Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Men traveling liquid free

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Post Men traveling liquid free

I have my liquids trimmed down pretty neatly but a 311 bag is still needed. Not that it's a huge hassle because it takes about five seconds to pull it out and put it bag, but just for the sake of perfectionism how would you approach liquid free travel.

Deodorant - No problem. I use a crystal deo. Literally hard as rock.
Shaving - In reality I use shaving oil but could use soap.
Toothpaste - In reality I use ordinary paste but could use powder on the road.
Cologne - In reality I use samples or small bottles but could use dry colognes.
Shampoo - I use whatever the hotel has.
Moisturizer - see above but some places I go I need to bring my own. Is there dry moisturizer?
Hair Gel - A real problem. Anything suitable is at least waxy or pomade consistency. Hotels don't supply it. I use my own mix in a Gotoob.

So, dry hair gel and dry moisturizer (for after the shave) are the things that are holding me back. At the end it may come down to hair gel. While I don't have much hair left, the little there is looks even worse without some "restraining order" against it.
As far as the moisturizer is concerned, if I use the shave oil I don't need any. But the oil is a liquid. If I use the soap I do need it. And I kinda prefer to use my own.

How do you gents do it? Entirely liquid free? If so, how do you manage? Half'n'half? No concern because once you got a 311 you might as well make no compromise on the rest? Buy it there?

Till
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat
Just Made the Switch

I've been using crystal deodorant for about two weeks now and am loving it. It doesn't last quite as long as the chemical based stuff but that's not a huge deal. The sticks sold in the drug stores are WAY too heavy but I found a few retailers on amazon who sell the 1.0 oz travel size that would appear from Crystal's website to be discontinued. I just pack the naked rock in my 311 bag (TB 3D cube).

Tooth powder is ecodent but again 2.0 oz is enough for 200 brushes and so is overly heavy and bulky to carry for 1-2 week trips. I emptied out a little 0.5 oz. hotel moisturizer bottle and put 0.5 oz of powder in there.

I use the little Listerine strips for mouth wash since I can't stand skipping it and they weigh virtually nothing.

25% of a puck of shave soap wrapped in Al foil replaced my shaving cream and is FAR superior to hotel soap bars.

I don't use hair gel or moisturizer so I've got no help for you there but I figured I'd reply to share my liquidless strategy with others who might be lurking. My toiletry kit + medicine cabinet fits with room to spare in my Tom Bihn 3D cube and the whole shooting match weighs in at 10 ounces. The only real way I can shave more mass now would be to slice my crystal deo in half but that would only save me 0.5 oz.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tfar
Moisturizer - see above but some places I go I need to bring my own. Is there dry moisturizer?
An unintended oxymoron, perhaps?

How do you gents do it? Entirely liquid free? If so, how do you manage? Half'n'half? No concern because once you got a 311 you might as well make no compromise on the rest? Buy it there?
I reduced my liquids down to the bare essentials, which are a small sprizter for
hair spray, a tiny cologne sample, small toothpaste tube, and clothes detergent. I've bought shave oil and like it but for the next few trips am using up my hard Mennen shave soap I bought in N.Z. a while back, though I've tried and will not use regular hotel soap ever again as it made by whole face & neck blotchy and red and sensitive.

I travel light but there are some extremes I'm just not prepared to go to and going liquid free isn't going to happen for me.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I bring only toothpaste, face wash and moisturizer. That's all I need.

If on a MR then I am liquid-free, only bring a single use toothbrush like the old "brush-ups."
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:21 am

I take a bar of soap(Olive Oil lately) for bathing/shampoo/shaving, Lavelin(long lasting deodarant), a hand cream.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I keep a very large selection of small packages of products for visitors who might need something during a trip. Single use toothbrushes by the dozens. I think the brand is Wisp. All sorts of small soaps, shaving items, shampoos and first air items. Even small sewing kits.

People coming off travel add items from amenity kits.

I also keep a supply of zipper containers who those who need to gather up a whole kit of items.

Am I popular or what with travelers?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:42 am

I have my liquids trimmed down pretty neatly but a 311 bag is still needed.

[...]

Toothpaste - In reality I use ordinary paste but could use powder on the road.
Hi Till,

not to pull a rug, but if this one is coming true, than your solution wouldn't reallly work either:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-powders.html

I like the idea of traveling light and personally I try to trim down as much as possible but I also think the idea of changing my lifestyle too much for the sake of getting on to the plane without being molested by the TSA is not appealing.

I really wrestle with the question of how much I should allow the security paranoia to influence my travel. Don't get me wrong I'm not one of the people who is deliberately provoking the TSA but I don't do anything wrong, I don't do anyone any harm and all I want is to travel by plane. So how much humiliation am I supposed to take from the TSA?

