Nude-O-Scopes Arrive at MKE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Nude-O-Scopes Arrive at MKE

Story and Video here: http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/101272274.html
Great quote about the detection of a cellphone. I think that the metal detectors would've picked up on that pretty quick.
Currently only in 2 of the 3 terminals (i was hearing E and C) looks like it is millimeter wave. I'm likely flying thru there next month (GRB and ATW the rest of this month, thankfully). I'll be able to say for certain at that point, unless someone else is there before then.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Looks like the media is turning against the nude-o-scope:
Originally Posted by TMJ article
Controversial Body Scanners Added at Mitchell

Mitchell International airport is the latest location to receive full-body scanners that capture a nearly-nude image of travelers.
Emphasis mine.

A few months ago these articles were written with a theme of "new technology keeps passengers safe," and perhaps a mention of privacy concerns in the bottom third of story. Now "controversial" and "nearly-nude" are in the first few words. ^^

Last edited by RadioGirl; Aug 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I'll add it to the list I'm working on. In the next week or so, it will become a Sticky..

Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Dave and Carole of WKLH read my letter on the air this morning criticizing the Nude-O-Scopes. The rest of the letters were also mostly negative.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFly
Dave and Carole of WKLH read my letter on the air this morning criticizing the Nude-O-Scopes. The rest of the letters were also mostly negative.
Would you share that letter with us?

Also from the link:

After learning that the scanner took a nearly-nude image of her, she was not sure whether she would go through the scanner again.
Quite obviously, this passenger had no idea what was being done to her until after she'd been through the machine.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I had to write it quickly to get it to them on time - so it is not perfect. Here it is.

I was listening to your show and heard the discussion about the Whole Body Imagers (commonly referred to as the Nude-o-Scopes).

I would encourage you and your listeners to opt out of them as long as it is allowed. Not for the reason that it provides a very detailed image of your body to some TSO in a different room (I consider that punishment if they want to look at my overweight 50 year old body). The reason to opt out is two fold. The first is that the backscatter units use ionizing radiation that only penetrates to skin level only. As you know, ionizing radiation is cumulative and there have been NO studies done outside of the TSA to indicate the safety and efficacy of these units. The units are even more dangerous for children as the potential for harm to their DNA is even greater than it is for adults. In fact, the University of California San Francisco has published studies saying that the exposure may be 200 times greater than initially thought. Also, the TSA has opted out of having the units tested, maintained or certified by any of the agencies that have to look at other equipment providing ionizing radiation. Ask your dentist what he has to comply with to have his x-ray machine!

The second reason to opt out is that the machines are useless for their stated purpose. They would not have stopped the underwear bomber, they cannot detect anything that is under a fold of skin, or hidden in a body cavity. So in essence you are being strip searched with no probable cause, being exposed to potentially harmful radiation and not enhancing our security at all. The best combination of security is the WTMD, x-ray of bags, and ETD or ETP (the swaps).

There is plenty of information available on this subject and it is in everyone's interest to inform themselves about their options when it comes to airport security.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
According to the MKE Facebook page, the scanners are at Concourse C and Concourse D.

Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
According to the MKE Facebook page, the scanners are at Concourse C and Concourse D.

I was at MKE on Friday. They are in C (where AA and UA are located) but were not being used at the time.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was at MKE on Friday. They are in C (where AA and UA are located) but were not being used at the time.
Perhaps they could keep it that way?

Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Well that truly sucks. Unfortunately it will get turned at some point. The opt out had better be available.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Just remember to ask the TSO standing next to the nude-o-scope if he/she feels safe standing next to the machine, and then remind them of when the US Government told everyone in the Nevada desert that there were no harmful affects from nuclear radiation or fallout.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Italy98
Just remember to ask the TSO standing next to the nude-o-scope if he/she feels safe standing next to the machine, and then remind them of when the US Government told everyone in the Nevada desert that there were no harmful affects from nuclear radiation or fallout.
And that the Tuskegee experiment was completely safe for all the participants.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weren't there also non consensual LSD experiments?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Weren't there also non consensual LSD experiments?
Given a chance, those in power will always screw over those who have none.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou65201

Just went through one today and I could have sworn it was not there last week.

This process is abysmal. If this device requires me to take out every piece of paper in my pockets then maybe everyone should just cover themselves in paper mache.

What makes matters worse is they insist you deposit your wallet and money in a bin before turning in the opposite direction for the scan. Ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.