Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
A single terrorist can make life worse for millions of people.

This guy and the shoe bomber have succeeded beyond their wildest imaginations.
How many billions of passengers were affected by only Reid? How many billions did it cost the traveling public?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tev9999
I believe that the rational, 100% secure response is to immediately begin deploying BDOs overseas. They would have caught this guy, no question. Of course we will want US BDOs since we obviously can't trust foreigners. We will just start shipping them off to AMS, CDG, LON,... Of course we will have to pay their housing and other costs while on assignment, so TSA is going to need a few billion more dollars.
Nice one!

Originally Posted by Axey
The "final hour" rule is especially hilarious. Ok, fine, The Bad Man will just blow up his stuff before then.

I'd like to see the TSA try and enforce my not having a magazine on my lap. I'd also like to see the TSA explain that passengers on one hour domestic flights may not get up at all.

Pure and simple overreaction. Go TSA!
How long will it be before all our flights resemble Con Air?

Last edited by n4zhg; Dec 26, 2009 at 7:55 am
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
What next-- hand-cuffing all passengers to their seats for the duration of the flight?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The terrorists have watched the reaction of the USG and they know that a simple, non-fatal incident like Reid or this guy are enough to cause millions of passengers to be disrupted and hundreds of millions of dollars of damage to the US airlines and economy.

Not a single death, only one low-level operative arrested, and a huge reaction.

Very, very high ROI..... and this kind of stuff will continue until the US gets serious about managing risk as opposed to the knee-jerk attempts at risk elimination.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The terrorists have watched the reaction of the USG and they know that a simple, non-fatal incident like Reid or this guy are enough to cause millions of passengers to be disrupted and hundreds of millions of dollars of damage to the US airlines and economy.

Very, very high ROI..... and this kind of stuff will continue until the US gets serious about managing risk as opposed to the knee-jerk attempts at risk elimination.
That is some straight up words of wisdom, right there.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Andy1369
Hold your horses. There's no confirmation yet from TSA. For all we know, Air Canada could have made that part up.

I still am holding firmly on the fact that I strongly doubt TSA will enact any new policies. Why? This was an international flight that happened to land in Detroit. TSA had nothing, zilch to do with the screening. Therefore, they have no say about this.
well, it wouldn't be the first time that a transportation security agency made something up now would it? as to your second point, just give it time...the tsa will find yet another way to screw up a free lunch. remember, anything for security (theatre) and to keep the kettles happy and feeling (n.b. feeling)
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
This is just unreal, especially if it also applies to US domestic flights. I always travel with two laptop bags, one for each of my computers, and if a new "one bag only" policy is enacted... maybe I'll move all my international travel across the border to Canada and see if AC will do a status match for me to fly from YVR.

In other news, I guess I should probably change my seat assignments from the bulkhead for my upcoming flights so I can keep my luggage under the seat in front of me. Uggggggh.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

Backing TK's assessment, spot-on.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
DFW TSA is reported (got a PM from a friend) to be confiscating legal size but generic containers of liquids and gels today. If you have a hotel or brand bottle of shampoo under 3 oz, it seems to be allowed; your own in an REI plastic bottle, for example, into the trash it goes.

This is, among other things, slowing down security procedures.

Looks like Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab's name will go into the history books with Richard Reid's - brainwashed but dim bulb whack job who got caught (and in this instance, apparently got severe third degree burns for a homebrew incendiary mix that merely caused him grief and a passenger pile-on.) But I do predict his effects on the average air passenger have the potential to be lasting, like Richard Reid's, as well. (Why couldn't someone substitute their Neutrogena or La Source shampoo with another, more noxious substance?)

Some sources report Abdul was on a watch list - whoops, looks like maybe that was the first screwup, as well as AMS security not managing to find the packet of powder taped to Abdul's leg, nor the liquid he added to it, nor the syringe he may have used to add it. (But, human behavioral screening a la El Al is considered to be too expensive; maybe they will just have us all fly naked in flex cuffs - that will give an entirely new flavor to security and gate screening, and is somewhat more restrictive, but it may be faster and hey, it's for security, right? )
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
So for the last hour of an international flight, the passengers and kids will have to stay seated and not be allowed to use the rest rooms! That should be interesting. I wonder how that will work out?

Let's punish the masses for the action of one whackjob from Nigeria!
How f*&king ridiculous. What fool in the Excited States thought of that one? Guess I'll be scratching the USA off my travel plans for a while.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
At the very least, we need to be prepared to survive with One Bag and no more than that. The airlines have been looking for a way to force more people to check baggage. This is the excuse!

Gate screening will mean a reduction in airport shopping for the things we can't take through the TSA checkpoint. I hate that!

It will hurt airport merchants and make our lives less comfortable.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
I believe that the rational, 100% secure response is to immediately begin deploying BDOs overseas. They would have caught this guy, no question. Of course we will want US BDOs since we obviously can't trust foreigners. We will just start shipping them off to AMS, CDG, LON,... Of course we will have to pay their housing and other costs while on assignment, so TSA is going to need a few billion more dollars.
AMS and visit the Melkweg^
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by okazon69

Just bring on Israeli-style security for everyone, but do it all at once. We'll all be "safe" and the airlines will all go "bankrupt" because so many fewer people will fly.
The last time I flew though TLV, I didn't have to remove my shoes or laptop. The same applied in BOG, another place with heavy security.

As a mileage runner, this is BAD. Will the US airlines join with AC and waive their international bag fees, or will it be one big money grab? I'm already rethinking my international journies in the next year.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by CP@YOW
New rules imposed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration also limit on-board activities by customers and crew in U.S. airspace that may adversely impact on-board service. Among other things, during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps.
Time for another edition of Spot the Security Loopholes in the Knee Jerk Reaction to close the barn door after the horse has escaped:

1. The Lagos Leg Bomber was seated during the last hour of flight. How is requiring this going to improve safety?

2. The Lagos Loonie has said he wanted to boom over US territory. All the next jihad wannabee needs to do is book NW 257 instead of NW 253. No matter what routing, AMS-MEM is over the US for at least two hours prior to landing. A whole one hour window to boom before the required sit down. Does anyone at TSA ever read airline route schedules? How about CO 33 CDG-IAH? Three hours over the US mainland. Oh my.

3. They better put urinals at each seat. A pax who has been sleeping for 6 hours TATL wakes up too late to visit the lav. One hour plus taxi plus the long run to immigration plus 30 min in the passport line = lots of yellow puddles on the floor, all of them over 3.4 ounces.

Last edited by Flaflyer; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:14 am Reason: add
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: United premier
What about the medical equipment exception? Checked luggage fees?

Can anyone yet confirm if the new one-bag rule means that you cannot have a separate bag for your medical equipment? Will Airlines waive the checked-luggage fee for a second bag for travelers currently away?

There's been a similar rule for photographers' equipment--any news on that as well? I know one semi-pro photographers who often travels with several thousand dollars in large lenses: I can only imagine trying to keep those safe from thieves and damage within checked luggage.

My usual on-board luggage (when also having checked) is two small soft bags, one that goes under the seat, and one overhead. This new rule implies I should get one bag that's right at the max size.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.