Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Travel With Jewelry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Best Way to Travel With Jewelry

I usually travel with a small amount of jewelry that I wear daily. Nothing too expensive, but I do like to keep it safe, especially in the airport. Right now, I usually carry two or three small velvet pouches that fit in my purse. I'm looking for something that could also hold a necklace and a watch without creating the dreaded jewelry knot.

I'm considering this Victorinox case http://www.swissarmy.com/TravelGear/...duct=30330201& Anyone have experience with it or something similar?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:49 pm

There is only one rather safe way to travel with jewelry: Wear it!

I am not kidding you. It is way too easy for TSA to swipe a little baggie that contains obviously jewelry. First they see it on the x-ray, then they tell you that they need to rescan your bag for whatever and carry it out of your sight, you being already behind the metal detector. Putting it in checked luggage is obviously a total no-no.

I have had a nice watch stolen myself in FRA about 15 years ago from a checked bag.

If you wear it daily, wear it also for the flight. If you bring and extra watch, you have a second hand to put it on (at least I hope so ). An extra necklace goes around the neck. All rings on your fingers. Earrings in ears. An extra pair of earrings or an odd ring can go in your wallets coin purse where they will stay with you.

Unless you are wearing a massive gold anchor chain the metal detector will not alarm. Watches you might have to take off.

If you are afraid of looking a bit strange just wear the pieces under a sweater.

If you still want to look for jewelry cases and etuis there are dozens on amazon but I'd really, really recommend against separating yourself from your valuable belongings. You are the judge of how much you can afford to lose and whether you want the insurance and police report trouble on top of the grief.

Till
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Checking in jewellry is a BIG no-no.

Personally, I haven't had any problems putting it in my carry-on. I always check my carry-on as soon as I've cleared the metal detector.

To be clear, I have a special watch carrying case. It's pretty noticeable.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:03 pm

Not that I'm an expert in traveling with Jewleries but I think the bag looks nice. I would try to click it into the key ring hook most bags have (or try to find a place where you can tie it to) - then the screeners can't take it out just like this (unless they cut the cord which would require quite some quick action)

Regarding checking valuables, that should be a no brainer: Be it "Thiefrow", JFK or many other airports - I heard so many horror stories I personally wouldn't risk it.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:19 pm

I really like the idea of hooking the baggie to a key ring or something n the bag but would still advise against having an extra bag with valuables. It attracts too much attention, is to easy to swipe and if they get the case they get everything.

Till
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I NEVER check jewelry and I have no intention of starting.

For various reasons, I don't consider wearing everything a valid option.

I really like the key ring attachment option, so I'm going with that one.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I have taken the opposite route - I've found a (relatively) cheap string of really good looking cultured pearls and I wear them with everything. Pearls can go anywhere.

I use a Tom Bihn Clear Organiser Wallet if I don't wear them - it has just the right padding to protect them.

Audrey
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:36 am

At least..

.. don't leave it at home :-)

I cared too much about what to take with me, thinking that at home everything might be safer - and then, I got robbed at home while I travelled 4 weeks ins France and Spain.

Nowadays, I prefere taking things with me instead of leaving them at home

So, if you have jewerly, just wear it - I was too afraid of wearing my necklaces and now, I can not even wear them anymore because I do not have them anymore ! - And speaking of insurance, this was just a mess
And just in case: check the details in your insurance, maybe you are not well insured ... and this not even on a vacation..

Good luck to you and have a nice vacation wearing all the beautiful jewelry

As for packing, I would not recommend putting everything together and I would not recommend the hotel safe nor the baggage room - even in a 5* I once "lost" something and never got it back.

The idea of "security" is just nice, in reality, it does not exist.

Last edited by bluebird09; Sep 14, 2009 at 5:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.