Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Color?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Luggage Color?

Does the color of your luggage, carry on, etc.. have any importance to you?

I always try to avoid black, red, and navy blue. I've managed to drive myself pretty much batty searching for another bag to compliment my recent find of a deep jewel tone blue-green with khakis blocks/accents. It's not quite teal, not aquamarine, not emerald.. It's rather frustrating. And what will go well jewel-tone blue-green and khaki?

I had seemingly managed to play the color odds well with my old carry on but eventually size restrictions caught up with me and I had to check it. That same trip, an identical bag (seriously, who else has luggage that is deep burgundy rose with slate grey?) popped out onto carousel and the other bag-owner actually tried to leave with my bag.

So, does the color matter? What color is/are your bag(s)?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
In Europe black is the univeral colour of business. In light of that, I went with Brown.

It's still business-like, but is a bit more attractive. I've been able to pretty much get a full set of luggage in similar brown colours (mainly from Mandarina Duck), and they go well with accessories like a tan passport holder from Smythson in London.

Of course colour doesn't really matter, but equally first impressions do count, especially if you're in a client-facing role.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Black bores me to death and makes me feel like part of the herd. Lately my roller suitcase for short trips is a silvery color. It's tough because black doesn't show dirt or wear very much but is so boring. Lighter colors can look dirty after a while. There's nothing sadder in my mind than a dirty, scuffed bag in a Barbie color...
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Black bores me to death and makes me feel like part of the herd. Lately my roller suitcase for short trips is a silvery color. It's tough because black doesn't show dirt or wear very much but is so boring. Lighter colors can look dirty after a while. There's nothing sadder in my mind than a dirty, scuffed bag in a Barbie color...
I was going to buy a bag in a nearly metallic silver color (it's fabric, not a hard side plastic) until I looked up reviews and every one of them said that it looked really bad after just one trip from normal wear/tear and dirt.

I think this emerald-sorta colored bag will wear well. I am a little worried about the lighter khaki colored panels, but if it gets really bad I can just give it a quick scrub.

I think my main problem has been that to latch/strap my carry on to the bigger bag I want something that wont make it look like barbie colors (aka: the green is subtle enough to not stand out, if properly paired). But if i strap a khaki carry on to it then it'll stand out (really, who has a khaki carry on?), pluys i cant match the green, and the accent color is black.. eww.

I guess i can do red or some other similar jewel tone. Just try not to look like "Christmas."

This is the troublesome bag style-color (no one sells its matching family online - sad day.)

Suggestions for a complimentary carry on pairing?"
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
I think this emerald-sorta colored bag will wear well. I am a little worried about the lighter khaki colored panels, but if it gets really bad I can just give it a quick scrub.
But if i strap a khaki carry on to it then it'll stand out (really, who has a khaki carry on?), pluys i cant match the green, and the accent color is black.. eww.
Suggestions for a complimentary carry on pairing?"[/QUOTE]

I think khaki will travel well, and a stiff brush or vacuum should keep it spiffy. Have you looked at redoxx.com? Lot's of colors and maybe one that will complement your green.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I love red bags, but a few international trips and my red bags looked like they had been dragged through an oil slick in the desert.

So now I'm back to black. Of course I attach tons of flyertalk tags to make it stick out.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:25 pm

I'm sensing an entrepreneurial opportunity for someone: Luggage Stylist!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:35 pm

I get comments that I look 18-22. I'm 30. Accordingly, for business, I use black. I want to blend in and get treated like everyone else and not be mistaken for someone's kid.

For travel, I just got a couple of red Delsey bags. Kinda bright. I woulda preferred their bright blue had the line I got made it.

I'm not interested in being absolutely unique. Prefer to avoid the stairs. I'd rather stand out by sticking all sorts of tags and stuff on it. I find that more fun than having a unique color combo.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:15 pm

I'm on the conservative side here. While I wear brightly colored clothes and often stand out in a crowd I'd prefer my luggage to be dark simply because it shows less stains and scuff marks. Black, dark brown, dark grey, dark blue would be my colors. The only exception I'd make is Rimowa luggage. It is made of aluminium and thus is silver anyway. They now have a gunmetal version which is even more expensive but I would prefer that to the silver actually.

If I were to pick a color it is bright or burnt orange because I love orange. Tumi had pieces in their Alpha series in a beautiful bright orange ballistic nylon last year. Apparently it was a total flop. I didn't even know they had this collection. I thought about getting some on sale but those I was able to find were not reduced and thus to expensive for me just for the sake of fashion. I already have very good and expensive luggage, so I cannot justify the price just for the different color, unfortunately.

Till
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I have a hot pink Vitronox. I find that it keeps "greedy" businessmen from grabbing it and assuming it's theres LOL! (I bought it after I had to chase a jerk through the airport because he was "taking" my luggage. He then SCEAMED at me that this was HIS suitcase and when he finally looked and saw my stuff didn't have the decency to apologize!)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've only traveled for pleasure thus far... so I don't have nor need some 'nice looking' luggage...

I've got a black Samsonite carry on that I got a few years ago for my Birthday, and a large hard bottomed Eddie Bauer roller bag, also black. Both are adorned with a myriad of luggage tags, including several from AS, QX and of course FT

I use an olive green laptop case by Victorinox - not sure why I got that color...

And to round out my collection - a large Eddie Bauer duffle... yellow with a gray bottom - makes it very easy to spot @ the luggage carousel. ^
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Curious - I travel for pleasure and a smidge of business.. why does it need to be black and formal though?

I'm not expecting to run into a meeting with my suitcase. I understand not wearing a sleeveless shirt from the 80's in hot pink to a meeting but I don't really understand why the color of your suitcase has any bearing on how "professional" one is.

Are there more business transactions taking place in the airport then I realize?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KNRG
I'm not expecting to run into a meeting with my suitcase. I understand not wearing a sleeveless shirt from the 80's in hot pink to a meeting but I don't really understand why the color of your suitcase has any bearing on how "professional" one is.
As a person in a creative industry.. I'm a photographer who works in advertising.. I have to actively stay away from what the herd does. My arch-enemies, the account people, all carry black bags.

I'll try for something that's tasteful but a little different. Unfortunately, photo equipment cases come mostly in black. My suitcase I can have a little fun with.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
bright colors = good for travel in US, Europe, developed Asia, etc because it stands out on the carousel and if it's stolen, it's easy to track down.

black = good for travelling less conspicuously, for when you need to minimize attracting attention to yourself and avoid theft.

so it depends on where and how you're travelling.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
My rolling suitcase set is a sort of metallic, deep red. (not the bright Santa Claus red). It works for work & pleasure trips.

I also have a rather blingy & girly set of eggplant purple luggage that I love.

Both are deep shades of the colors and hide scuffs quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.