Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

another help me pick a bag thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi!

Been lurking around here looking for a new rollerboard and can't quite decide. Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

I am traveling weekly M-F. So the requirements are

Fits in the overhead compartment (Delta, United, AA, possibly SW) so 21-22x14x9
Expandable for the occasional overpack
2 wheeled
Don't carry suits but once a year so suiter is not a requirement

Typical stuff:

5 of slacks, 5 polos, 5 undershirts, underwear, socks,
2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of jeans, extra pair of shoes
occasionally a jacket, umbrella

I feel comfortable spending less than 300$ . Was looking at the Victorinox CH97 22 but read from one of the reviews that they tipped over and some negative reviews on durability of Travelpro Crew series.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
If you don't need a rollerboard have you looked at the Red Oxx air boss. It is under $300.00 and will fit in any plane you fly without gate checking. You may also want to look at the Tom Bihn aeronaut 45 or tri-star. Both are great bags if you do not need to carry a suit. The air boss can carry a suit or sport coat when needed. When I do not have to carry a suit I carry the aeronaut 45.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:52 am

I believe the OP said 2 wheels....
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dangster
looking for a new rollerboard
Originally Posted by powerlifter
If you don't need a rollerboard

That aside, would recommend either of these eBags offerings with wheels. They travel well,stand up to wear and come in funky colors if your want to stand out, black if you don't. Some colors are on sale. If you decide to buy from eBags make sure your sign up for a promo to save 15-20%.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...rlid=DETAIL_AI

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...rlid=DETAIL_AI

I do have a wheel free suggestion, but as you didn't ask for it....
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold
If you can get away with reducing the number of slacks, that will give you tons more room. That's a lot of slacks for a 5 day trip. Depending on color, you can mix and match, which is what I do on 5-10 day trips.

I've moved away from rollerboard to non-wheels (Tom Bihn Aeronaught 45). I'm sorry that I don't have too many recommendations but other folks will chime in.

I have the 20in travelpro Crew 9. I wasn't in love with it and if you put too much in the front pockets it will tip over. I learned to only put a few papers/pens in the front pockets.

eBags has some really cool bags, but I haven't checked out their 22in. too closely. I have a 25in for check in that I do love. I see someone just posted some links as I was typing this.

You may look around for a Briggs and Riley sale. If you are in the U.S. and a Costco member, they occasionally show up there.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.

@ck777, I have a 21x14x9 right now and with all of the stuff I listed, I still could fill up a bit more stuff and get it in the overhead compartment Bundle packing seemed to do the job.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Have a look at delsey.

Hi,

I suggest taking a look at the delsey brand because they have a wide range of price points, features, and produce, from what I've seen, a good bag.

I also second the previous poster who mentioned ebags. They have very well thought out bags, with the caveat that they may be best used with packing cubes.

Cheers!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:03 am
Original Poster

I took the plunge with the eBag posted above. Used 15% off code from their website and 15% ebates. Should come out to 130$. Would have been great if the AMX offer was still available.

thanks for all the suggestions
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dangster
I took the plunge with the eBag posted above. Used 15% off code from their website and 15% ebates. Should come out to 130$. Would have been great if the AMX offer was still available.

thanks for all the suggestions
Cool - let us know how it works out by posting a review.

Did you go for the roller or the duffle?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I went with the roller. Its more like what I'm used to. Definitely will update the thread after i take it on a trip
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Here's my quick first impression with the TLS 22" Expandable Carry-On . Compared to my previous Bob Mackie which i got free from Toyota for some reason. It has seen 100K miles and still holding up. I also ordered the Kirkland 22 bag but will return due to risks of not fitting

So the biggest difference from my previous one is the TLS 22 can be squished if there isn't much inside holding it up. There is little internal shell to support. Anything fragile will not have much protection. The top handle is mounted with 2 rivets instead of 4 like my previous. The side handle is attached to softer fabric instead of the internal shell. I dont expect to use this handle much so it shouldn't be too bad. The telescoping handle wiggle slightly and dropped down does not have a cutout for your hand to go down. The Kirkland handle seems a lot better. Visually the material seems more durable but not as durable as the Kirkland 22 roller. Too bad the Kirkland one seems too big otherwise i'd keep it.

The pockets of the eBag are much more useful have good warranty so I will run with this for a while and see how it goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.