Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Maintenance Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Luggage Maintenance Tips

I thought I'd ask the bagaholics on this site whether they have any maintenance or cleaning tips for luggage.

I'll start with some of my own.

1. Make sure if and what kind of coating your bag has on the outside. My Travelpro Plat5 specifically said in the maintenance instructions not to use anything else than water because other cleaners might take of the water resistant coating.

2. A little vinegar in water will otherwise do the trick for the inside and the outside.

3. Some of my bags don't get used often and catch dust, others catch dust by being used. I take the vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment to dust them off. Works great.

4. A drop of oil (even on synthetic zippers) on zippers and carabiners makes them work smoother.

5. Leather applications get a little clear shoe wax from time to time (once a year maybe).

What do you do or perhaps not do for various reasons?

Till
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:16 pm

Outer case and/or Armorall

1. For check in Hartmann luggage, I use Carry Rite Travel Bag outer case, which gets wiped with damp cloth upon reaching hotel or home.

2. For leather, rubber, plastic, non-fabric materials, I just use the Armorall automobile products cleaner and polisher products to clean, soften, and polish. The fabric stays clean because of the outer case.

3. For hand carry luggage, they stay clean because of my care in carrying and storing them. I would wipe wheels and oil the bearings if squeaky.

I'm not a bagaholic; just a clean and neat freak.

Till, I've always wondered how many luggage and travel bags you have? Have you ever counted your stock? I have one backpack, one Antler backpack with wheels, 3 Hartmann's pull-alongs (like a dog on a leash), one softside duffel type wheeled bag by Dessai of Italy, one Lark adjustable standup wheeled, one Samsonite shoulder, one Converse cylinder, 4 computer, one Lacoste foldable, 3 other assorted shoulder, and about 5 small waist or shoulder hanging bags. About 22 in all, not including tennis/racquet bags, with the bags split pretty much evenly between homes in Bangkok and Hong Kong.

Last edited by tangoll; Jul 31, 2009 at 10:12 pm
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangoll
1. For check in Hartmann luggage, I use Carry Rite Travel Bag outer case, which gets wiped with damp cloth upon reaching hotel or home.

2. For leather, rubber, plastic, non-fabric materials, I just use the Armorall automobile products cleaner and polisher products to clean, soften, and polish. The fabric stays clean because of the outer case.

3. For hand carry luggage, they stay clean because of my care in carrying and storing them. I would wipe wheels and oil the bearings if squeaky.

I'm not a bagaholic; just a clean and neat freak.

Till, I've always wondered how many luggage and travel bags you have? Have you ever counted your stock? I have one backpack, one Antler backpack with wheels, 3 Hartmann's pull-alongs (like a dog on a leash), one softside duffel type wheeled bag by Dessai of Italy, one Lark adjustable standup wheeled, one Samsonite shoulder, one Converse cylinder, 4 computer, one Lacoste foldable, 3 other assorted shoulder, and about 5 small waist or shoulder hanging bags. About 22 in all, not including tennis/racquet bags, with the bags split pretty much evenly between homes in Bangkok and Hong Kong.
Tangoll, thanks for the tips. So you use Armorall also on the leather parts? Hm, I wouldn't have thought of that. For the car I use Meguiar's gold cream or Zaino Leather in a bottle. I have used the Meguiar's Gold already on a piece I inherited from my grandpa with good results.

Actually the other day my girlfriend prompted me to count my bags. She said: you are worse than a woman. What an insult! I think we came to around 24 or so and there might be some I forget. The bags are not all in one place, like yours. Some I don't use for years and then very intensively. Let's see:

Big cases and bags:
1 Mandarina Duck Tank series super large suitcase (on its way down the hill)
1 Valoroso 28" Pullman (replacement for the MD above)
1 Rimowa 32 Multiwheel trolley
1 Travelpro Plat5 22" roller
1 Valoroso 22" tri-fold rolling garment bag
1 Samsonite Pro-DLX bi-fold rolling garment bag (check-in, it's about 24-26")
1 Eagle Creek 36" Super ORV trunk
1 VauDe (German outdoor brand) touring backpack

Handcarried or small backpack:
1 Valoroso 4 pocket duffel 25"
1 Valoroso 6 pocket tote 18"
1 Bree duffel (probably around 30")
1 Pathfinder TX 2 carry-on bag
1 Easygoing carry-on bag
1 Briggs Riley 235x carry-on (see me review for the last three)
1 Mandarina Duck Pilot carry-on (similar to Tom Bihn Aeronaut but shoulder carry only)
1 Bobblbee backpack
1 a leather shirt carrier hardcase with moiree lining from Madler in Zurich (grandpa, le comble du chic!)

