Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Thumbs down New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet. Per Air Canada's website:

Under new rules enacted by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, passengers and their carry-on baggage will be subject to full searches both at airport screening points and prior to boarding at the aircraft gate area.
In addition, new rules imposed by Transport Canada will limit the amount of carry-on baggage to one item per person travelling on flights from Canada to the United States.
New rules imposed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration also limit on-board activities by customers and crew in U.S. airspace that may adversely impact on-board service. Among other things, during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
So for the last hour of an international flight, the passengers and kids will have to stay seated and not be allowed to use the rest rooms! That should be interesting. I wonder how that will work out?

Let's punish the masses for the action of one whackjob from Nigeria!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I believe that the rational, 100% secure response is to immediately begin deploying BDOs overseas. They would have caught this guy, no question. Of course we will want US BDOs since we obviously can't trust foreigners. We will just start shipping them off to AMS, CDG, LON,... Of course we will have to pay their housing and other costs while on assignment, so TSA is going to need a few billion more dollars.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
So for the last hour of an international flight, the passengers and kids will have to stay seated and not be allowed to use the rest rooms! That should be interesting. I wonder how that will work out?

Let's punish the masses for the action of one whackjob from Nigeria!
Yes, because wackjobs would never think to ignite their firecracker 65 minutes out. Just another layer...
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: Lots
The "final hour" rule is especially hilarious. Ok, fine, The Bad Man will just blow up his stuff before then.

I'd like to see the TSA try and enforce my not having a magazine on my lap. I'd also like to see the TSA explain that passengers on one hour domestic flights may not get up at all.

Pure and simple overreaction. Go TSA!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Hold your horses. There's no confirmation yet from TSA. For all we know, Air Canada could have made that part up.

I still am holding firmly on the fact that I strongly doubt TSA will enact any new policies. Why? This was an international flight that happened to land in Detroit. TSA had nothing, zilch to do with the screening. Therefore, they have no say about this.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:48 am

Just heard on CNN... New security policy in ATL that they are now scanning the barcode tag on every bag as it is placed on the belt being put in the cargo hold.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Maybe the airlines can invest in those bars like they have on roller coasters that lock you in place in your seat.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tev9999
Just heard on CNN... New security policy in ATL that they are now scanning the barcode tag on every bag as it is placed on the belt being put in the cargo hold.
Do reporters EVER travel? ;-P
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Andy1369
Hold your horses. There's no confirmation yet from TSA. For all we know, Air Canada could have made that part up.

I still am holding firmly on the fact that I strongly doubt TSA will enact any new policies. Why? This was an international flight that happened to land in Detroit. TSA had nothing, zilch to do with the screening. Therefore, they have no say about this.
News outlets are reporting imposition of these draconian rules on UK - US flights : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...S-flights.html

I just checked the status of UA's flights from FRA to ORD and IAD, and they all look badly delayed, indicating that something is probably going on.

I fear you are too optimistic about TSA having a rational response. TSA's entire philosophy is based on reactionary restrictions after an incident. The "liquid bomb" incident involved international flights, and no bad guy with a liquid ever bought a ticket, let alone boarded a plane. Yet they banned all liquids for several months, implemented absurd restrictions on UK - US flights (virtually no carry on) for quite a while, and continue to have absurd restrictions on liquids.

Granted, we haven't seen a domestic response from TSA yet (or any statement by a US carrier). It's possible what we are seeing is all the overseas stations going into some pre-planned "fail safe" mode with the se restrictions until they get directions from the mothership (DHS/TSA at home, who are certainly still in holiday mode and not running at full force), which could in theory take a deep breath and realize that no action is needed (and that the proposed actions do absolutely nothing to mitigate the threat).

But I have little doubt that this incident by another bungling nutjob will in the end cost us more of our freedom and dignity, cost more $, and make traveling even less fun.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
That makes sense. I guess I am still in holiday mode myself, and kind of thinking oh, no, is one person gonna screw it up for all of us again? Call it denial or hope, I'm just not up to yet more changes in policy, and this was totally unexpected. I guess we've been kind of "lulling" for the past 3 years since 2006's liquid fiasco, so this kind of came as a surprise.

I too wonder about the domestic response. My gut tells me there may be a few changes domestically, but not as severe as the international flights. Not being allowed to get up >1 hour prior to landing, and not having access to your luggage seems way too extreme, IMHO. I'm sure some airlines will protest against those policies, too, especially due to serving first class and the such.

One thing that makes me wonder...if JUST one person can screw it up for all of us, then how effective is our security system, really? We need to be more proactive than reactive. Kneejerk reactions never do any good (2006's liquid bans a perfect case study of this).

Originally Posted by studentff
News outlets are reporting imposition of these draconian rules on UK - US flights : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...S-flights.html

I just checked the status of UA's flights from FRA to ORD and IAD, and they all look badly delayed, indicating that something is probably going on.

I fear you are too optimistic about TSA having a rational response. TSA's entire philosophy is based on reactionary restrictions after an incident. The "liquid bomb" incident involved international flights, and no bad guy with a liquid ever bought a ticket, let alone boarded a plane. Yet they banned all liquids for several months, implemented absurd restrictions on UK - US flights (virtually no carry on) for quite a while, and continue to have absurd restrictions on liquids.

Granted, we haven't seen a domestic response from TSA yet (or any statement by a US carrier). It's possible what we are seeing is all the overseas stations going into some pre-planned "fail safe" mode with the se restrictions until they get directions from the mothership (DHS/TSA at home, who are certainly still in holiday mode and not running at full force), which could in theory take a deep breath and realize that no action is needed (and that the proposed actions do absolutely nothing to mitigate the threat).

But I have little doubt that this incident by another bungling nutjob will in the end cost us more of our freedom and dignity, cost more $, and make traveling even less fun.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:13 am

i don't fly again till january 4. i hope this crap gets sorted out by then.

and the one carryon rule: 100% stupid. a rule that has nothing to do with anything.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:27 am

A single terrorist can make life worse for millions of people.

This guy and the shoe bomber have succeeded beyond their wildest imaginations.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by squatch
i don't fly again till january 4. i hope this crap gets sorted out by then.
January 4, 2015, I hope? That's how long this one will take. Oh, sorry, by then we'll all be flying naked, duct-taped to our seats.

Originally Posted by squatch
and the one carryon rule: 100% stupid. a rule that has nothing to do with anything.
Well, actually it does: if you want to hand-search everything, then searching one bag takes less time than searching two.

Just bring on Israeli-style security for everyone, but do it all at once. We'll all be "safe" and the airlines will all go "bankrupt" because so many fewer people will fly.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Andy1369

It is listed on the websites of Westjet and Porter, two other airlines that fly into the US from Canada. I also doubt any airline would 'make up' a warning, as these measures are certainly not customer friendly!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.