FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Compression socks for pregnant wife (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/862902-compression-socks-pregnant-wife.html)

mtaplits Sep 5, 2008 3:02 am

Compression socks for pregnant wife

Hi, I've been told that pregnant women should wear compression socks while flying, especially for long distances. In November my wife (pregnant 4 months at that time) will be flying with me from Hong Kong to Newark.

Does anyone have suggestions on a really good pair of these socks?

Thanks!

IrishRed Sep 5, 2008 11:57 am

I've bought a few that were promoted for travelers, but to be honest I find the ones from the Diabetic care section at the drug store work just as well, if not better, and are a third of the price.

JPL9869 Sep 5, 2008 6:39 pm

First make sure she checks with her OB/Gyn.

Second, with her docs approval, make sure she gets "graduated compression" socks with the least ammount of compression. It should be around 10-15 mm Hg of compression. There are maternity specific stockings pantyhose as well. DO NOT GET THE ANTI-EMBOLISM SOCKS!

Some of the more common brand names are Jobst, Activa, TEDs, and Futuro.

I recommend going to a home medical store that has a fitter that specializes in these types of socks.

Non-NonRev Sep 6, 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by JPL9869 (Post 10319900)
Some of the more common brand names are Jobst, Activa, TEDs, and Futuro.

If the doctor gives her/his OK, I would recommend the Jobst - good support, choice of compression, choice of styles and colors - and reasonable cost as opposed to some of the other brands.

If your budget is limited, Dr. Scholl markets a diabetic sock that, while not as good as the above, is more reasonably priced, and can often be found in national discount stores.

dchristiva Sep 11, 2008 12:08 pm

My wife's OB/GYN recommended wearing compression stockings to limit swelling in her legs. Fair enough, but then we went to buy what she recommended and they cost between $60 and $120! :eek:

JPL9869 Sep 11, 2008 2:23 pm

none of them are cheap... The Jobst are probably the most expensive, try to find the Activa; if nothing else the Futuro can be found at CVS, Walgreens etc... Just make sure they are graduated....

iff Sep 11, 2008 2:43 pm

If you've talked with your doctor and know what level of compression you need, it's generally cheaper to buy them online than from a local medical supplier.

LadyPhoenix Sep 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by mtaplits (Post 10315170)
Hi, I've been told that pregnant women should wear compression socks while flying, especially for long distances.

When you say "long distances", do you mean 3 hours and more?

lin821 Sep 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix (Post 10355870)
When you say "long distances", do you mean 3 hours and more?

The flight/s from HK to Newark is definitely long distance. ;)

In November my wife (pregnant 4 months at that time) will be flying with me from Hong Kong to Newark.

lin821 Sep 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi, I've been told that pregnant women should wear compression socks while flying,

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 10352850)
My wife's OB/GYN recommended wearing compression stockings to limit swelling in her legs.

Actually, that's my understanding too. It doesn't just apply to flying.

For pregnant women, it's better to wear them all the time, especially during later stage of pregnancy. To the best of my knowledge, it helps limit swelling and is supposedly to make recovery easier after giving birth. But you do have to find the right compressions that fit your needs/condition.

I can't name the brands but I do know there are quite a few quality Japanese and Taiwanese name brands. mtaplits, if you guys are flying from HK, I would think it should be easy to find the Asia-made products there (unless, you are shopping for them in the States).

lrn_atl Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Hello,

I am not pregnant but always wear them when I travel. I use Ames Walker (online) and prices are very reasonable (check the clearance section if you don't care about color, etc.)

koalamama Oct 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Check out Bright Life Direct http://www.brightlifedirect.com/

They have their own brand (Allegro), which is very reasonably priced, as well as all the other name brands. I have bought compression socks and stockings from them for years.

mikatie78 Mar 15, 2011 10:01 pm

This might help . . .

Hello!
I read through your posts, and most people did give great answers. Here is a new brand of socks that I think you would REALLY like. It looks like it's a little too late, but for anyone else that comes across this site. When I was 6 months pregnant, I flew across the country to LA and was very swollen and achy when I landed. I then put on compression socks, and flew to Australia - I had less swelling on an 18 hour flight than I did on a 3 hour flight!! The socks worked wonders. Here is a link for more info. www.babyyourlegs.com

Good luck!

cchrissyy Sep 9, 2011 9:58 pm

I like these knee-highs