Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced Security Theater: Your Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Enhanced Security Theater: Your Experiences

Once again, the TSA and accompanying state security apparatus are in full-on overreaction mode (Threat Level: Elmo) as they cripple the air transportation system is ways Al Qaeda could only but dream.

If FTers would document their experiences (date, airport, airline, what happened) it would be incredibly useful to all of us who travel. Would it not be helpful to know, for example, that PHX performed Taint Checks, while MIA settled for the more subtle pre-board random Scrotal Rub? Exactly.

Let's roll!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:01 am

Not sure if this is related:

Bangkok to SYD, Dec. 26: Everyone's carry-on bag was quickly searched at the gate; I didn't see any people being patted down. We also had to go through two passport & boarding-pass checks that were only about 20 meters apart at the gate, after the main passport control (for a total of 3 passport/boarding-pass checks).

The extra passport check and bag search didn't happen when I flew BKK-Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago, but maybe that's because it was an internal flight.

Last edited by Cat1099; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:06 am
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:59 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Heard from friend yesterday about buddy who felw UA MIA-MLI Sunday. Security included pat-downs. Took 3hrs. Guy was non-elite. AM departue.Sunday busy travel day anyways. For what it's worth.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:54 am

Domestic MCO-ATL was okay

I flew MCO-ATL on 12/27, mid-afternoon. Nothing unusual that I experienced or saw at the security checkpoint. I had my normal rollaboard and laptop bag, not a problem there. No extra checks at the gate. Nothing unusual on the plane, could read and use the restroom as per normal.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
SNA today: There were two smurfs at each TDC. One watching what the other one was doing. Might have looked at my passport in more detail. Other than that, nothing too different. Seems like they might have been doing a bit more WTMD "quick" patdowns, but nothing too extreme (like SFO likes to do).

There was a group of smurfs doing random gate checks for a flight departing next to my gate.

There seemed to be some "stepping up" of stuff, but not to the extreme that I might have expected.

My general attitude has not changed, however. This worthless agency needs to be taken out back and shot. We are no better of than pre 9/11 and this week's events have transparently proven that.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:58 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Departing DEN today was mostly normal, apart from 20 minutes in the elite line at TSA because the joking TSA officer checking IDs was slower than any I have ever seen. In fact, what is usually a 5 minutes wait from that point in the line took 20 minutes. Freakin' insane.

But, once into the screening lines, things went as normal.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:40 am

I am anticipating reading of a hilarious airport dump and general pandemonium when sooner or later some guy who cross dresses gets a new, "more intimate" pat down and Security finds a "package" where they didn't expect to find one on an an apparent "lady".
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:05 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ssh
Departing DEN today was mostly normal, apart from 20 minutes in the elite line at TSA because the joking TSA officer checking IDs was slower than any I have ever seen. In fact, what is usually a 5 minutes wait from that point in the line took 20 minutes. Freakin' insane.

But, once into the screening lines, things went as normal.
Maybe if he stayed longer at his post he gets overtime pay?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:10 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On 12/28/09 aa 65 from zrh-jfk, started the boarding process early, and so after carry-on checks and pat downs, we left pretty much on time. At the end of the flight the 1 hour rule kicked in, (I was in bc) unused blankets (still in the plastic seal) were allowed to stay in the seat area. The one hour rule changed (in the good direction) shortly after we landed.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
As I was in the USA (Hawai'i) at the time of the attempted attack, I spent the next few days stressing about what I could expect on the way out.

In the event (two days ago), there was almost no queue for security at KOA, screening was normal (i.e., pointless theatre), and I didn't observe any sort of other security theatre, e.g., gate checks or whatever. During subsequent travel from NRT I also did not experience anything out of the ordinary.

The only change I saw was officers doing "random" "security" checks on vehicles arriving at KOA.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Second-hand report from a friend who flew Delta from Venice to JFK on the 27th. Second screening at the gate before boarding, delaying flight. The nothing in your lap and no standing up rules were enforced for the last hour of the flight, and then they waited on the tarmac for close to an hour because the gates were so backed up at JFK.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
^ Great idea for a thread, in a few days I'm flying AA and Alaska international and domestic and I'm still not sure if I'll be allowed 1 carry-on + personal item or carry-on only, and also stressing about long lines or missing connections. Thanks to all of you documenting your own or friends' experiences.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:29 pm

Was just secondary screened at PHL. My laptop got jostled on the belt while I was waiting in the plastic box to be screened. Asked male TSA man a question about if they could move my laptop in my line of sight or at least elsewhere so it wouldn't get hit again, but completely ignored me. Female screener who did the secondary was fine, but I would have appreciated a little more notice about what was going on -- didn't even have a chance to ask her to change gloves. Also would have appreciated a "just please wait a moment for a female screener" instead of being nudged into the plastic box and "locked" inside. Do they ever disinfect in there?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by pineappley
Was just secondary screened at PHL. My laptop got jostled on the belt while I was waiting in the plastic box to be screened. Asked male TSA man a question about if they could move my laptop in my line of sight or at least elsewhere so it wouldn't get hit again, but completely ignored me. Female screener who did the secondary was fine, but I would have appreciated a little more notice about what was going on -- didn't even have a chance to ask her to change gloves. Also would have appreciated a "just please wait a moment for a female screener" instead of being nudged into the plastic box and "locked" inside. Do they ever disinfect in there?
re: the screening that didn't go according to sop.....one phrase to be memorized: "please* do not screen me or my belongings until my belongings are in my line of sight and please change your gloves". if nothing happens, then "STOP screening me until my belongings are in my ling of sight and change your gloves NOW" is to be said as loud as you can

*always be polite the first time around
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: *Alliance
DFW-SFO 2 hours in advance for security?? nah!

Having heard all the news about the new security rules we decided to arrive at the airport 2 hours ahead of our 6A flight, anticipating the worst. Walked in the door and up the escalator of terminal E at 3:55A and already there was a line for the security check. Quickly lined up as well and then ..... waited... and waited... Apparently TSA hadn't made the calculation that if people are to be there 2 hours in advance then the TSA employees better be there as well. There wasn't ANYBODY from TSA at the checkpoint. No sign of when it opened, nada! Nothing but the TSA video playing over and over again about liquids and baggies.

We continued to stand there patiently as airport employees walked past us on their way to the gate. We could see them put coats etc in trays and then disappear. So there was somebody back there but whom?

Finally at 4:20A two TSA employees sauntered up to the line, chatted a bit between themselves and started examining IDs. The line moved very quickly. We got our stuff in trays and were through the other side in probably 6-7 minutes. No extra searches, no questions, zip zip and we were done. Didn't see anyone getting pat downs or special attention.

Boarded our flight, UA344 - a A319, and everything went smoothly. Movie was working. There was an announcement that we would be landing in an hour so now was your chance to use the toilets, but no following -- and you have to stay in your seats for the last hour. There weren't any blankets on board so nothing was said about surrendering them. The last hour the fasten seat belt light was off.

All in all - other than the waiting for TSA to show up - this was the easiest security process I have been through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.