Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Laptop + backpack = struggle. Looking for assistance in finding the right one.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I have a macbook pro 15.4" and have some international travel coming. Thought the perfect solution was available with the pacsafe daysafe 200, but its laptop sleeve is .6" too short to hold a MBP. It might "stretch" to encompass the laptop since it is only 1" thick but asking pacsafe directly has not given me a clear answer.

Has anyone else tried the daysafe 200 with a MBP? If so, I can stop my search now.

If not, anyone have any other suggestions?

I am *not* looking for a commuter bag, as they are (to me) uncomfortable in the extreme. I want something with nice shoulder straps and an ergonomic design (sternum straps, maybe a hard or shaped back) for all day wearing. Needs to hold some books and a camera, plus other electronics. You know, the standard "I wouldn't put any of this in checked baggage" stuff. Huge isn't required, but roomy is good.

Pacsafe seemed perfect as I could lock it to something that couldn't be easily removed in a room without a safe and also not worry if I am walking around in a city I don't know (or do know).
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:17 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may want to check out the Travel Technology forum... lots of threads there on carry on luggage.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I have a huge 17" model, yet this Wenger SwissGear backpack holds it, several accessories and the power charger with room for papers and some extras no problem. Maybe try one of the packs from their line?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
try www.sfbags.com

they have bags specifically made for different Mac models
I bought a bag from them when the original Mac Titanium was released, the bag still looks like new, great quality

^
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:24 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
Tom Bihn

I am a huge fan of Tom Bihn's bags. You buy a sleeve to fit your specific bag and they tell you which bags will hold that sleeve. Http://www.tombihn.com

I have an MBP 15" and use the Brain Bag all over the world. It holds a ton, books, food, water, all my cords, my Bose QC2s, my pashima, an umbrella, spare batteries, etc. and I can still lift it and wear comfortably.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
In addition to Tom Bihn (I've got his briefcase -- Zeypher), I'd also recommend Brenthaven (http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-backpacks.html). I've used their backpack for a 15 in MacBook Pro (and for some years before that for the G4 Ti Book) with very good luck.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:56 pm

I too have a macbook pro 15.4". I just put it in my carryon messenger bag with the laptop sleeve that came with it, although it's about a half an inch too short and won't fit it. Pick out a nice neoprene sleeve for it at the Apple Store and stick it in your backpack. The cool part is, you can put the sleeve in the bin underneath your laptop to serve as padding when you go through security.

There's also a samsonite messenger bag that I used to have that fit my macbook pro quite sungly. But after 2-3 years of abuse (rolling around in the car, dropping it all over the place, etc.) it was ripped and beyond rescuing, so I had to get a new swissgear bag that's not wide or tall enough to fit my macbook pro. It fits vertically, but the bag won't zip. I need a new messenger bag....
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
I use a Jansport Odyssey 38 backpack...fabulous capacity and comfortable shoulder straps, and yet can still be squeezed into overhead locations where rollaboards can't. And for my laptop, I have an REI padded laptop sleeve that fits comfortably in the main backpack pocket, and of course can be removed to be able to thin out the backpack for storage in the smaller overheads of regional sh*tboxes, er, jets.

Have been using this combination for literally years with great results.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tarjan
I have a macbook pro 15.4"
Have you looked at Brenthaven?

http://www.brenthaven.com/#

They make bags (all types) specifically for macs.

I don't have a mac, but have had two Brenthaven bags. One backpack, which is still in great condition after 5 years of averaging 150,000 miles per year. My back gave out, so I got a wheeled bag from them.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I'm also a proponent of the neoprene sleeve/backpack combo. I'm typing this on a 15" MBP, but I've also got a 13" Ibook I've hauled all over the world in a sleeve and a Kelty Redhawk REI-special backpack. Makes it easier to get the lappie in and out from the seat ahead of me without undue hassle.

Hub and I are also big fans of the Timbuk2 line...he's got a Underground Day Pack in a Speck plastic case (http://tinyurl.com/3cdclw) that'll fit a 17" MBP without any trouble. Those bags are waterproof and nearly indestructible. His is here: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...round-day-pack
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by drat19
I use a Jansport Odyssey 38 backpack...fabulous capacity and comfortable shoulder straps, and yet can still be squeezed into overhead locations where rollaboards can't. And for my laptop, I have an REI padded laptop sleeve that fits comfortably in the main backpack pocket, and of course can be removed to be able to thin out the backpack for storage in the smaller overheads of regional sh*tboxes, er, jets.

Have been using this combination for literally years with great results.
I'll second the plug for an REI padded laptop sleeve. After I bought one, I convinced our company to buy one for all of our travelers.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:20 pm

I have a Wenger laptop/backpack as well. I'm happy with it, and they are reasonable too ($80 or so).
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:46 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
So What is the best backpack or rucksack on the market? I need one durable, large (europeans might even think that it would be very large but that is only because I am a big person) and most importantly durable. My last swiss made one fell apart in just a few months.

suggestions....
Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:13 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel Products forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:53 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Please follow the discussion in our Travel Products forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Where is that discussion? Please explain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.