Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Packing techniques? Good for 22"

Packing techniques? Good for 22"

Old May 27, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Till,
I thought I was a pretty good packer, but I have to recognize genius when I see it. You are amazing! Thanks for some great improvements.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by skipaway
Till,
I thought I was a pretty good packer, but I have to recognize genius when I see it. You are amazing! Thanks for some great improvements.
Thanks. Keep the compliments coming! Dont bother if I'm blushing.

Till
Old May 27, 2009, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
De Nada.

I am very honored my tips are actually helping out. Thank YOU!

If you have an Airboss you could try the packing technique I use for suits in my Easygoing bag, which has a very similar layout to the AB. I use the Eagle Creek shirt folder as a core for wrapping the suit around. Then I put the bundle into a compartment of the bag.

Lay the suit jacket on the bed or on a clean floor (you don't want any dust on it, of course) the front side facing you, the back side laying on the floor.

Open the suit jacket and spread the front side open so you can see the lining and the interior pockets.

Put your pants inside the jacket. Waist up. The waist band should be as far up as possible. Basically by the collar of the jacket, leaving only a little bit of leg hanging out on the bottom.

Fold the sides back again but do not button them together. Instead you want to fold them over a bit more than necessary, so that you reduce the width of the jacket evenly. Evenly means the shoulders must come in a bit, too.

Now cross the sleeves over X-style. The buttons should face up. Take care to smooth them out nicely to avoid wrinkles. This sleeve position will follow the natural lines of your suit jacket.

All of the above takes 15 seconds to do.

Last step: Put the filled shirt folder on the jacket so that the bottom edge of the folder lines up with the bottom edge of the jacket. Fold whatever hangover you have from the pants over the folder.

The suit should be not much wider than the shirt folder if you have "shrunk it" correctly. Simply roll up the suit around the folder now. Pick it up with both hands as not to unravel the package and transfer into its own compartment.

Done!

This is a great method for people who like to use unstructured bags because they are so light and practical but who still need to take formal clothing.

Till
Till,
Thanks for the courtesy of your time and efforts and submitting such a detailed explanation for packing my Air Boss! I have printed this out as I really can see the genius in this approach. I already have the Eagle Creek packing folders so I can get right to it! A thousand thanks for some great advice!

Miguel
Old May 30, 2009, 12:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There is a great podcast about packing which includes reuse of dry cleaning bags to keep clothes relatively wrinkle-free at:

http://www.manager-tools.com/2008/08...travel-packing
Old May 30, 2009, 1:02 am

Gee, that thing is 25 minutes long and the two guys really like to listen to themselves talk. The actual info could be condensed into five minutes. I must admit I wasn't able to listen to the entire thing because I found it rather annoying. If you've read this thread and others or on on other sites like OBOW or onebag the podcast is not needed. However, when you do a youtube search on packing there are some nice videos.

Till
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:44 pm

I added some clarifications for the suit packing technique (post #15) in reaction to the Contura Suiter product discussed elsewhere in this forum. This technique should give you the same result with no expenditure and a weight savings of 500gr because you don't need any extra items to use this technique.

Till
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:14 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Excellent tfar! I have finally met (albeit online) someone who can really pack!

I am mostly anti-packing folder/packing cube (and anti-suiter) and know many people who carry more weight in packing "solutions" than clothes (my own mum being one of them).

I use a modified bundle method:
The shirts and trousers will be part of the bundle wrapping and the core will be shoes, clear baggie with electronic accessories, socks and underwear wrapped & organized in their own bundles using undershirts in place of packing cubes/folders.

*Starting with pressed clothing, all buttons done up, lay shirts flat facing away from you, one stacked neatly and precisely on top of another.
* Fold the arms towards the inside of the shirt where your elbow would normally be. There will be a crease here but not that noticeable.
* Noting the interior dimensions of your case, arrange the core bundles so that the fold lines of the shirt will be slightly smaller than that of the case. Shoes should have socks in them, wrapped in plastic and then wrapped in a shirt to soften edges and then placed where the bottom of the case/bundle will be.
* Wrap the sides of the shirt up firmly and then carefully pull the bottom of the shirt up.
* Holding this bundle securely, place it carefully on your trousers and wrap your trousers firmly but ot too tightly around this shirt-bundle in layers, vertically then horizontally alternating sides so one layer holds the other in place.

If you need to get to your shoes as soon as you get off the plane, reverse the placement of the inside shoe bundle so that it is at the top behind the collar and wrap the trousers horizontally, then the bottom and then the top last, so all you need to do is to lift the top layer and get to your change of shoes. If wrapped correctly, there should be minimal shifting & creasing even when the heavy shoes are on top.

By using the entire length,width and depth of the case, the fold lines are softened and those that are there are usually close to where your body would naturally cause the fabric to crease: elbow, shoulder/side, waist. Needs just a shake or quick hot shower steam/iron touch up.

If you are bringing multiple shirts with very stiff collars, again you should use the bundle method, but the shirts should be staggered instead on placed on top of another, belts and socks inside the collars to help keep the shape.

Suit jackets can be folded similar to the method used to fold fitted sheets. Take 1 sleeve fold forward diagonally and insert that shoulder into the opposite shoulder. The blazer should now be roughly folded in half lengthwise. Pull outstanding sleeve forward. Then wrap around shirt-bundle vertically before the trouser wrapping.

Last edited by tcl; Aug 3, 2009 at 10:21 am Reason: added suit jacket folding
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:01 pm

I agree that some people use so many packing solutions and extra bags and doodads it's killing the light packing effort. And thanks for the compliment.

Here is my take on packing cubes from another nice thread of a self-admitted overpacking lady who is on her way to become a very light packer.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12196033-post138.html

Till
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Great tips!!! Thank u
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:26 pm

Thanks! BTW, I like your screenname.

This thread is also part of the packing sticky: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...pack-suit.html

Just making sure everyone knows this, since there is really a whole lot more info in the sticky.

Enjoy!

Till

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.