Ok, back to your question: My typical stumbling block would be the insect repellent and then the fact that if you travel places where the your tab water is not safe the dealing with powders etc. is much more of a hazzle so that the more of my stuff I can use 'out of the bottle' the better.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Are there any decent tooth powders (fluoridated and tartar controlling)?

It also occurs to me that powder shampoo ought to be possible since the essence is soap.

Traveling liquid free would be nice.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
When traveling with mrs. gleff, I travel virtually liquid free -- and she fills up my freedom baggie in addition to her own
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:41 pm
GRD

Programs: DL MM, AA Plt, WN
Till, is your concern traveling lighter or not having to hassle with a 311 bag at the security check? If the latter, this definitely falls under a YMMV warning… I have been traveling with a small 311 bag (shave oil, toothpaste, and hair gel), but have not been removing it from my suit case (a 15 year old Tumi 2-Zip soft side shoulder bag). I keep it in the outside pocket. In over 30 trips I’ve taken in the last year or so not removing it, I’ve not once been asked to take it out and rescan.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I keep a very large selection of small packages of products for visitors who might need something during a trip. Single use toothbrushes by the dozens. I think the brand is Wisp. All sorts of small soaps, shaving items, shampoos and first air items. Even small sewing kits.

People coming off travel add items from amenity kits.

I also keep a supply of zipper containers who those who need to gather up a whole kit of items.

Am I popular or what with travelers?
I do the exact same thing! My guests love me!

Till
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GRD
Till, is your concern traveling lighter or not having to hassle with a 311 bag at the security check? If the latter, this definitely falls under a YMMV warning… I have been traveling with a small 311 bag (shave oil, toothpaste, and hair gel), but have not been removing it from my suit case (a 15 year old Tumi 2-Zip soft side shoulder bag). I keep it in the outside pocket. In over 30 trips I’ve taken in the last year or so not removing it, I’ve not once been asked to take it out and rescan.
I am already traveling light but something always goes, as we say in German, meaning a little bit more is always possible.

The main idea would be to not have to take out a 311 bag anymore. I have heard of other travelers who rarely if ever take it out and rarely if ever get molested for it. In principle, it is not even a huge hassle to take it out. So, as I said in my OP, in a way this question is coming from a sportsman spirit who likes a challenge.

I also agree with Sebastian very much that the TSA is a master in making your life harder just to make it easier. And I really don't like that! I almost think that a little civil disobedience or sabotage is called for. Anything that makes their job harder and shows them how futile it is is good. Unfortunately, this means also a little sacrifice on our side, mostly in time and hassle. And there is collateral damage in the other passengers that our planned antics would keep waiting longer.

The 311 bag is actually a good way to create some interference. For example you could pull out two baggies and put them both in a tray. Their first reaction will be that only one is allowed. So they will look at both more carefully and see that only one contains liquids and the other contains razor, brush etc. They will then gladly tell you about your mistake but they cannot do anything to you. As efficient as they are that will tie up at least two agents for 30 seconds.
Or, even more evil, you "accidentally" pull out the wrong bag and a similar scenario will unfold.

I will try the not taking it out method and report back.

But just for the challenge is there "dry moisturizer" (lovely oxymoron, I know)?
Is there a dry alternative for hair gel?

Savon de Marseille, or olive soap, can indeed be used for washing hair, body, clothes and shaving. It is hard and usually comes in big blocks that can be cut to size. Not cheap as far as soap goes but much less than many other things.

There is also a liquid product called Camp Suds that can be universally used. Though I might not use it for shaving. Nivea has a new shower gel out that they say also works as shaving foam.

Kingalien, what do you shave with? Are these really the only products you take? Do you shave electric? The moisturizer does you in as far as liquids go. Otherwise, I find the Neutrogena facial bar works well as a soap and face wash.

Thanks for the many answers so far!

Till
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I just pack my colognes and deodorant. Most everything else the hotel has. I haven't had a problem yet.

I check in, ask for toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream and anything that is missing (ie lotion) in the room. If you have small items, that have no metal, put the liquid in ur pant pocket. Its not detected. Ive put my hand sanitizer and small bottles of cologne in my pocket before.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
we think alike!

I do the exact same thing! My guests love me!

Till
That's why we get along so well!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp
I just pack my colognes and deodorant. Most everything else the hotel has. I haven't had a problem yet.

I check in, ask for toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream and anything that is missing (ie lotion) in the room. If you have small items, that have no metal, put the liquid in ur pant pocket. Its not detected. Ive put my hand sanitizer and small bottles of cologne in my pocket before.
Hm, that's a good idea. I have tried that with stuff like lip balm and nasal spray before. Never had any problems. So I guess I just could put my 1.2oz hair gel gotoob and my 0.5oz shave oil in my pocket.

I wonder if they would give you a hard time for "artfully concealed" stuff. I mean carrying hairgel and shave oil in your trouser pockets is obviously a way to circumvent the 311 rule. Kind of hard to talk your way out of that.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.