Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Samsonite lines at Ross

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Odd Samsonite lines at Ross

My wife's trusty Samsonite carryon finally died after 10 years of regular use, so we're looking for a new bag.

We went to Ross because they sometimes have some great deals. They have a couple of Samsonite bags there that are very well built, but I cannot find them referenced online anywhere.

The original Samsonite tags say "Toscano" for one and "Dorado" for the other. Google, Amazon, and other searches turn up nothing.

Any idea where/how/why Ross gets these Samsonite lines that no one else seems to have heard of?

Edited to add: The Toscano and Dorado lines are not mentioned on the Samsonite website, so I've written them. I even looked up the UPC code, but there's no record of that number in the UPC database.

Last edited by ziobacio; Jun 23, 2009 at 3:54 pm Reason: more info
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Expressly made for Mexico?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:59 pm

If you like the bag, just get it. My GF bought an awesome Samsonite 22 incher in red at Macy's on sale for around $70. Excellent buy. I tried to look it up online and was never able to find the model. Still it is a great suitcase and is holding up well so far except for the bright red color being very prone to getting smears and marks from the luggage handling process.

I am almost jealous of her bag. It is almost as nice as my Travelpro which was more than twice the price.

So if you like the features and quality of the bag, don't bother researching just get the darn thing. Ross and other discounters sell out super quickly and never get the same stock again.

Till
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

I should have added, yes, we bought one of the bags. A very well made 21" wheeled carry-on by Samsonite, with just the features we wanted, at a great price.

I wanted to know the manufacturer's weight/dimensions for this bag, construction material, etc. And how often is it that you find something that doesn't show up on Google, anywhere? That alone made me curious.

I'll post an update if I hear from Samsonite.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Samsonite Dorado

We bought a great Samsonite Dorado carryon roller bag at Ross. Ballistic nylon, skate wheels, just the right arrangement of pockets, light but very durable construction -- for $50. It's a great bag, very pleased with it.

I wrote Samsonite and asked, why can't I find out anything about the Dorado line on their website, or anywhere else for that matter?

I finally heard back from Samsonite: "The Dorado series is an exclusive to the Ross stores." I can't say I'm any less confused.

In any event, Ross is a great place to buy luggage. We later saw a Delsey Helium Breeze 21" roller bag for $45.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
T J Maxx is great as well!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by ziobacio
I wrote Samsonite and asked, why can't I find out anything about the Dorado line on their website, or anywhere else for that matter?

I finally heard back from Samsonite: "The Dorado series is an exclusive to the Ross stores." I can't say I'm any less confused.
A SOP for many stores with outlets - build product just for "outlet" sales. Of course, with the intended implications.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:57 pm

I even saw the upscale leather tumi business luggage line at Ross, last time I was there. They were marked down from an average $1750 to $950 ... still a bit out of my range but they were very nice looking.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by niele
I even saw the upscale leather tumi business luggage line at Ross, last time I was there. They were marked down from an average $1750 to $950 ... still a bit out of my range but they were very nice looking.
Wow, $1750 for a case in the business line? I just checked the Tumi website with all their leather cases. The most expensive one is the Townhouse Esmond Satchel for $795. Maybe those prices were artificially marked up. Tell the customer that the item was $1750, mark it down to $950, when in reality the most expensive item is $800. Very dishonest business practice if those were the prices they had marked.

Buyer beware. Always inform yourself of the price range before you buy a high ticket item. Don't assume that just because it's an outlet store you are getting a great deal.

Till
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:09 pm

I couldn't believe it myself, but as you recommended tfar, buyer beware at all times.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:22 pm

Glad I found this thread; I bought a "Toscani" from Ross today and couldn't find any information about it. It looks like it's one of those custom-made for Ross.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:45 pm

What a great thread. I found it because I, too, was googling some of the Ross Samsonite lines.

I would love any feedback on if your Ross Samsonite luggage held up or you think it's more cheaply made. Also do you know if it carries the same warranty as other samsonite bags (I think 10 years?).

The lines I just found at Ross are: Toscani, Parklane, and some Meadow something. I'm looking for a 25" spinner!

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Stores like Ross buy overstock merchandise. Usually the merchandise is not manufactured for Ross. If the bag works for your needs, don't worry about the warrenty. Most of the time the cost of shipping the bag in to the warrenty address exceeds the worth of a used bag.

Bags whith wheels fail most often at the wheels. Warranties generally don't cover wheels.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cant imagine if one buys luggage every 10 years why they concern themselves with the name and warranty. The stock at Ross, Maxx etc varies so often I cant see how even they keep track of it. Get Kirkland brand luggage at Costco. Its the nicest deal around for those with incomes under $1M/year.

MisterNice
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I cant imagine if one buys luggage every 10 years why they concern themselves with the name and warranty. The stock at Ross, Maxx etc varies so often I cant see how even they keep track of it. Get Kirkland brand luggage at Costco. Its the nicest deal around for those with incomes under $1M/year.

MisterNice
Costco's warranty is the best you will find for anything, anywhere. Additionally, they generally only market well made products under their own Kirkland Signature brand. There are, however, significant problems with KS luggage specifically. First, the 22" roll-aboard is known to actually measure 23.5 inches high. That will create major problems anywhere they ask to measure your bag. Second, KS luggage tends to be heavy for its size, which creates problems both in Europe, where there are limitations on the specific weight of carry-on luggage, and when people want to check bags and are limited to 50 pounds or 20 kilos. If the bag already weighs 20 pounds, you have significantly limited what you can carry without being extorted by the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.