Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

If drug mules swallow drugs and fly, can't terrorists swallow explosive devices?

If drug mules swallow drugs and fly, can't terrorists swallow explosive devices?

Old May 6, 2010, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I wa

/

Last edited by Connie_DFW; May 9, 2010 at 2:37 pm
Old May 6, 2010, 10:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They have been working on it for months

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6862247.ece
Old May 7, 2010, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Connie_DFW
if it ever happens, how will the TSA react?
How will they react?, you ask

Something like this...

"He surprised me by blowing himself up," Prince Mohammed bin Nayef reportedly told al-Arabiya, in a masterpiece of understated commentary.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Connie_DFW
more importantly, if it ever happens, how will the TSA react?
Crank up the x-rays on the nude-o-scope enough to see through the entire body, make it mandatory for primary screening, and let the health consequences be d****d. After all, it's "for your own safety" and that "of the children" and done "out of an abundance of caution." And if you don't like it, you can always choose to take the bus.

Unfortunately I don't think this sarcastic response is all that far off from what TSA leadership would think about or like to do.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta, United
This technique (of mule explosives) is why I am against WBI. WBI can not detect such devices and as such are worthless as a known way of avoidance is already possible. Of course until cargo is 100% inspected we could all fly naked and it would not make any difference.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: *wood Gold
What ever happened to the thought that living in society involved certain risks that people inherently accept by their choice to live in society?

Flying has certain risks that come with it. There is no way to make airline travel completely safe or guarantee that terrorists cannot do something to attack, destroy, or disrupt the air travel system or individual airliners. People should either be willing to accept these risks, as slim as they are, or simply not fly from place to place. (After all, isn't that the security maven's answer to everything-- "you don't have to fly"... What's good for the goose is good for the gander.)

Prior to 9/11 airline hijackings happened. So did airliner bombings. And yet somehow we all managed to survive without invasive scanning techniques, sexual assault-style pat-downs, and Little Johnny Peepants running around screaming "Be afraid! Be very afraid!" every 15 minutes. Prohibited items made it through, and so did the occasional person without being scanned, and that didn't result in wasting hundreds of peoples' time by initiating terminal dumps.

I'm willing to risk stepping on board with a terrorist that has swallowed explosives and is ready to blow himself up, rather than accept even more intrusive and invasive procedures. I'm willing to risk the remote detonation of a bomb, rather than risk TSA theft of my laptop or cell phone by having to put the items in checked luggage. I'm willing to accept the slim risks of air travel, and steadfastly believe that any other rational person should be too.

The TSA was a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible incident. Unfortunately some of its policies-- and much of its implementation of all policies-- hasn't done too much to make travel appreciably safer. Instead of making us safe, they've concentrated on the irrelevant and the mundane. They're more geared toward throwing out bottles of Aquafina and confiscating grandma's applesauce than implementing policies to ensure that everyone and everything going into the "sterile" area are properly screened. And they're more focused on enforcement of existing "rules" than they are on figuring out the next rule-changing scenario before it plays out somewhere. It's unfortunate, but true.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by clrankin
What ever happened to the thought that living in society involved certain risks that people inherently accept by their choice to live in society?

Flying has certain risks that come with it. There is no way to make airline travel completely safe or guarantee that terrorists cannot do something to attack, destroy, or disrupt the air travel system or individual airliners. People should either be willing to accept these risks, as slim as they are, or simply not fly from place to place. (After all, isn't that the security maven's answer to everything-- "you don't have to fly"... What's good for the goose is good for the gander.)

Prior to 9/11 airline hijackings happened. So did airliner bombings. And yet somehow we all managed to survive without invasive scanning techniques, sexual assault-style pat-downs, and Little Johnny Peepants running around screaming "Be afraid! Be very afraid!" every 15 minutes. Prohibited items made it through, and so did the occasional person without being scanned, and that didn't result in wasting hundreds of peoples' time by initiating terminal dumps.

I'm willing to risk stepping on board with a terrorist that has swallowed explosives and is ready to blow himself up, rather than accept even more intrusive and invasive procedures. I'm willing to risk the remote detonation of a bomb, rather than risk TSA theft of my laptop or cell phone by having to put the items in checked luggage. I'm willing to accept the slim risks of air travel, and steadfastly believe that any other rational person should be too.

The TSA was a knee-jerk reaction to a terrible incident. Unfortunately some of its policies-- and much of its implementation of all policies-- hasn't done too much to make travel appreciably safer. Instead of making us safe, they've concentrated on the irrelevant and the mundane. They're more geared toward throwing out bottles of Aquafina and confiscating grandma's applesauce than implementing policies to ensure that everyone and everything going into the "sterile" area are properly screened. And they're more focused on enforcement of existing "rules" than they are on figuring out the next rule-changing scenario before it plays out somewhere. It's unfortunate, but true.
Great Post. ^ ^ ^ I'm with you all the way. I refuse to kowtow to the fearmongers--what kind of a life is that?
Old May 7, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by studentff
Crank up the x-rays on the nude-o-scope enough to see through the entire body, make it mandatory for primary screening, and let the health consequences be d****d.
It's already being done to pets.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:44 pm

I have worked with a large variety of companies to develop technology solutions that best suits their needs in industries such as semiconductors, finance, education, aerospace/defense, and most recently, adult entertainment. To best understand a business, I have been invited into clean rooms that make chips, sit inside the cockpit of a C-5 Galaxy heavy transport, and attend university lectures like I was back in college.

Part of the fact finding at my last job has proven to me that the WBIs are a pointless exercise. Most people cannot comprehend how much volume the human body can accommodate with little visible discomfort. Given a few weeks of training and a lot of motivation, surprisingly large objects of a variety of shapes and sizes can be retained rather easily. Factor in a person's sex and you can easily double capacity.

I really could care less about the nudity aspect. What I do hate is tax dollars being spent on a technology that is easy defeated.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WChou
I really could care less about the nudity aspect. What I do hate is tax dollars being spent on a technology that is easy defeated.
these companies get multi-million(if not billion) government contract to make these new devices..... I'm sure the shareholders are quite happy about it.

it's kind of like world peace.... defense contractors are the last people who want that...
Old May 7, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Clearly the best solution is to start swabbing everyone's mouth when they go through security.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
What fine ideas. Not just swabs, though. there aslo should be insertion of surgical cameras to check each relevant orifice. No need to check cargo, just carryon baggage is quite enough.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:57 pm

Wont be long and a human body will have to be put into a 100-gallon clear ziplock container that can be hung in blast proof compartments on the aircraft. Of course, the human body will have to be unclothed and not exceed a maximum weight of 200 pounds. The number of human bodies per container will be limited to one, unless there is a baby. It can go with its mother, but of course the 200 pound total limit still applies.

As a positive side effect, this will take care of the fitting into a seat with armrests down issue, as well as gate-licing will be eliminated by new forklift based boarding procedures.
Old May 7, 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Clearly the best solution is to start swabbing everyone's mouth when they go through security.
Oh, a lot of what I saw was not done orally.
Old May 7, 2010, 4:33 pm

For those who might like to see why this idea is so remote a possibility, here is a link to some information. Just swallowing some explosive is not going to cut it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.