Wiki Posts
Search

How to pack neckties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Question How to pack neckties

I've tried the search function but nothing turned up.

H loves his neckties. Is there a good way to pack several of them in checked luggage?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have an interior zipper pocket along the side of my carryon where I store 1 or 2 ties (folded in half). Otherwise, I roll them up.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I also roll mine
There are cheap tie cases of plastic or leather out thereI think these are worth it since the protect the ties.
If you do not need fancy TP tubes work ok also-but I think it worth the $10 to buy a real case.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by izzik
Otherwise, I roll them up.
I roll, too. Folding leads to wrinkles. I also roll them with the side of the tie that would face my shirt on the outside of the roll, just in case anything gets onto the material.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:47 pm
AMA

You can buy a tie case at most good department stores that carry men's goods. I got one at a Dillards yrs ago.
About 6" wide, 12-14" long, 1/2-1" thick.
Holds lots of ties, sturdy, doesn't take up much space in a suitcase. Keeps 'em in mint condition.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
For what it's worth - I roll mine too.

Another hint - for dress shirts and suits, it helps to put them on a hanger then cover them in those thin dry cleaning plastic cover sheets. (One item per sheet.) Keeps wrinkles down to a minimum.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: DLPM MM
Three options, depending on how many ties and what else I am packing and how space constrained I am.

1. Roll the tie and put it in a shoe. The rolled tie, on its side, will fit perfectly in the heel of the shoe and is completely protected. I usually stuff a pair or two of socks in first, so making full use of the shoe as storage. Put each show in a separate bag - big ziplock or I collect fabric shoe bags from LH C flights. The imposition of a numerical relationship between ties and shoes may not suit everyone.

2. Use an Eagle Creek Pack-it folder. Fold and arrange all shirts in Pack-it. Then lay a tie diagonally across the shirts and wrap around. As many ties as necessary can be crossed over each other. This works great if you are not packing shoes and option 1 is not possible.

3. A folding tie holder, as mentioned before, when I have a voluminous bag that I will check in. But I find they are a little short and unless you take care, you can get a horizontal crease that will be just below the knot. I solve this by folding the tie in half, then folding again to put in the holder, so that the main part of the tie now has a layer beneath it when folded, so less likely to crease.

An as yet unused ultimate option is to switch to bow ties, which pack much more easily, but tend to label one as a bit eccentric, especially in the USA.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I roll, too. Folding leads to wrinkles. I also roll them with the side of the tie that would face my shirt on the outside of the roll, just in case anything gets onto the material.
^ Agree with this--if you have to fold, don't leave them folded for any longer than necessary--I had a very nice folding tie travel carrier that put a very nice crease in a couple of ties.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:19 am

Rolling works well. An old boss used to put his in a binder - the kind that hold a legal pad and had a velcro tab holding it shut. It worked, but it seemed too bulky unless you used the binder too (he did).
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Rolled for me too. I tried one of those tie cases, but it was one more thing in my already crowded bag.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
If I am carrying a tie, I probably am carrying a suit, too. So, I drape the tie around the neck of the suit/hanger. If I pack the tie, I roll it and put it in a shoe.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel with 2 ties & 2 suits every week - I use these:

http://www.wildties.com/ties/WS227249.html
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:17 pm

Coincidently, I saw this article on the front page of the WSJ this morning.
Many American men stopped wearing neckties years ago. Now, even tie guys are giving up on them.

After 60 years, the Men's Dress Furnishings Association, the trade group that represents American tie makers, is expected to shut down Thursday.

Association members now number just 25, down from 120 during the 1980s power-tie era. U.S. tie companies have been consolidating. Others have closed because of overseas competition as the U.S. market share for American-made ties has fallen to about 40%, from 75% in 1995.

Members have lost interest. But the biggest reason for the group's demise: Men aren't wearing ties.
For those interested you can read it here.http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1212...hpp_us_pageone
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The summer time temperature in our offices was raised 4 degrees. Even the old conservatives now only wear dress shirts and ties to important outside meetings.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:54 am

You still wear neckties?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.