Wiki Posts
Search

Costco card as ID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Talking Costco card as ID

I flew out of MCI 4/8 to ABQ to visit my mother. I had changed wallets before leaving and left my drivers license in the one at home. When I got to the ID checker I told him I had no DL with me. He asked for 2 other pieces, preferably one with a photo. All I had was my Costco card that has a pic on it plus a AX card. He said "works for me". No more questions, no more screening, just continued on.

Leaving ABQ to return to MCI, I had to be patted down, and my purse and carryon thoroughly searched and swabbed. But they were very polite about it.

Don't you just love consistency? TSA is such a joke.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by susiesan
I flew out of MCI 4/8 to ABQ to visit my mother. I had changed wallets before leaving and left my drivers license in the one at home. When I got to the ID checker I told him I had no DL with me. He asked for 2 other pieces, preferably one with a photo. All I had was my Costco card that has a pic on it plus a AX card. He said "works for me". No more questions, no more screening, just continued on.

Leaving ABQ to return to MCI, I had to be patted down, and my purse and carryon thoroughly searched and swabbed. But they were very polite about it.

Don't you just love consistency? TSA is such a joke.
Hey know, it was a "layer of skewrity!!" Even thought airport A did this, we at airport B do it this way. We have stopped so many terwists with our "layers"
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
And I got a bridge in Brooklyn and swampland in Florida to sell ya. . .

But of course. TSA BDOs know budget tewwowists shop at Wallymart/Sams. Tewwowists with a sense of karma shop at Target, naturally. None shop at Lowe's or Home Depot anymore, since box cutters are no longer effective weapons. Only Real™ 'Mericans shop at Costco, thus your Costco card is as good as an FBI background check to DHS.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
sad day when a modicum of common sense results in babbling baby talk from the natives...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
sad day when a modicum of common sense results in babbling baby talk from the natives...
Pardon? Isn't it TSA who states:

Originally Posted by http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm
Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.
Somehow, I don't see how a Costco card passes as a "federal or state-issued photo ID", much less having a "tamper-resistant feature". Care to enlighten us?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Saw Exact Same Thing at SFO

on March 25, 2009. Couple in front of me to be exact. Woman had no ID, male companion was exasperated with her but no worries. As she rifled through her wallet she came across her Costco card, which the TSA agent happily accepted. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Yeah. Common sense.

Do you know what it takes to get a Cosco membership card?

1. Cash
2. An application.

That's it. No ID needed. In fact, you can fill out the online form and they will mail you your card and then you can go to the membership desk and have them issue you a new card with your photo.

Yeah. Great to know that TSA will accept a non-secure, non-government issued "ID" as proof of identity.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Yeah. Common sense.

Do you know what it takes to get a Cosco membership card?

1. Cash
2. An application.

That's it. No ID needed. In fact, you can fill out the online form and they will mail you your card and then you can go to the membership desk and have them issue you a new card with your photo.

Yeah. Great to know that TSA will accept a non-secure, non-government issued "ID" as proof of identity.
So, what - you support them checking for government-issued IDs, and being required to show these at the checkpoint? Or you're pissed that you've always shown your driving license instead of your Costco card?

Regardless, you should have a think about what "government issued ID" actually means - in many, many countries the process required to obtained one is somewhat similar to obtaining a Costco card. Now what?

The requirement for a government issued ID is a ridiculous one - ^ to the TSO for using common sense in this case.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
So, what - you support them checking for government-issued IDs, and being required to show these at the checkpoint? Or you're pissed that you've always shown your driving license instead of your Costco card?
No, I support doing away with the ID check all together and this incident proves what security theater this is.

And, for the record, I have never shown my DL or my Costco card to any TSO anywhere.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The requirement for a government issued ID is a ridiculous one - ^ to the TSO for using common sense in this case.
Wait, I thought you were a supporter of security at any cost? I must have missed something.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Wait, I thought you were a supporter of security at any cost? I must have missed something.
clearly you are confusing me with someone else. Your ridiculous comment couldn't be further from the truth.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: *wood Gold
It's a sad day when TSA accepts Costco cards but calls LEOs to put people who want to use their government issued NEXUS card in cuffs...

Or is that inconsistency by design? Changing policies to keep those nasty, evil terrrrists guessing what lunacy is next?

You've gotta love TSA. When they're inconsistent, it's by design and they're doing it to fool terrrrists and keep 'Merica safe, and free, 'cause of 9/11, don't ya know?

And when they're consistent, it's because their folks don't know or adequately understand their policies and procedures and keep messing things up.

And since TSA's ID checking rules seem concerned that it be a non-expired picture ID with DOB on it issued by federal or state government, I guess I can indeed cover up various PII portions of my DL (like address and customer number) should I have the need to.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clrankin
It's a sad day when TSA accepts Costco cards but calls LEOs to put people who want to use their government issued NEXUS card in cuffs...

Or is that inconsistency by design? Changing policies to keep those nasty, evil terrrrists guessing what lunacy is next?

You've gotta love TSA. When they're inconsistent, it's by design and they're doing it to fool terrrrists and keep 'Merica safe, and free, 'cause of 9/11, don't ya know?

And when they're consistent, it's because their folks don't know or adequately understand their policies and procedures and keep messing things up.

And since TSA's ID checking rules seem concerned that it be a non-expired picture ID with DOB on it issued by federal or state government, I guess I can indeed cover up various PII portions of my DL (like address and customer number) should I have the need to.
Bob Burns, TSA Blogger in Chief, claims TSA employees are well trained so it's obvious that you could never have a problem with a TSA employee not knowing which ID is acceptable.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Bob Burns, TSA Blogger in Chief, claims TSA employees are well trained so it's obvious that you could never have a problem with a TSA employee not knowing which ID is acceptable.
Interesting how there's never been a post at PV about the problems that one of the folks here at FT had when he presented his NEXUS card... Not I'd accuse Blogdad Bob of censorship or anything like that...

After all, we know the TSA is all about respecting people and their freedoms... <ROTFLMAO>
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've used my company issued photo ID badge several times. It has a big red stripe on it that indicates something in the company, but the TSA checkers seem to be impressed.

Aren't you impressed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.