local TSA Comedy Troupe!!!
We could do it in the evening and call it "Twig & Berries at Twilight"...

I'm sure many of you have seen the Star Wars skit on the subway-- where someone dressed as Princess Leia gets on at one stop, and then Stormtroopers and Darth Vader get on at the next one...

Why not do something like that at an airport, and have someone filming the whole thing?

We could do it "flashmob" style, where this is coordinated amongst a couple dozen people. Some folks could show up and create the nude-o-booth prop with various parts, while others then arrive and start the skit. Overall this could be *incredibly* entertaining and a very effective way of getting the message across. If nothing else, I'll bet it gets a few thousand YouTube hits.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by clrankin
We could do it in the evening and call it "Twig & Berries at Twilight"...

I'm sure many of you have seen the Star Wars skit on the subway-- where someone dressed as Princess Leia gets on at one stop, and then Stormtroopers and Darth Vader get on at the next one...

Why not do something like that at an airport, and have someone filming the whole thing?

We could do it "flashmob" style, where this is coordinated amongst a couple dozen people. Some folks could show up and create the nude-o-booth prop with various parts, while others then arrive and start the skit. Overall this could be *incredibly* entertaining and a very effective way of getting the message across. If nothing else, I'll bet it gets a few thousand YouTube hits.
Exactly what I had mind...seriously, I wish I wasn't so damn busy - I can help with the cash, but I just don't have time right now...

You do need to maximise your bang for buck -- have at least a couple of videotapers for youtube video, invite the press, put out a release, and of course you need to plan it all out -- even if it's more ad lib than script, it needs a lot of logistics, and of course, professional, competent clowns, not the kind that work for the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.