Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

More from Deirdre Walker: non-random random screening at BWI

Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic

This lady is my hero! She's the retired assistant Police Chief from Mont'y County MD who wrote about being repeatedly chosen for random searches.

Here's her latest essay.

Highlights:
Within a few moments, I was met by another uniformed agent, who directed me to a glass-enclosed cubicle located between the screening belts for the B gates at BWI. On my way to the cubicle, I had observed a sign indicating that travelers have the right to decline the imaging machine and request a pat-down instead. It struck me as odd that in order to really see and absorb the information posted on the sign, you would have already passed by or through the imaging machine.

At this point, I turned to look over my shoulder and observed a Caucasian woman in her late thirties or early forties standing inside the whole-body imager. I called my screeners attention to this and said. Look over there. Theres a woman in the scanner. You all picked me for a search, and then the very next person you select is a woman. Why didnt you pick a white guy? Where are all the white guys?

She replied, helpfully, We are understaffed today and we dont have enough male screeners to do pat downs. We are not allowed to do opposite sex pat-downs so we are only selecting women for secondary screening.

By this point, I was seated and she was patting down the bottom of my feet. The secondary search, more thorough than the last search I had been subjected to in Albany, but equally ineffective, was nearing completion. I said If you are only selecting women, how is that random?

She said, Youre done. You can collect your belongings, Have a nice day.
Deirdre, if you're out there, keep writing and send these articles to the NYT and WaPo. Run for office. Seriously.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
This lady is my hero! She's the retired assistant Police Chief from Mont'y County MD who wrote about being repeatedly chosen for random searches.

Here's her latest essay.

Highlights:

Deirdre, if you're out there, keep writing and send these articles to the NYT and WaPo. Run for office. Seriously.
^ ^
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's her latest essay.

Highlights:

They should make her the head of TSA. She gets it.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:07 am

Here's her latest essay.

My favorite quote from the article:

Within a few moments, I was met by another uniformed agent, who directed me to a glass-enclosed cubicle located between the screening belts for the B gates at BWI. On my way to the cubicle, I had observed a sign indicating that travelers have the right to decline the imaging machine and “request” a pat-down instead. It struck me as odd that in order to really see and absorb the information posted on the sign, you would have already passed by or through the imaging machine.
Are you watching, Bob?

~~ Irish

Last edited by IrishDoesntFlyNow; Nov 10, 2009 at 6:09 am Reason: close a tag
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
Are you watching, Bob? ~~ Irish
Of course I am.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:28 am

Yea Bob!!!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I think she needs a TK t-shirt too.

So much for BWI using "random" strip search/patdowns.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
I think she needs a TK t-shirt too.

So much for BWI using "random" strip search/patdowns.
Next MR, try picking out the female-only strip search line while you wear the tee shirt and see what happens...

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Nov 10, 2009 at 12:27 pm
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
My favorite quote from the article:

Are you watching, Bob?

~~ Irish
Originally Posted by TSA Bob
Of course I am.
I thought there was a FTer with the handle "Blogger Bob." Are he and TSA Bob two different people?

Mike
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course I am.
Well then, when is the new Ice Policy going to be posted?

And not the one for special needs travelers.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Of course I am.
And???

Deirdre Walker claims that she is repeatedly chosen for "random" screening and postulates that it is because she looks compliant. She claims that the signage at BWI is in a completely inadequate position to do what it's supposed to do: inform people of their options before the machine. She further claims that BWI were only selecting women for "random" screening because only women screeners were available.

Do you have anything to say in reply other than "Of course I am."
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:27 am

And???

Deirdre Walker claims that she is repeatedly chosen for "random" screening and postulates that it is because she looks compliant. She claims that the signage at BWI is in a completely inadequate position to do what it's supposed to do: inform people of their options before the machine. She further claims that BWI were only selecting women for "random" screening because only women screeners were available.

Do you have anything to say in reply other than "Of course I am."
He has to formulate a response, send it to his superiors, legal and SSI monitors, get them to sign off on it and then he can answer.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
He has to formulate a response, send it to his superiors, legal and SSI monitors, get them to sign off on it and then he can answer.
And the response will be, as it has in the past, that every last WBI machine is properly and clearly signposted and that every passenger is clearly offered a choice and that TSA is doing it all perfectly. Or, more likely, he'll just ignore it and move on to another puppy post.

Sorry, TK, but I don't have the faith in BB that you do.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Nov 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
And the response will be, at it has in the past, that every last WBI machine is properly and clearly signposted and that every passenger is clearly offered a choice and that TSA is doing it all perfectly. Or, more likely, he'll just ignore it and move on to another puppy post.

Sorry, TK, but I don't have the faith in BB that you do.
No faith in BB = no faith in TSA
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Italy98
No faith in BB = no faith in TSA
I've got faith in TSA. I faithfully believe that they could screw up an anvil with just a ball point pen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.