Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
State of New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek, day one:
A minor ruckus ensued when a member of the press begin to use a hand-held audio recorder and a camera from the gallery. The TSA attorney, also in the gallery, held up a file folder to hide his face from the camera.
That's understandable... I'd be embarrassed too if I had to defend them (TSA) as well.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold

A minor ruckus ensued when a member of the press begin to use a hand-held audio recorder and a camera from the gallery.
What press organization was this person representing?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Interesting that if this has no bearing on TSA at all as some posters have claimed, that TSA sent a lawyer.

If the lawyer's as good as Francine, Phil has nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:44 pm

State of New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek, day one:

I relay the following without comment for those who were not in attendance today. I will not discuss anything that was not observable in open court.

Multiple cases were on the docket for 9am in the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court. A young man repeatedly told Judge Fitzwater that the judge was not listening to the man's story but was nonetheless fined $25 for rear-ending another vehicle while following too closely. Much confusion surrounded a case in which the defendant's translator was late and the one man who in attendance was able to translate did not understand the judge's question, "Are you the alleged victim of battery?" A few other cases were handled briefly.

Around 10am, "State of New Mexico v. Phillip Mossack" was addressed. The prosecutor immediately requested a continuance, claiming that he needed time to review a video that was provided to him by the defense attorney yesterday. The defense attorney said the video is only three minutes long, and just shows what happened during the incident. The judge said it's been over a year and asked why this only came up yesterday. Defense attorney said she only received the video this weekend, and it wasn't known to be needed until after conducting interviews of the prosecution witnesses.

A minor ruckus ensued when a member of the press begin to use a hand-held audio recorder and a camera from the gallery. The TSA attorney, also in the gallery, held up a file folder to hide his face from the camera. An Albuquerque police officer who was seemingly in the courtroom for unrelated reasons became very agitated, then approached the bench and told the judge that the man was taking photographs. The judge reminded the officer that he had stated earlier that photography of jurors was not allowed. There were no jurors in the room at the time.

The prosecutor stated that the state will call no more than eight witnesses. The defense attorney said that defense will call two.

The defense attorney requested that if the trial be continued, it resume this week, as the defendant has traveled from Seattle for the trial. Motion to continue was granted. Case will resume Thursday at 9:00 a.m. Judge Fitwater's two-week military reserve duty is to begin Monday.

Six for misdemeanors here.
Nothing to hide? Try and get a photo of him so we can put his face up on a web site such as the http://tsatyranny.com/
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:21 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Superguy
Interesting that if this has no bearing on TSA at all as some posters have claimed, that TSA sent a lawyer.

If the lawyer's as good as Francine, Phil has nothing to worry about.
Just because the TSA sent an attorney does not mean a not guilty in this case will affect TSA policy. You are missing that point. The government routinely sends attorneys to litigation where it is an interested/involved/witness party.

Again, a missdemeanor in ABQ court verus APD is not going to change the inane and feckless policies of the federal TSA.

Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
What press organization was this person representing?
I'm a freeelance travel journalist observing and reporting on the trial for my own Web site and blog and for the Identity Project (PapersPlease.org), a project of a nonprofit, charitable, 501(c)(3) educational and legal organization.

My report on today's court hearing is here.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't believe for a moment that this lawsuit will affect TSA policy at all.

However, it is an example of an honest US citizen standing up for his rights against a system which attempted to bully and harass him into giving them up.

Although it won't affect TSA policy per se, a not guilty verdict will send a powerful message that abuse of authority in any form will not be tolerated.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:00 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the TSOs are getting paid for this . . . and if so, by who? They aren't cops, going to court isn't part of their job.

Glad they wore their uniforms, though.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo
I don't believe for a moment that this lawsuit will affect TSA policy at all.
I don't see how it could: TSA policy is barely at issue at the trial, from the understanding that I have of the facts.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I don't see how it could: TSA policy is barely at issue at the trial, from the understanding that I have of the facts.
Exactly. I was responding to an earlier post from Flying Houstonian who seems to be against this lawsuit for reasons which I haven't grasped. But then again, I have not read all the posts in this thread so I don't want to speak out of turn.

Last edited by TXagogo; Dec 7, 2010 at 3:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Exactly. I was responding to an earlier post from Flying Houstonian who seems to be against this lawsuit for reasons which I haven't grasped. But then again, I have not read all the posts in this thread so I don't want to speak out of turn.
You should read FH's posts again.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Ari
I wonder if the TSOs are getting paid for this . . . and if so, by who? They aren't cops, going to court isn't part of their job.
I hope they're at least getting the same 4 hour overtime minimum that I got for appearing in court on my days off. Depends what their union negotiated for them.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I hope they're at least getting the same 4 hour overtime minimum that I got for appearing in court on my days off. Depends what their union negotiated for them.
They don't have a union that has bargaining rights.

FB
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
So basically they're at the mercy or management to compensate them for going in on their days off, or they can ask for a witness fee from the court (think my court paid $15)? I recall one FTer posted a few weeks ago that they are allowed to join a union, so guess I'm a little confused about what the purpose of joining one would be if they can't bargain for you but are allowed to represent you in workplace issues. Wouldn't being paid to go to court be a workplace issue? This was the post in regards to a labor board ruling allowing them to vote on union representation:

Originally Posted by PHLJJS
TSA employees have always been allowed to join a union and let the union represent them in workplace issues. TSA employees do not have collective bargaining rights and this vote will not change that.
Any of our TSA posters know what compensation you get if you go to court on your days off? Does it vary per airport?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I hope the employer does NOT pay them and they must attend in their own time, may make some of them reflect on how they behave towards passengers (I know this has nothing to do with the present case).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.