Reload this Page >

Best Detergent for Sink Laundry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 1:48 pm

Your on vacation. Who wants to do laundry on vacation. Just walk it to a laundry-mat or dry cleaner. Best money you will spend. I would even pay the hotel laundry premium before spending vacation time at the laundry, not to mention carrying around more junk. Also why not buy laundry soap when you get there thus avoiding the need to carry the soap.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:11 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new user from this forum. I like very much to join this forum.

Thanks
Sublime
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Get "Rei in der tube." This German product is hands down the best stuff ever for sink laundry.

I always decant it into a small leakproof 2OZ Nalgene bottle and have never had an issue.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
For me: Normal detergent, such as Tide, filled into a Nalgene 2 oz. Square Wide-Mouth Leakproof Bottle (found at e.g. Container Store for less than $2). Important to get the square ones! I am using them for years for a variety of liquids and never had any leakage. Hands-down the best bottles for this type of duty. Bring household latex gloves.
Never had an issue with TSA or other security checks with the strange blue color of the detergent.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

Yes Kyoto, I agree. Good plan.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: no
I sue pril and colin plus a powdered detergent for this job the powdered detergent has worked best for me from all time . Yyou should also use that
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
I use this:
laundry sheets laundry sheets
. Although they look like they're only for washing machines, they aren't -- they dissolve easily in cold water in the sink for hand washing. The sheets are large, so I cut them into smaller pieces. I find a 2"x3" sheet (or thereabouts) is plenty for an average sink load of laundry.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I use a Canadian product called Dizolve -- I think it is available on Amazon as well. it comes in a fragrance free version (which I like). One strip is for a typical load in a machine, so I use about 1/4 - 1/3 strip in my
Scrubba Scrubba
when doing hotel room laundry (the "Scrubba" is like a big rollup dry bag )

It also comes in handy if you do come across a self service laundry ("Laundromat") and you don't want to use powder from their vending machines (fragrance, too expensive, etc.)

I bought for travel but now use it a home as well instead of those big plastic jugs of laundry soap from Costco (or where ever).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

For those who are looking for something good for wool... I wear a lot of very lightweight merino & cashmere, so I'm pretty cautious on what laundry soaps I use. I really like the wool/cashmere formula made by The Laundress. They refer to it as a Wool & Cashmere shampoo. It is available in a 2 oz travel/trial size bottle. It's pH neutral and smells delicious - cedar and sandalwood. Very nice alternative to the more floral scent most laundry soap has.

Unfortunately, it's not cheap. But neither was all of this merino/cashmere clothing and I want to do all I can to protect it!

And while I've never tried the following, I have seen instructions on Pinterest before for making your own travel detergent "sheets". Essentially, you soak a paper towel with your laundry soap, hang it to dry, then cut into small pieces. Store in a ziplock bag. Then when you need to wash something in the sink/tub, toss 1-2 of your little paper towel pieces into the water and supposedly it makes a sink full of laundry suds.

I might test this idea this week or weekend. I'm curious to know if this might be a viable option for brief trips when I really need to make space/weight count.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WryMartini
For those who are looking for something good for wool... I wear a lot of very lightweight merino & cashmere, so I'm pretty cautious on what laundry soaps I use. I really like the wool/cashmere formula made by The Laundress. They refer to it as a Wool & Cashmere shampoo. It is available in a 2 oz travel/trial size bottle. It's pH neutral and smells delicious - cedar and sandalwood. Very nice alternative to the more floral scent most laundry soap has.

Unfortunately, it's not cheap. But neither was all of this merino/cashmere clothing and I want to do all I can to protect it!
Interesting--everything I own that's merino is perfectly fine washed normally, although the socks do say to wash inside-out. On the other hand, all my stuff is for backcountry use, it's expected to encounter more than the average person dishes out.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I'm trying to decide which to take for sink laundry. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other products that may work well?
I just take plain old baking soda. Works great, cheap, doesn't smell.

wg
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by wendyg
I just take plain old baking soda. Works great, cheap, doesn't smell.

wg
Since the post you quoted back in 2009, I've become a OneBagger for trips of all lengths. While my favorite soap is "Rei in der Tube" from Germany... I have stopped carrying soap. I just plain use whatever shampoo is in the hotel room. Works great for me. I will definitely try your baking soda though for a load of sink laundry @ home.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I can't see if I've posted already or not, but I use some German handwash soap in tubes I bought for 1 euro each at DM. I've tried rei in der tube too, and like, but the cheap stuff works great too :-)
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:14 pm

I assume you are only washing the sweat smell and some light dirt away ,

anything that would cut thru grease and oil , and heavier dirt if you were trekking thru a forest etc
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:57 pm

Lingerie soap. Powder if available. Forever new is the best, but unfortunately is scented.

Edit: Variance by forever new. Powder, unscented. Perfect for travel and sink washing.

Last edited by NeilA; Feb 20, 2020 at 4:41 pm Reason: New info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.