Wiki Posts
Search

Two Forms of ID Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Question Two Forms of ID Required

Here I sit on US192 this evening, questioning the experience I had in MCO. It would seem that MCO TSA implemented a new policy requiring all individuals to produce not one, but two forms of ID and a boarding pass. I was in the Expert Traveler lane which shares an ID checker with the Employee line. This new policy was being targeted against not only us fliers, but all employees and other staff as well. I watched them catch a FAM, Pilot, and a few flight attendants quite by surprise. The FAM seemed particularly ticked.

I had a second form of ID available, and needed to catch my flight so on I went, but I did question a supervisor at the security desk and was informed it was just something that they randomly implement for additional security. When I asked if the common traveler now needed two forms of ID and not just one to speed their way through the airport, I was informed if they had time sensitive deadlines, it would be highly recommended, as someone without a second form of ID would be subject to additional scrutiny.

I also asked him if they would be updating any documentation on the TSA website about this new policy and was informed that as it was a policy that was not always in effect, it would not be updated.

So, what happened here? Did I miss the newest installment of the security theater? Did we have some new near miss to drive up security? Just seemed quite odd all in all.

-- Mia
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I hate to admit to messing up my own post, but in retrospect, this would seem to belong in Safety/Security and not in US Airways, even though I am sure my fellow DM members would get quite a kick out of it. If no objections, please move.

-- Mia
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
That's another example of these TSA morons making up rules as they go. They need to drop the id thing to start with. If they do their jobs I don't care who is on the plane with me.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by miakayuuki
Here I sit on US192 this evening, questioning the experience I had in MCO. It would seem that MCO TSA implemented a new policy requiring all individuals to produce not one, but two forms of ID and a boarding pass. I was in the Expert Traveler lane which shares an ID checker with the Employee line. This new policy was being targeted against not only us fliers, but all employees and other staff as well. I watched them catch a FAM, Pilot, and a few flight attendants quite by surprise. The FAM seemed particularly ticked.

I had a second form of ID available, and needed to catch my flight so on I went, but I did question a supervisor at the security desk and was informed it was just something that they randomly implement for additional security. When I asked if the common traveler now needed two forms of ID and not just one to speed their way through the airport, I was informed if they had time sensitive deadlines, it would be highly recommended, as someone without a second form of ID would be subject to additional scrutiny.

I also asked him if they would be updating any documentation on the TSA website about this new policy and was informed that as it was a policy that was not always in effect, it would not be updated.

So, what happened here? Did I miss the newest installment of the security theater? Did we have some new near miss to drive up security? Just seemed quite odd all in all.

-- Mia
Yeah, you know 'S.S.I.'...
Once it moves, I'm sure the TSA crew will neither confirm nor deny SSI on this mystery policy

BTW, Thank you for the heads up, I fly out of MCO next weekend and was not planing on bringing more then 1 form of ID. Of course with the random-ness of policies I may need 3 forms
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, 3 forms of ID, all Federal or State issue, blood, urine, and hair samples, voice verification, and at least one priest to verify you are not possessed.

Oh, and don't forget your boarding pass.

-- Mia
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I fly through MCO every week and this is a new one to me. Did they say they both have to be photo id? If so, there are going to be major issues--most people have only 1 photo id (driver's license).

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

They did not, they just kept telling each person up there they needed two IDs. One poor flight attendant had to dig through her carry-on to find her passport.

Of the few other IDs that I saw people pull they were all photo, as was mine. I am pretty sure this is just more BS, and I am sure you can get through on just one, just be prepared for delays.

-- Mia
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by miakayuuki
...I also asked him if they would be updating any documentation on the TSA website about this new policy and was informed that as it was a policy that was not always in effect, it would not be updated. ...
That's simply unacceptable. If there are new TSA rules which may impede the orderly flow of pax security traffic on any given day, they should be publicized and on the website. For all of us FFs, please file a complaint with TSA regarding their arbitrary MCO procedures, and escalate to your local Congressman/Senator if necessary.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:28 pm

I've heard from some co-workers that this has been an issue in MCO for a while. They're only getting 1 from me, if they want to deny me access to the secure side then I'll just call scheduling and tell them I can't take the trip since I can't get through.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:44 pm
RNE

I am not trying to defend the TSA, mind you, but it has long been their practice to alter/add additional security without announcing/publicizing it. This can be bothersome, true, but one doesn't want bad guys to be too sure what will be expected of them as they try to pass through Security. As the OP notes, you can still get through Security without having a second ID, you'll simply come under additional scrutiny. Again, let me reiterate, I am not advocating such measures nor suggesting they are effective; I'm merely pointing out that they are nothing new.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by RNE
I am not trying to defend the TSA, mind you, but it has long been their practice to alter/add additional security without announcing/publicizing it. This can be bothersome, true, but one doesn't want bad guys to be too sure what will be expected of them as they try to pass through Security. As the OP notes, you can still get through Security without having a second ID, you'll simply come under additional scrutiny. Again, let me reiterate, I am not advocating such measures nor suggesting they are effective; I'm merely pointing out that they are nothing new.
Yep, this almost as effective as not putting the names of real bad guys on the no-fly-list so they don't know we're on to them. x 6.02E23

Couple of months back, TSA at MCO airside 1/3 would not accept my INS Green Card for ID, crayoned "SSSS" on my BP, searched me down in the pre-WTMD line to ensure I went to the plastic penalty box, and then engaged in highly effective additional screening. Great time was had by all. Best line was from a 3 striper, who, when I demanded to know exactly what was wrong with my DHS issued ID since I had used it but a week earlier to re-enter the country stated, "well, probably nothing, but the call is up to the guy doing the document check."
Seems to me a several year intensive instruction program couldn't raise some of these buffoons' performance to merely unsat levels.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
That's a shame... I've been going through MCO weekly now since March and will say they normally manage the Expert Traveler lane very well with all of the families, strollers, and craziness running around that place sometimes. Then again, sounds like another stunt dreamed up by this government-sponsored employment agency hiding behind the label of "your safety". Ya never know...that 2nd form of ID just may bring Al Qaeda's next big plan to it's knees as they nab Osama trying to board the PHX flight in a Donald Duck t-shirt. No surprise at all...but still the best example of what happens when the government takes something over.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:28 pm

The TSA is correct and wise to start mixing things up instead of having a 100% set way of doing things, Not great for the travelers but much better for security. I really like the face to face random interviews being done past security. A static, everytime and place the same is dangerious policy.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by AggieNzona
The TSA is correct and wise to start mixing things up instead of having a 100% set way of doing things, Not great for the travelers but much better for security. I really like the face to face random interviews being done past security. A static, everytime and place the same is dangerious policy.
Oh boy, this thread is going to need to be put in TS/S very fast.

Your last sentence is true. However, many feel that the usual inconsistency is nothing more than a crutch and an excuse for complete lack of any standards applied anywhere.

And then this issue comes up: In what way is security affected by matching any form of ID, let alone two, to a name on a boarding pass before entering the checkpoint?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
And then this issue comes up: In what way is security affected by matching any form of ID, let alone two, to a name on a boarding pass before entering the checkpoint?
It's about as effective as the fake ID I had 20 years ago I used to buy booze with. Had the watermarks, holograms, and all... They can save their (MY) money on the jewelers glasses and cute flashlights, the technology passed them before they ever caught on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.