Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadian SF author beaten at US border at Port Huron

Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM

Draw your own conclusions:

http://io9.com/5424502/sf-writer-pet...anadian-border
http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=932

Edit... and the forum won't let me correct the spelling of border in the subject. Ah, well.

Last edited by scoow; Dec 12, 2009 at 7:26 am Reason: Moderators can correct spelling in titles.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:24 am

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
Since when does the US Border Patrol stop vehicles leaving the US? The only person/search I've ever dealt with was going into Canada by the Canadians.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: SSSSS
DHSS has long been requiring anyone leaving the country by air to obtain exit visas. They do not call what it requires exit visas by name, but in essence, this is what it is. Just like Ethiopia, Uganda and a myriad of other progressive countries.

If you buy an outbound international ticket, the airline enters your information onto a computer called APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System). dhS expanded this to private aircraft in May, and it appears they have, in at least this instance expanded the outbound search to foreign nationals in Port Huron/Sarnia crossing.

Napolitano stated at one time that she intends to carry this to private boats as well, but I've heard nothing much since.

DHS has on at least two occasions in Long Beach California met departing private flights with armed police and ordered pilots and passengers to disembark at gunpoint in what has been described as a "military style" felony arrest. The pilots and passengers were ultimately allowed to go on their way. The word on the street is that they also similarly harrassed a domestic private flight from TX to CA.

Beware of the GrenzPolizei.

------
References:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/in...cilities/apis/
Baja Bush Pilots: check the main page text and eAPIS FAQs

Last edited by greentips; Dec 12, 2009 at 1:10 pm Reason: added references
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Author Dr Peter Watts Beaten, Arrested by CPB

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/11...tts-canad.html
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the piss-poorest account of an event I have ever seen. It leaves out any and all useful details.

to this author for wasting everyone's time with half a story. What a moron.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Port Huron Times-Herald Account

Port Huron Times Herald

This article originally had him coming into the US for inspection from Canada. The latest revision states,
Customs periodically stops Canada-bound vehicles and inspects them before they cross into Ontario, Smith said.

Watts’ direction of travel was incorrect in this story earlier today.
The border is a constitution free zone. Both directions.

Until this year, I have never, ever known of anyone departing the US ever inspected for outbound customs. Anyone else ever have this happen?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:50 pm
KCK

They have increased the checks of vehicles going into Mexico. They are looking for guns and money.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by greentips
Until this year, I have never, ever known of anyone departing the US ever inspected for outbound customs. Anyone else ever have this happen?
I moved to a town on the US side of the border with Canada in 2002 and crossed quite often. They were certainly doing outbound inspections as of then. There usually weren't any going on, but there were sometimes.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Here's an idea, stay in your car, be polite, and you won't be tazed and arrested. Why piss off the people who have absolute power over your situation?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:33 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Here's an idea, stay in your car, be polite, and you won't be tazed and arrested. Why piss off the people who have absolute power over your situation?

Here's an idea: when you don't know all the facts, shut up and don't pass judgment.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Ari

Here's an idea: when you don't know all the facts, shut up and don't pass judgment.
I know that it's a fact that getting out of your car at a border checkpoint is not a good idea. And I know for a fact that's what Mr. Watts decided to do.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greentips
Port Huron Times Herald

This article originally had him coming into the US for inspection from Canada. The latest revision states,

The border is a constitution free zone. Both directions.

This happened to me prior to 9/11 crossing the San Ysidro PoE to Mexico on foot. Some moron in plain clothes asked me why I was going to Mexico, I told him MYOB and the next thing I knew I was in handcuffs. Apparently the feds do have the right to question people leaving the USA. Even if you are a citizen.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 3:10 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
I know that it's a fact that getting out of your car at a border checkpoint is not a good idea. And I know for a fact that's what Mr. Watts decided to do.
You also know he wasn't polite? How do you know that?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:40 am

Now covered at The Globe and Mail.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Why would US customs be stopping outbound vehicles? I have never seen this done at any land border crossing, including the Bluewater Bridge in Pt. Huron.

You simply pay the toll on the US side, drive across and then encounter CANADIAN immigration/customs in Sarnia. Something here does not make sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.