Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How to get ambien?

How to get ambien?

Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Amnesia! Did I or didn't I take that cruise? Let me check. Ok, the trip report is still there, so I must have. I need to remember to read that package insert. Or wait, maybe I did already. I don't remember or do I.
I get a very odd side effect that I call amnesia but it's more I forget that I can remember. For example, I'll take one, watch TV or use the internet while it kicks in and the next morning I can't really recall what I watched until I'm reminded of it by some kind of hint. Like I'll read a thread and halfway through I'll realise I read it the night before. It's hard to explain but some people don't like that feeling. There's tons of stories around about how people take one, aren't satisfied that it's working, take another one and when they wake up in the morning they've taken the whole strip of 10 tablets and can't remember doing it. It works but be careful!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
I get a very odd side effect that I call amnesia but it's more I forget that I can remember. For example, I'll take one, watch TV or use the internet while it kicks in and the next morning I can't really recall what I watched until I'm reminded of it by some kind of hint. Like I'll read a thread and halfway through I'll realise I read it the night before. It's hard to explain but some people don't like that feeling. There's tons of stories around about how people take one, aren't satisfied that it's working, take another one and when they wake up in the morning they've taken the whole strip of 10 tablets and can't remember doing it. It works but be careful!

Read the comments attached to this... mostly hilarious
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/your...opinionid=8725
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:26 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by holtju2
Just buy these from countries where you don't need a prescription at all. Just walk to the pharmacy and tell what you would like to buy.
Lunesta OTC in China ..Generic "zopiclone" 12 tabs 5USD.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Lunesta OTC in China ..Generic "zopiclone" 12 tabs 5USD.
Lunesta is the brand name for the drug eszopiclone; zopiclone is a closely related drug, and from most perspectives can be treated as identical BUT since it's not a generally available drug in the US, can cause extra problems at customs.

Then again, all of the Z-drug sleeping medicines are scheduled (sched 4 I believe) and one should take care to be within the law (or exceeding its requirements where it's unclear) if importing them for personal use.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:09 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
Lunesta is the brand name for the drug eszopiclone; zopiclone is a closely related drug, and from most perspectives can be treated as identical BUT since it's not a generally available drug in the US, can cause extra problems at customs.
If one is getting something like that overseas for the first time (in small quantities), I'd be more worried about how it makes one act on the flight back and any legal consequences of those actions.

Seriously, people who are considering Z-drugs (or benzos) should be careful. They're wonderful medications, but an international flight is not the first time you want to wake up and not remember when or how you got to sleep. Consider that you may be fully aware of the dangers of combining these drugs with alcohol and be firm in not combining the two... before you take the drug.

Just so people don't think I'm against the modulation of GABA receptors: I would not hesitate to take these drugs... except when I'm alone away from home.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ralfp
If one is getting something like that overseas for the first time (in small quantities), I'd be more worried about how it makes one act on the flight back and any legal consequences of those actions.

Seriously, people who are considering Z-drugs (or benzos) should be careful. They're wonderful medications, but an international flight is not the first time you want to wake up and not remember when or how you got to sleep.
That's very, very good advice for trying any kind of sleep medicine, or any other new non-emergency drug: it's best to try it near home, and near your regular health care provider, in case there's an adverse reaction. Sleep-med related amnesia certainly counts as an adverse reaction - my own experience was after changing BP meds, passing out.

Consider that you may be fully aware of the dangers of combining these drugs with alcohol and be firm in not combining the two... before you take the drug.
That's a particular danger of these, but you can generalize that to self-prescribing anything based on advice on the internet.

Just so people don't think I'm against the modulation of GABA receptors: I would not hesitate to take these drugs... except when I'm alone away from home.
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but certainly you don't want to be experimenting with how you respond to a new drug like that when alone and away from home.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:29 am

it's best to try it near home, and near your regular health care provider,
I'd say that, IMO, having a family member or good friend (good enough to be willing to use force to stop stupid behavior) nearby, preferably awake, is critical. Plenty of people get in trouble at home with this kind of drug.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but certainly you don't want to be experimenting with how you respond to a new drug like that when alone and away from home.
I'd hesitate to take Z-drugs or benzos while alone away from home; that is to say I'd still be willing to use them.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
Read the comments attached to this... mostly hilarious
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/your...opinionid=8725
Not that funny IMO
Lunestra's metalic taste takes hours to go away. I have thrown the bottle in the trash
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Not that funny IMO
Lunestra's metalic taste takes hours to go away. I have thrown the bottle in the trash
In fairness, the one on the third page entitled "pee fest" made me laugh out loud in my office for a few minutes.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Some docs do not like to prescribe sleeping pills even for travel. I have recently had one that would prescribe anything I asked for but was medication happy in general and my current one who tries to keep all meds to a minimum and will not prescribe ambien for travel.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Teacher49
Some docs do not like to prescribe sleeping pills even for travel. I have recently had one that would prescribe anything I asked for but was medication happy in general and my current one who tries to keep all meds to a minimum and will not prescribe ambien for travel.
It's all about the specific patient, but a blanket policy like that is a sign of a doctor to be avoided. Jet lag-induced insomnia is about as transient as insomnia gets.

For some it can be a health issue. If one must frequently travel for work in ways that cause serious jet-lag related insomnia, it can seriously affect one's well-being. Sure, the "ideal" solution is less travel, but that's often not an option.

Did the guy/gal suggest something like Rozerem, or even a melatonin supplement?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I went to my primary care doc and he was more than happy to give me a virtual "trick-or-treat bag" full of samples (Ambien, Prilosec, etc).

I got about a half dozen or so samples of Ambien CR which I haven't tried yet. I normally go with Xanax (Alprolazam- generic) - One 0.5mg (we call 'em "Bluey's") usually does the trick for me. It takes the edge off enough for me to pass out, but won't put me down for days. Only side effect is a little grogginess once in awhile. These also work great for those restless nights when I'm trapped in a small bunk on a tour bus.

I am going to try the Ambien sometime one of these nights while I'm home to make sure I don't have any weird reactions to it because I will be flying LAX-MEL in a couple weeks and would sure like to use one on that trip.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Ambien causes hallucinations for me. Weird and a little scary.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
[QUOTE=Teacher49;10844212]Some docs do not like to prescribe sleeping pills even for travel. QUOTE]

My doc REFUSED to prescribe ambien for "use in planes" but did compromise with me on Sonata for "use when jetlagged, at HOME!"

Oh if she only knew!!

PS...sonata is the way to go..works GREAT for me!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL BA UA | SPG MR
Originally Posted by iff
Do avoid buying it via the internet as you have no way to tell what's really in those pills.
Like anything else on the internet, you just have to do your research first. I ran a 100% legit offshore pharmacy for a few years and we did not send a single false pill. Our products were FDA approved for import into the USA just like yours.

There are plenty of online pharmacy review sites and forums which can point you in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.