The ultimate daypack - man bag, BR BB107: Detailed Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate daypack - man bag, BR BB107: Detailed Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:48 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I found the BB107 for under $105. Go to www.luggagepros.com where it is $111. Throw a $5 item into my shopping cart and then use coupon code "LP10". Shipped price for the order becomes $104.40.

Last edited by Craig6z; Aug 21, 2009 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 21, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Craig6z
I found the BB107 for under $105. Go to www.luggagepros.com where it is $111. Throw a $5 item into my shopping cart and then use coupon code "LP10". Shipped price for the order becomes $104.40.
Nice find, and thanks! Their prices on other discontinued B&R are also a little lower than elsewhere. There is free shipping over $100 (after discount), that's why $5 helps, because otherwise $111 -10% = $99.90 misses free shipping. IOW a 12 cent item would work too.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Pictures of the BB107

Got the bag yesterday and my assistant - Morgan helped me examine it. His research was most useful as it applied to the box the bag came in:

Morgan reading up on how to use the TSA checkpoint approved sleeve that is supplied

The importance of empirical research can not be understated

Last edited by Craig6z; Aug 28, 2009 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Got the bag yesterday and my assistant - Morgan helped me examine it. His research was most useful as it applied to the box the bag came in:

Morgan reading up on how to use the TSA checkpoint approved sleeve that is supplied

The importance of empirical research can not be understated
Possibly the best post of the year! Kudos to you and Morgan. Looks like a nice bag too! And well of course, a spectacular box.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Morgan is a cutie!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Looks like Morgan and I could be great friends, considering our common taste in bags! Congratulations to both of you on the new bag - and the box!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Congrats from me, too. Let us know what you think about it once you've used it a little bit or give a first impressions review. It would be nice to have a second opinion to my original review.

Cheers,

Till
Old Aug 29, 2009, 3:25 pm

Just got mine Friday and already loaded it up with all my cr@p. I love how it stands upright, despite the amount of junk I load into it. A great find for a great price. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:28 pm

Just got back from a trip and mine had arrived as well (thanks for the tips).

Great deal for $99 and change, and am very pleased with this as an alternative carryon. I was surprised at how heavy the bag was empty, and I am not highly weight sensitive when it comes to bags. It seems like it will be great for gadgets and office-type stuff as a "personal item", but probably would not be well suited as a one-bag solution, since there's really not enough thickness in any of the compartments to pack more than a t-shirt. But this is to be expected given that it is an "@work" bag.

I didn't get a box with mine, but I don't have a cat, either, so it's all good.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Pirate
Just got back from a trip and mine had arrived as well (thanks for the tips).

Great deal for $99 and change, and am very pleased with this as an alternative carryon. I was surprised at how heavy the bag was empty, and I am not highly weight sensitive when it comes to bags. It seems like it will be great for gadgets and office-type stuff as a "personal item", but probably would not be well suited as a one-bag solution, since there's really not enough thickness in any of the compartments to pack more than a t-shirt. But this is to be expected given that it is an "@work" bag.

I didn't get a box with mine, but I don't have a cat, either, so it's all good.
The computer compartment in the center is about 2.5" inches deep. That is similar to Airboss compartments. You can pack a full set of clothes in that compartment: Pair of trousers, shirt, underwear, possibly a sweater. Put the laptop in the rear compartment which has the file dividers. Miscellanous gadgets go in the highly compartmentalized front compartment.

Voila, perfect bag for an overnight biz trip.

Till
Old Aug 30, 2009, 8:11 am

There is more room in there than it first looked, but to my mind it is still a bit limiting.

The compartment measures out at 2 1/4" on the outside fully extended, but only about an inch of that is visible from the inside because of the padding around the front and back panels. So, we pretty much agree you could get maybe one change in there easily and could probably squeeze in another item if pressed. But it's not nearly as big or as flexible as a Tumi medium messenger, which is around 5" deep in the main compartment before expansion, mostly undivided. The tradeoff, of course, is the much greater compartmentation and organization in the B&R.

It's not a criticism, just wanted to mention this because it doesn't really come across in the thread.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 8:27 am

One other point of comparison - one side of a Tom Bihn Western Flyer is around 3" deep.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Im really wondering if either this (the 107) or the BR225 will work for me. I looked at the measurements and it seems it would fit in a Skytrain. Im basically looking for a bag that can do several things:

1) Carry my computer and stuff I dont want to check (meds, phone, work papers, and one change of clothes, etc). That way if Im late connecting or whatever and have to check a bag I can put it under a seat (even on an RJ)

2) Fit either in a Skytrain or on top of a small rolling B&R cabin bag

3) Work as a briefcase when I get to my destination.

My computer will be either a MB Air or a 10 inch netbook (eee).

Im looking at these two B&Rs, the Metro and CPA from Red Oxx and the Empire Builder and Zephyr from Tom Bihn. Anyone know which of these will fit in a Skytrain or have any other thoughts. There are like three threads on this related topic and some of these related bags now. Im confused
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Im really wondering if either this (the 107) or the BR225 will work for me. I looked at the measurements and it seems it would fit in a Skytrain. Im basically looking for a bag that can do several things:

1) Carry my computer and stuff I dont want to check (meds, phone, work papers, and one change of clothes, etc). That way if Im late connecting or whatever and have to check a bag I can put it under a seat (even on an RJ)

Im looking at these two B&Rs, the Metro and CPA from Red Oxx and the Empire Builder and Zephyr from Tom Bihn. Anyone know which of these will fit in a Skytrain or have any other thoughts. There are like three threads on this related topic and some of these related bags now. Im confused
The RedOxx Metro will do everything you are looking for and more! I do not know how the AirBoss and SkyTrain compare in size, but I use the Metro often and it fits nicely in the center section of my AirBoss. I also use the CPA when I need something a little larger for my work, however it is too wide to put in the Airboss, but you could use just this bag for a couple of days if you wanted to!

Last edited by TexasMiguel; Aug 31, 2009 at 10:16 am
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

The 225 Vertical Tote will be too stiff and too deep to fit in the Skytrain.

The BB107 will fit inside the Skytrain and on a rolling bag. It has the sleeve to attach it to the telescoping handles. However, it will fill out one entire compartment of the skytrain whether it (the BB107) is full or not because the BB107 is quite stiff. It also weighs as much as the Skytrain.

It will easily fit under the seat. It will hold your office supplies and a change of clothes without a problem. It also looks sufficiently smart to be used as a briefcase.

The included padded computer envelope will be much to big for your two computers. I suggest leaving that envelope at home and simply using whatever sleeve you have for those computers and put them together with the file compartment. Use the big open computer compartment in the center for clothes.

No idea about the other bags.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.