Is Tumi really worth the price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Tumi really worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Question Is Tumi really worth the price?

I really want a new bag and it must be animal print
I saw this
voyager zebra
http://www.luggagepros.com/mpb/IID24684.shtml

20% off to end may

how good are they? as I will be buying without inspecting(unless you know somehwere cheaper)

I dont want a dud
I currently use the Vitorinox carry on and luggage set .
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:01 am

Worth the price is relative. As far as animal print rollaboards go, this is certainly the best quality you can get. In fact, it is the only animal print case I know of from a high grade company. That does not make it any prettier but taste is relative, too.

What is not relative is weight to size ratio. This one is BAD. It is a 20 inch bag but weighs as much as a full-fledged 22" bag.

The answer is easy in the sense that it is the only really high-end animal print roller out there, afaik.

Other brands that have animal print rollers are IT, Liz Claiborne, Ricardo and Heys. None of them is as good as Tumi but none of them is as ugly, either. Sorry, it had to be said.

So if it MUST be an animal print roller, get a cheap one that's light weight so you can handle it yourself. It also has the nice side effect that if you see you get negative feedback from the animal roller case, you can just shelve it without having lost $500.

The additional ruggedness and warranty the Tumi might have are not worth four times the price in a piece of luggage that is for carry-on. It would be the perfect check-in bag though because nobody would steal it.

Till
Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I will comment that I saw the full Liz Claiborne animal print collection in person at a Steinmart here in Florida and it looked plenty durable (much of it was hardside) but weighed a ton.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:35 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
In my experience, Tumi is well worth the $$$. I have an expandable laptop bag (leather version) and Ive been using & abusing it since 2000 and its still going strong. Minor repairs have been taken care of Tumi at no cost.... ^
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by tfar
Worth the price is relative. As far as animal print rollaboards go, this is certainly the best quality you can get. In fact, it is the only animal print case I know of from a high grade company. That does not make it any prettier but taste is relative, too.

What is not relative is weight to size ratio. This one is BAD. It is a 20 inch bag but weighs as much as a full-fledged 22" bag.

The answer is easy in the sense that it is the only really high-end animal print roller out there, afaik.

Other brands that have animal print rollers are IT, Liz Claiborne, Ricardo and Heys. None of them is as good as Tumi but none of them is as ugly, either. Sorry, it had to be said.

So if it MUST be an animal print roller, get a cheap one that's light weight so you can handle it yourself. It also has the nice side effect that if you see you get negative feedback from the animal roller case, you can just shelve it without having lost $500.

The additional ruggedness and warranty the Tumi might have are not worth four times the price in a piece of luggage that is for carry-on. It would be the perfect check-in bag though because nobody would steal it.

Till

I cant believe he said that it has to be a he . most females would kill for it!!!
yes I thought it a little heavy. bummer I cant check it out before ordering
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Tumi bags are very heavy, relative to their size.

Even the leopard-print ones.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
That is hard to say

I own a number of Tumi bags (more than 5) and each has a different use. Besides my Tumi briefcase my (2) 20" rollers and large duffel get the most use. I have never had a issue with these bags, they have held up well and have survived everything the airlines can and do through at them. Some of my bags are over 15 years old and still going strong. As someone pointed out if you have a problem Tumi will fix it.
But now having said all that I think some of the recent pricing from Tumi is just wrong. I do not think I would purchase aagin at non-sale prices. Even then I would probably pause since I think they are just too high. One thing I have moticed is that about once a year Tumi will have a great sale. Usually, this is on colors or prints that did not sell well and are most likely being closed out. If you can wait I think you will see the bag you are looking for at that sale.
But, if that is waht you want take heart in knowing that it could be the last bag you need to buy. With that thought in mind I only bought Tumi bags in black out of balistic nylon (except my briefcase which is leather) since I did not want to change because of style.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We have a lot of luggage over the years tucked away in the attic that is no longer usable.

Not a single one of those is a tumi. They easily outlast many other bags by factors of three to five times as long.

I believe the 20% is system wide for some pieces, it's the same price at the Tumi website.

If you have a Tumi outlet near by you can check to see if they have it or not, but beware of the warantee, you save some bucks but don't always get the lifetime coverage. I've not seen that style at the outlets I've been to recently though.

Yes, it is a lot of money, but if you use it a lot, it will easily outlast several less expensive bags.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I give away my luggage when it is no longer up to being depended on (GoodWill and Salvation Army love to get luggage as many people in shelters have no bags other than trash sacks). However, every piece of Tumi I have ever bought, and some is over 25 years old, is still in working order..... just out of date in theory of the bag.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Didar56; Apr 3, 2011 at 1:41 am
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Didar56
The prior comment mentioned giving old suitcases away to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, as many homeless or in-need people would appreciate them.

I recently tried to donate a never-used, perfect condition, still in the box Samsonite "carry"-style suitcase -- old school with a small handle, no wheels, you remember those -- and as soon as I walked into both Goodwill and the Salvation Army, when they saw what I was carrying, they told me they did not want it. Apparently even homeless people require roller-style bags with extension handles and wheels. So these is no option for old carry-style suitcases other than the landfill ?
Sad but all based on marketing and mentality. I'd say just use it yourself. If it doesn't fit your travel needs perhaps it can serve as a tool box, or a special storage container for equipment you use for one of your hobbies.

I recently found a Zero Halliburton style alu briefcase in perfect condition at Goodwill for 10 bucks. I will use it for carrying cigars and accessories to herfs (for non-smokers: a herf is a meeting for cigar smokers). These meetings are always a bit nerdy so that's just the thing for it.

Till
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Wow, Goodwill and Salvation Army in my area both take all sorts of suitcases. We pack them wtih donated clothes and household items and take them to the collection centers.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Talking Short answer-maybe

Tinkybell-If you absolutly demand animal print(and good on you for this!)then the definative answer is,,,maybe
Tumi as a brand has lost its customer first approach to service.What used to be a lifetime no questions asked policy is now a 3 year limited warenty and repairs can take awhile.Once out of warrenty repairs can be costly.
The weight/size ratio has been severely reduced in place of style.
The bags are now made in China.So IMO you are paying big bucks for a lesser quality bag.
But-it just might be the best animal print bag out there unless you go reallllllly high end with an Hermes custom bag or the like.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I find it better to replace my laptop case every 3 years. 9 years ago, it had a compartment for floppy drives, but nothing for CD's or DVD's.

6 years ago, I had a smaller laptop and I had way too much wasted space so I got another one - this time, an overnighter so I could put in two days worth of clothes. And there's compartments for digital cameras and cellphone so I had to buy this one.

3 years ago, everything's much smaller now so I get another one that has smaller and more frequent compartments for my flash drives, memory cards, LED flashlight, etc.

Now, I just ordered another one that's a little bigger, with even more compartments (laser pointer, extra batteries, battery charger, airplane plugs, etc.) and can fit 3 days of clothes.

It's made out of leather. Or do you really have to have the animal prints?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:17 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I find I cannot justify the cost for Tumi and other high end luggage. My needs and styles change too often for me to lock into a specific item for a long period of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.