Briefcases and Messenger bags:
1 Goldpfeil leather portofolio (grandpa's bag, used it daily for some time but now give it some rest)
1 Tumi 26141 (the mother of all nylon briefcases, love it)
1 Briggs Riley BB107 (used as daybag and office briefcase, love it, too)
1 Piquadro shoulder briefcase (brown leather and nylon, very stylish, used daily for five years. Has some stains by the way which I still need to attack)
1 Tenba messenger satchel small in burnt orange (excellent and very versatile messenger with computer compartment and removable photo insert)
1 ribbed rubber (don't laugh) grey portfolio. No idea of brand but the thing is quite stylish, though I haven't used it in ages.
1 alu briefcase (looks quite exactly like Zero but is made in China and I got it at goodwill for $5)

Photo bags:
1 Tenba D-12 (fantastic medium size photo bag)
1 Kieselbags MX-600 (the huge model, fits practically all my gear plus computer)
1 Tamrac small reporter bag (bought for $2 or 3 at goodwill almost new)

So that's 27. I am not counting a Pelican case I custom fitted for pipes and cigars on the road (very swell), diverse foldable backpacks and duffles (totes, Kiva, Invicta) and old black and neon pink skateboarder backpack that I might wear for skiing with my 80's ski anorak.

You see, maintenance is a necessary question. I think I have enough luggage for a lifetime and for any occasion. What I would be thrilled to own would be nice saddle leather luggage. Mulholland Bros. or one of the English brands would be nice. Maybe when I'm 50 I can afford that. I think there is also a thread on how much luggage the bag freaks on here own. I don't believe I have the biggest collection even.

Till
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by tangoll
Actually, the general consensus for car nuts is that Armorall shouldn't even be used for cars.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:12 pm

Probably not a necessary reminder for this board, but after having friends delayed a couple of weeks ago on a departing cruise...

Remember that you should not store your luggage with your gardening or cleaning supplies. Fertilizer, ammonia, etc. = bad.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OffToOz
Probably not a necessary reminder for this board, but after having friends delayed a couple of weeks ago on a departing cruise...

Remember that you should not store your luggage with your gardening or cleaning supplies. Fertilizer, ammonia, etc. = bad.
Not that it would ever even come to my mind but what happened to them? Did the bags just stink, were they soiled, did the chemicals eat through the bag material?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Not that it would ever even come to my mind but what happened to them? Did the bags just stink, were they soiled, did the chemicals eat through the bag material?
Trigger explosives detector?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quan98
Trigger explosives detector?
Very smart, Quan. I would have never thought of that. ^ I guess this is a really good tip then!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Thanks so much for the storage warning!!!! I keep my checkable bags in the garage....ooops.

I use soap and water to carefully clean by bags and never soak them.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by tfar
The dog hit on them at the port, so the entire terminal was evacuated while the owner's of the luggage were rounded up and everything was inspected.

I believe certain fertilizers will also set off the "swab test" that some smaller airport TSAs use as primary screening.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by OffToOz
I believe certain fertilizers will also set off the "swab test" that some smaller airport TSAs use as primary screening.
Yes, I've personally seen that happen. Not to me, but my poor travelling companion.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
It is easy enough to cover your bags in plastic while storing them. The kind that come with mattresses would be best, but even large yard trash bags will keep out dirt, fertilizers, oil, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aktchi
It is easy enough to cover your bags in plastic while storing them. The kind that come with mattresses would be best, but even large yard trash bags will keep out dirt, fertilizers, oil, etc.
Good idea. With some of the bags I actually do that. Others I keep in a box. For example my three carry-on shoulder bags are all in one box and then covered with plastic (faster to open then scotch tape on the box lid). For big suitcases you could cut open a large garbage bag. My briefcases are not in bags but just in a closet so they do catch a little dust. The vacuum cleaner methods works great for that. Don't try to dust them off with a wet cloth, if they are fabric - for leather that's good. On fabric/nylon this will only create dust bunnies. Use the vacuum.

Till
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:33 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old tread. A newbie here.

Any advice as to how to clean ballistic nylon? (Tumi?) I bought Tumi's Ballistic Nylon cleaner (in a spray bottle) but it is really expensive and I am not sure how much more effective it is than plain water. Is it possible to dry-clean ballistic nylon luggage?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:37 pm

Hi...

Here is a list of some tips that you need to know in caring for your luggage bags according to the materials they are made of.
1. Leather- Never use solutions that are usually treated on nylon-based or polyester-based materials. Even if these solutions initiate resistance on water, stain, and dirt, it may create some chemical reactions on the leather and will only destroy its natural look.
2. Always use mild soaps
3. Use solutions that will restore water-resistant attributes
4. Read the instructions before using any chemical solutions
5. Use lacquer or nail polish for some nice touch-ups
6. Never drench the luggage bag
7. Be wary on the kinds of brushes to be used

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.