Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hats for the male traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Hats for the male traveler?

I'd like to get some recommendations on hats for the male traveler. Tilly and Australian hats are out. The hat or hats should have several functions:

- protect my balding head from the elements
- look reasonably elegant and not too nerdy (see above)
- be stowable.

Of course, I am considering the various Kangol options and basque hats. I do wear a baseball cap in the summer for more leisurely outings but it would be nice to find something that protects me from the sun, while not being as fragile as my fine Panama hat.

For the winter, something like this would be nice:
http://www.bencraft.com/product.php?...name=Borsalino

However, many of the crushable fedoras are not very nice quality and do not have the large brim (2.5" +) that I favor for esthetic and rain reasons.

What are you covering your brilliant heads with, gentlemen?

Till
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Tilley hat that I like a lot:

(no, that's not me in the picture).

The Tilleys come in a variety of styles, including more and less elegant. You can check them out here:

http://www.tilley.com/thumbnail.asp?...ategoryId&id=1
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

PTravel, I appreciate and thank you for the suggestion and would definitely consider a Tilley for non-urban settings. However, I do mostly urban/metropolitan traveling and the Tilley look is not elegant enough for this purpose and would not go with the rest of my wardrobe.

Till
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
PTravel, I appreciate and thank you for the suggestion and would definitely consider a Tilley for non-urban settings. However, I do mostly urban/metropolitan traveling and the Tilley look is not elegant enough for this purpose and would not go with the rest of my wardrobe.

Till
I think Tilley may have some more elegant fedoras. Actually, I'd be curious to know what you find, as I'd like something less casual than the Tilley for exactly the same reason.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Yes, Tilley has one Fedora and it is not bad. It even has ear flaps which is nice for the winter.

Even Borsalino has a crushable hat but the hat freaks think it is not very good. Something like the Diamante is too fragile for travel use. It won't really spring back into shape when it gets crushed or rolled. And it's a pity to have such a nice hat and not have it in great shape.

I have an old Stetson fedora from my grandpa. The brim is not wide enough for my taste. But when I was younger and smaller I was wearing it. At one occasion I accidentally sat on it in the car for half an hour. It popped right back. Amazing!

Akubra makes a travel hat, too. Supposedly a good one. There are several models of Indiana Jones hats but that also makes the market not very transparent. I actually do have an Indy hat by German brand Mayser from the 80s. Very hardy hat just not quite as elegant as I'd like to.

Very difficult subject which is why I am looking for input from the FT'ers.

Till
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

http://www.firststreetleather.com/st...r390090-1.html

This one is quite to my liking. It is a traveler model which means it should be crushable. What I didn't find out yet is if there is a difference between crushable and rollable. Does anybody know?

I know the rollable models with a leather band actually use the leather strap to cinch the hat. That's smart. But the leather strap is still not really elegant, at least not if compared to a nice gros grain ribbon.

Till
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Well, Till, there are several nice hats for men: Stetson, Resistol, Bailey, Eddy Bros. and, of course, custom made cowboy hats. And you're even from Texas!
I admit, hard to stow on the plane, but if you've ever traveled to Las Vegas early December, you know it can be done.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skipaway
Well, Till, there are several nice hats for men: Stetson, Resistol, Bailey, Eddy Bros. and, of course, custom made cowboy hats. And you're even from Texas!
I admit, hard to stow on the plane, but if you've ever traveled to Las Vegas early December, you know it can be done.
Believe me, I got some nice hats! And one of the first things I did when I came to Texas is buy a nice Stetson for my Dad and me. It looks surprisingly good on me although I am not the cowboy type at all.

The problem is the cowboy hat is not exactly neutral outside of Texas and it is way too big and stiff to carry around. My other hats are a bit too nice to expose them to travel hardships.

I will inquire about the Borsalino I posted whether it is really travel ready.

This still leaves me with a solution for the summer months. Last summer I got quite a disagreeable sunburn on my scalp. It is not easy putting lotion there, either. Makes the remaining hair very greasy. I'll most likely end up with a Kangol 504 summer model. But my GF says it makes my head look too round.

Till
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
Believe me, I got some nice hats! And one of the first things I did when I came to Texas is buy a nice Stetson for my Dad and me. It looks surprisingly good on me although I am not the cowboy type at all.

The problem is the cowboy hat is not exactly neutral outside of Texas and it is way too big and stiff to carry around. My other hats are a bit too nice to expose them to travel hardships.

I will inquire about the Borsalino I posted whether it is really travel ready.

This still leaves me with a solution for the summer months. Last summer I got quite a disagreeable sunburn on my scalp. It is not easy putting lotion there, either. Makes the remaining hair very greasy. I'll most likely end up with a Kangol 504 summer model. But my GF says it makes my head look too round.

Till
That Borsalino does look nice, though it's a bit pricey. As for lotion, I recommend Neutregena Sunblock. It's SPF 75, blocks UV A and B and is not, in the least, greasy. It also doesn't smell like sunblock. As a former melanoma patient, I need to keep the sun off me at all costs, and this stuff does the trick.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:07 pm

I wear hats for most outdoor activities. It's just a habit I picked up in the military. I do have a couple of fedoras and a Panama, several baseball type caps, some wide-brim hats and long-bill caps with neck drapes, etc. I tend to choose the appropriate hat for whatever form/function I am engaged in.

As an example, I like the Kangol for it's packability, crushability, and quick access. As an example I recently rode from Houston to Saltillo (Mexico) on my motorcycle. The Kangol is perfect for this once the helmet comes off. It stores easily into limited packing, and covers my "helmet hair" when the helmet comes off. The Kangol is mesh, so very breathable as well.

All I need is a bota bag to complete the picture

Oh! Almost forgot. Tilley hats are great. I have a Tilley-like hat with a neck drape that I use for my Africa work.

Cheers,

M8
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
That Borsalino does look nice, though it's a bit pricey. As for lotion, I recommend Neutregena Sunblock. It's SPF 75, blocks UV A and B and is not, in the least, greasy. It also doesn't smell like sunblock. As a former melanoma patient, I need to keep the sun off me at all costs, and this stuff does the trick.
Wow! Thanks so much, PTravel. That's a great trip. I'm gonna get some tomorrow. Do you use it on your head? I don't have totally bald spots yet just very thinning spots. So it would get in touch with the hair.

Actually my GF just came in, complaining that I spend too much time here. She says that's what she uses. She is not bald!

Till
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Avios
I ordered this hat and love it!

It looks nice and is weather resistant and not too expensive!

Is also foldable, etc.

Check it out...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Just wanted to add my 2˘. I can't wear a hat - my head is large (no, not grossly big, but enough that hats balance on the top of my head) and my hair is a little on the long side.

I've been in stores around the world where strangers have seen me trying on hats in a shop and burst out laughing and then just shake their heads no. Even my Tilley, which is large, looks pretty silly on me.

I thought it would get better, but at 61 my head is just getting bigger and my hair is getting thicker - and longer. Not complaining, just a comment.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:17 pm

Personally, I rock the OR Seattle Sombrero in tan. It's waterproof and crushproof, and isn't overly dorky (In my view, but I am an engineer, so YMMV...).

My wife, on the other hand, refers to it as my birth control hat...
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brendog
Personally, I rock the OR Seattle Sombrero in tan. It's waterproof and crushproof, and isn't overly dorky (In my view, but I am an engineer, so YMMV...).

My wife, on the other hand, refers to it as my birth control hat...
Certainly an excellent real rain hat for hard downpours.

But in terms of looks as a general travel hat your wife is exactly right. Sorry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.