Travel Fan

Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Travel Fan

I find I sleep much better when I have a fan going. I had a fairly small fan I would take with me, it was a squarish thing that was not too deep, I think 9"? Problem is I can no longer locate the same thing.

Does anyone else travel with a fan? Any recommendations on a good one? I would love to find one that worked on batteries, but the only battery operated ones I found either didn't work worth a darn or you had to buy 8 batteries just to make it work. So I am resigned to the fact that I will probably need to plug it in. Therefor, since many hotels dont have accessible plugs except on the other side of the room, I am interested in something that is capable of decent throw.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:02 pm

Traveling with a fan. Hm, never thought of it. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble. Where are you mostly traveling? If it's any place that experience hot summers, they might have a fan at the hotel. I'd check with the hotel if they can provide you a fan. Since it's important, maybe you can already ask just before you make the reservation.

Is it the noise or the air current that makes you sleep better? Any chance to get rid of that habit? I once got into a habit where I needed to listen to music for half an hour in bed or I could not fall asleep. This was before CD's and timers in the age of vinyl records. So I even had to get up and turn the player off and all. Took me a year to get rid of that habit.

Till
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:55 pm

Depending on the space you want to devote to it, you could go with a tower type fan. Such as:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSMZ3383

According to the description, it's only 5 x 5.5 x 12.25" About the size of having a bottle of wine in your bag, I'm guessing.

Even smaller, though oddly shaped is: http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Flippi...2267025&sr=1-1

At only 5.1 x 5.1 x 3.5 inches and 2 pounds, it might be a possibility as well.

Good luck.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
Aren't there fans you can plug into a USB port on a laptop? That would be very easy to travel with.

Edit: although I doubt it would have a lot of power like the OP wants.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:28 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
AH... another person like me....

I honestly cannot sleep without a fan..... for me it is mostly the noise... but I also like the breeze.

I found a battery operated fan at CVS two weekends ago. It uses one "D" battery.... and that works for roughly 10 hours on one battery. It was pretty strong. Unfortunately, I cannot find it on their website. You may want to drop in your nearest store.

It was about 6 inches high.... and diameter slightly larger than a "D" battery. It had a blue sleeve that was removable to insert the battery.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by tfar
Traveling with a fan. Hm, never thought of it. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble. Where are you mostly traveling? If it's any place that experience hot summers, they might have a fan at the hotel. I'd check with the hotel if they can provide you a fan. Since it's important, maybe you can already ask just before you make the reservation.

Is it the noise or the air current that makes you sleep better? Any chance to get rid of that habit? I once got into a habit where I needed to listen to music for half an hour in bed or I could not fall asleep. This was before CD's and timers in the age of vinyl records. So I even had to get up and turn the player off and all. Took me a year to get rid of that habit.

Till
Although I really do enjoy the white noise, for me it is the moving air. It does not have to be blowing directly on me, just over me. Then again, I find I have to turn the temp way down when I sleep anyways.

If I traveled once in a great moon I would ask the hotel, or even just seek out one with ceiling fans. But I usually travel at least once or twice a month all over the country, so I want something I can keep in my suitcase.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Hello from someone else thats rather addicted to having moving air in the room at night. I have this fan on my nightstand & it maybe wouldnt be too overly difficult to travel with - depending on how you pack. Lasko 4000 Stik Ultra-Slim Oscillating Fan

O2-Cool makes a line of "folding" fans that can be operated by either ac power or batteries. We have a few of them up at our cabin, but in looking for a link, I found a 10" version that's rechargable (which is very cool): O2Cool 1038 Smart-Rechargeable Swivel Fan

If rechargeable is a bit out of price range, don't overlook the option of packing a standard household extension cord to get the fan on the nightstand where you need it (as well as your phone charger as well for that matter! )

Last edited by antlass; Sep 13, 2009 at 7:20 pm
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:56 pm

I use a Vornado Zippi at home for the past several years and bought a couple extra ones recently to leave at places that do not have a/c, like my parents.
http://www.vornado.com/CategoryDetai...20Circulators&

BillJ
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:15 am

I love to sleep with a fan going. However, I don't use one when I go on vacation. I have to have one when I am at home running year round. So I always keep the ceiling fan on high. Just something about falling to sleep with the noise the fan makes when running.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:08 pm

Cloudship - did you ever find a travel fan? I'm in the same boat. I can usually manage to snag a fan from housekeeping when staying at hotels, but recently I've been staying at places that don't have fans. I've tried using the Ambiance sounds app on my iPhone (which has sounds that mimic an oscillating fan), but I've found it's not just the noise that helps me sleep. I definitely need the moving air.

I found this one on Amazon and it looks like it will pack flat. The reviews are somewhat mixed though. Has anyone used this one?

http://www.amazon.com/1078-Outdoor-B...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.