Luggage Scale

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Luggage Scale

For years we used a regular scale to weight our luggage. Balancing big suitcases was never perfect and we never got an accurate measure (especially with 28" suitcases).

I was wondering if anyone tried an inexpensive hanging luggage scale such as these found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Travelon-Portabl...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:10 am

I recently got this luggage scale and I've been very pleased with it.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pred02
For years we used a regular scale to weight our luggage. Balancing big suitcases was never perfect and we never got an accurate measure (especially with 28" suitcases).

I was wondering if anyone tried an inexpensive hanging luggage scale such as these found on eBay:
I have the version of that scale without the tape measure and it works quite well for my luggage (Eagle Creek). Mechanically, I'm not sure how you would use it for big suitcases - it might take two people to lift?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
With a regular scale you can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself carrying the suitcase. The difference would be the weight of the bag.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:38 pm
iff

I have that scale. When I moved to France I had a 28" suitcase plus a large rolling duffel, both of which I packed to just under the 50-pound limit. When I got to the airport, the airport scale showed exactly what the hanging scale had said.

To make things easier when weighing such a big, heavy bag, I used a permanent marker to draw a line at the 50-pound mark and stood in front of a full-length mirror while hanging my bag on the scale. That way I could see at a glance whether or not I was over the limit.

Standing on a regular scale never worked for me with larger, heavier bags because if I was holding them so they were balanced, I couldn't see the scale readout.

Anyway, it's a very handy little tool at a reasonable price.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
I have the same hanging scale and find it works great - really usefull and accurate
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakuda
With a regular scale you can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself carrying the suitcase. The difference would be the weight of the bag.
Some household members "refuse" to weight themselves.

Anyway, it's a very handy little tool at a reasonable price.
Did anyone get the cheap ones off eBay, or just the Amazon one?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakuda
That's what I do...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anyone get the cheap ones off eBay, or just the Amazon one?
I just picked mine up to look at it and, surprise!, it has the tape measure.

So, while I did not get it from eBay, it is the same scale.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:21 pm
iff

Originally Posted by birdstrike
I just picked mine up to look at it and, surprise!, it has the tape measure.

So, while I did not get it from eBay, it is the same scale.
I didn't realize mine had a tape measure, either! and yes, I have the same scale, although I bought it from eBags when they still carried it.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
That's not a great price for that scale once you add in the shipping. It sells in local luggage stores for that for under $10. Can be hard to find at times though.

I've bought many, love it, and give it as gifts many times. The only complaint would be the face scratches very easy, but it's still very accurate. Saved us much hassle at the airports when packing a bag full of wine, ends any redistribution at checkin.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:58 pm

There are 2 versions of the manual scale. The older version only had a single arm and required using the assistance of another person or a mirrior since the hand reset to zero as soon as you took the bag off. The newer version has a 2nd arm that goes up, but then must be manually reset to zero. As a result you can weigh the bag, put down the bag, read the scale, then reset the 2nd arm. Both version tend to be prced jsut the same, so buy the one with the 2nd arm.

For $10, it really is a great product and it easier to take it with you on trips for the return flight than your bathroom scale. -- Suzanne
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:37 pm

I recently bought the Balanzza Digital Luggage Scale. It's great because it locks in the weight so you don't have to use a mirror or another person to read it. It also reads in lbs and kg.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:10 pm

Heck, I bought a 50 pound digital fish scale from in a local store's sporting department, and so far that seems to be working just fine. Plus it has a hold button, so once you lift the luggage you hit the hold button and you can read it after you set the luggage back down. At the time I think it was $10 or $15, which was better than I could get on ebay.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:16 am
Suspended

If you have a tool or device for everything, your house would need to be a warehouse.

If you travel a lot, then the scale is useful.

Considering using a box as a pedestal on the scale or weigh yourself with and without the luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.